How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-13-2003, 08:51 PM
The Molinator

Question

So, if I took the hub (with bearing) to the machine shop to swap the old to new bearing, how would THEY do it?

AGAIN, should I:

1. Try to rent a Hub Tamer in my area and do it myself? (Beav, you said it wasn't as hard as everybody made it out to be, if I heard you right.)

or

2. Let the dealer put my OEM parts in for a few hundred dollars?

Please LET ME KNOW. . . . . . THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. A press by itself won't do the job. You'll need proper support jigs and adaptors to do the job correctly and safely. Machine shops generally have these on hand, as they do them with some frequency. I doubt that you'l readily find a rental store with a HubTamer (or similar.)

My suggestion, as usual, is to remove the knuckle with hub and bearing intact. Trot the assembly down to your local machine shop and have them do the press work. You should get off relatively cheap this way and most machine shops have enough experience to know how to press a bearing without destroying it, whereas, as evidenced by many here, a lot of 'mechanics' don't.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:24 AM
The Molinator

Smile OK! I'll DO IT!

Beav, thanks for the specific guidance!

Out of curiosity, if the average "mechanic" is messing these bearing jobs up, and it's not being done at the machine shop bearing press stage, nor at the torqueing bolts stage, then what's being done incorrectly?

Thanks for all your input!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 03-14-2003, 06:41 PM
Not as old as Randy

Pretty much a little bit of everything. The bearing is undersized for the application, IMHO. The grease that the bearings are shipped with....hmmm...that's a fishy story. I'm not saying that the 'shipping' grease is good, but typically a bearing is coated with cosmolene (sp? a thick, yucky substance for rust prevention) or it's shipped dry or packed with the proper lube.

Next is the actual pressing - I've witnessed many guys use an air hammer to drive hub bearings in and out. O.K., I've done it a time or two myself. However if the hammer bit slips and whacks the machined surface it's hasta la vista, bearing.

Torquing things down properly is also a must. Here again a lot of pros will just whack it with the impact wrench and call it done. Problem is that most of them don't realize how much torque they've just applied. If they just pull the trigger down and hold it until the first smack of the gun that's about 90-100 lbs./ft. Most of them will rata-tat-tat bolts to the 150-200 lb./ft. region.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:22 PM
The Molinator

Bearing WOES. . . . .

Thanks for the info, Beav! I'm gonna try to locate a "HubTamer" or a machine shop.

BTW, I also thought, "why aren't these bearings shipped with the 'right' grease from the factory??. . . . . Are they really saving a bundle of money???"
Old 03-15-2003, 11:25 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
OOO, can I answer.
The bearings are made by Bob, Bob won the contract to make the bearings because he was the cheapest who supplied the bearing as specified by Subaru. Bob was the cheapest because of many reasons, not quality or materials used but because his process was quicker, and Subaru did not specify what grease was to come with the bearing, they just specified that it needs to sit on a shelf for at least 3 years without degrading the bearings integrity. So Bob, shipps it with the cheapest stuff he can get that meets Subaru's specification. It was later that Subaru realized that perhaps they needed to adjust the spec, and this is the mystery? either Bob started packing it with real grease or Subaru just sent out a note to the dealers.

Oh, Bob still makes the bearings, but we don't know who Bob is, so we can't ask for the real details. But SKF does make a simular bearing, and they claim it is a higher spec, but Subaru does not use SKF, probably because they are more expensive than Bob.

fyi, Bob is a ficticious company, mind you, if you didn't get that, thats even funnier.

PS, I just had 2 much coffee, can you tell?

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 03-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Beav

Isn't there a seating depth on these bearings that can cause a problem if not done correctly?

I have taken mine off and taken it to a Subaru Dealer to have them pressed in. The only problem I had with that was to make sure you take the VIN of the vehicle because their computer systems are VIN based. It save a bundle, but was not sure they were very happy doing it that way. But........who cares----it worked.

Lee

PS: Oh yeah, I used the name and address of a friends auto shop so got discounts on bearings and work.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:48 PM
The Molinator

Thumbs up Tame THIS!

I bought a HuBTaMER today on eBay for $205. I was talking to my brother-in-law (car enthusiast, airplane mechanic, doing avionics now) about the tool (he was not aware of it) while he was on the computer. He likes eBay for car parts, etc. So, he looked HuBTaMER up while we were talking. (There it was, big as life.) I decided I would spend several hundreds of dollars if I had the dealer do the whole job (they charged me about $150 per hour last time on a fixed-hour basis), and probably more than $205 if I just had them do the bearing press job (plus I doubt they would have then warranteed the job!). [Plus, I don't really have a third car to use while "they" press the bearings - The GT4 is unlicensed {smog disagreement} and I don't drive it in the rain > OK! I drive it a little when it's dry! {supposed to go exempt next Jan 1}]. I figure I can keep the HuBTaMER (I assume it will help on the front bearings), or I can sell it for a decent price as used ONCE!

I'm back in the game! [I know I'd rather be mad at ME than someone else for ruining the bearings or hubs!]

Last edited by James Scott; 03-17-2003 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:21 AM
The Molinator

Question Dealer PRESS!

Lee,

How much did YOU have to pay for this "machine shop" dealer press job?

How much would us commoners have to pay?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
How Much?

It cost me $220 or two sets of rear bearings with seals, 2 axle nuts and the pressing. But, keep in mind that was a little over 2 years ago and I used a friends auto shop name to get parts discounts.

Might call a dealer using an auto repair shops name and see if they will give you a price.

Lee

SVXx4

PS: with 3 of these things running now, I might check into the HubTamer---still just a little concerned about getting the proper seating depth
Old 03-20-2003, 12:10 AM
The Molinator

Question Grease THIS!

BTW, I know I'm supposed to change grease on the bearings, but how do you do that?

Do I use solvent to remove ALL shipping grease?
Do I then dry with air before packing with quality grease? or
Do I just wipe most shipping grease off? or
Maybe I can blow the shipping grease off with 100 lb air?

LET ME KNOW GUYS. . . THANKS!
Old 03-20-2003, 04:57 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I'm also interested in those questions. Also,

Is the NAPA hub tamer the same as the OTC one? The pictures of the tools on ebay look exactly the same except one label says napa and the other says OTC.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-20-2003, 05:06 AM
My car's Italian, right?

I actually just purchased a wheel bearing greaser/degreaser from Sears for 20 dollars.

It is a clear plastic jar with a press inside it that you fill with grease. You put the cap on and press down hard and it says that it will squeeze the old grease and pack it with new grease. I will get the part number later on.

Does anyone know if I should use this or return it?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yup, they're the same, OTC makes both.

Save $20 and grease the bearing by hand.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:29 PM
My car's Italian, right?

My brother bought it for me

What should be done with the shipped grease? Should it be soaked out with alcohol or just add regular bearing grease?

If any of you are willing to rent out a hub tamer i'm very interested
2012 Camry V6 SE