How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I'm a big Subie and Isuzu fan, mostly for the 4wd/AWD and reliability of these 2 makes combined with the AWD/4wd. I like Audis but too expensive for my tastes and too unreliable as well. The only audis I'd get are the A8 or S8 they are awsome cars IMHO.

-mike
Old 11-06-2002, 10:00 AM

subarus are smart

From the stand point of a guy that has worked on all sorts of cars, subarus are built very smart. I believe that they are easy to work on. Take Nissan for example. Ever change that alternator on a 300zx? Now look at the SVX.

I installed the engine in my SVX in an afternoon. What other cars in the same league as the SVX can you say that about?

I am starting to develop a loyalty......If I can get past the oil leaks. This year I have replaced 3 sets of cam seals and about 4 oil pump o rings..... All teachers cars. Oh and several valve cover leaks.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: subarus are smart

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr
From the stand point of a guy that has worked on all sorts of cars, subarus are built very smart. I believe that they are easy to work on. Take Nissan for example. Ever change that alternator on a 300zx? Now look at the SVX.

I installed the engine in my SVX in an afternoon. What other cars in the same league as the SVX can you say that about?

I am starting to develop a loyalty......If I can get past the oil leaks. This year I have replaced 3 sets of cam seals and about 4 oil pump o rings..... All teachers cars. Oh and several valve cover leaks.
I agree completely. I've done lots of work on all my Subarus and I am always impressed with the way the cars are put together.

As for the oil leaks, from my experience that's just going to happen. I saw the same thing with my Toyotas - the seals just start to seep. My wife's Legacy is the only one that actually needs to have oil added occasionally.

I look at it this way. Yeah, Subaru engines seep a little oil when they get older. But that's actually an improvement over what happens to most American engines. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-06-2002, 10:18 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

This looks like the most dis-loyal car club I've ever seen.

My first Subaru was a new AWD wagon in '80. I liked it, but had some problems with dealer-installed air, clutch went at around 60k, etc. After that, when we went new car shopping, we always stopped to see them, but until we saw the SVX, we were rather ho-hum about them.

I actually thought we'd buy another Subaru (LLB or VDC) to replace the Camry wagon, but my wife liked the V40, and she's the commuter.

My next car will definately be a . . . a . . . another foreign car.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-06-2002, 11:16 AM
$VX

Eh. I'm not really 'loyal' to any brand. I just like good cars, and every company produces good and bad cars. The things I like about subaru? awd. Good power. Unique. Parts aren't $$$ like BMWs. Things I don't like about subarus? Transmissions. :| The brand I dislike most? GM. Not only are all their cars either ass ugly (aztek, monte carlo, vibe, new cavalier, avalanche, caddy SUV, buick rendevous) or so boring they induce comas (buick park avenue, S10, malibu, impala).

- Ca$h
Old 11-06-2002, 11:26 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

The more things change . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Eh. I'm not really 'loyal' to any brand. I just like good cars, and every company produces good and bad cars. The things I like about subaru? awd. Good power. Unique. Parts aren't $$$ like BMWs. Things I don't like about subarus? Transmissions. :| The brand I dislike most? GM. Not only are all their cars either ass ugly (aztek, monte carlo, vibe, new cavalier, avalanche, caddy SUV, buick rendevous) or so boring they induce comas (buick park avenue, S10, malibu, impala).

- Ca$h
I agree. GM used to be in the extreme forefront of style, but that was way back in the '50's & '60's. With the exception of the 'new' vette, everything they've offered since '67 has been really boring.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-06-2002, 11:55 AM

Registered SVX
Re: The more things change . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

I agree. GM used to be in the extreme forefront of style, but that was way back in the '50's & '60's. With the exception of the 'new' vette, everything they've offered since '67 has been really boring.
I kinda dig the C5, but it's not timeless. I very quickly grew bored of seeing them.

A guy I work with was trying to decide between a new C5 and a used NSX. I would have bought the NSX, personally. He went the other way.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-06-2002, 12:12 PM
$VX

Ditto. NSXs are pretty sweet cars.

- Ca$h
Old 11-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: The more things change . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

Frankly, I haven't liked a 'Vette since they changed the styling in 68. I realize you have to "upgrade" and become more modern (probably why the PT Cruiser and "New" T-Bird are selling so well ), but, they just haven't done anything "really" cool with the 'Vette in many years. If anything, they've tried to make it look more European (hiney looks NSX-ish) instead of making it the unique American icon that it once was. Give me anything from 66 and earlier over a brand new one, any day. I might take a 68 in a pinch.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-06-2002, 01:23 PM

My brother in lows chevy 1500 pickup is very torquey. Certainly more pickup and alot more power than the SVX.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:49 PM
alacrity024

I've become a die-hard Subaru nut. I love their commitment to quality and affordability, plus where else can you find such a range of horizontally-opposed engines for so cheap?? I love the idea of a flat motor, and am proud of Subaru for sticking to their guns even though switching to inline and V layouts would be cheaper..

As for the NSX, I'll agree that it's a nice looking car, and relatively quick, but honestly, if I'm going to pay close to 100k for a new sportscar, I'm going to want more than an NA v6 in the engine compartment. The NSX represents the worst "bang for the buck" sportscar in the history of the universe

-Adam
Old 11-06-2002, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
lotus espirte is a good bang for the buck exotic car
porche 911 twin turbo AWD also verry good.

of course i cant aford them LOL so i stick with my svx
Old 11-06-2002, 02:03 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

as far as vettes go i would take a stingray or a '80 nothing from 82' to current they lost it after that, i like the 80 because it has the glass t-tops and my old car had solid t-tops i would rather have them glass. But think 15 grand into a '80 vette means show car look with a supercharger packed in, nice fast car that still looks like a vette.

new cars i like are: porsche (too much $)-944, Lotus (too much $)-any, audi (too much $)- S8, BMW (too much $)-M3 and M coupe, Toyota- 4runner and tacoma, Nissan- all the Zs and maxima. All i really like from suby is the SVX, WRX and the 2.5

Last edited by Alcyone SVX LSL; 11-06-2002 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:06 PM
I look like Gordon

Re: Re: subarus are smart

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I agree completely. I've done lots of work on all my Subarus and I am always impressed with the way the cars are put together.

As for the oil leaks, from my experience that's just going to happen. I saw the same thing with my Toyotas - the seals just start to seep. My wife's Legacy is the only one that actually needs to have oil added occasionally.

I look at it this way. Yeah, Subaru engines seep a little oil when they get older. But that's actually an improvement over what happens to most American engines. :P
I think the oil leaks are actually designed in. As the car ages, the engine deposits oil on the underside of the car, and voila...underbody rust protection
Old 11-06-2002, 02:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
The NSX represents the worst "bang for the buck" sportscar in the history of the universe

-Adam
I don't think thats true at all. Are they expensive? Of course. But once you own one, it's my understanding that they're very inexpensive to maintain. Some of the repairs are expensive, but Honda's commitment to reliability and build quality apply just as much to the NSX as any of their other cars.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE