How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-03-2002, 08:53 AM
"high" in Colorado

B&M coolers....

My tranny rebuild will be completed this weekend, with R & R sceduled for early next week.

Along with the new tranny, I want a cooler also. I am considering the B&M 70255 SuperCooler, 16,000 GVW. Anyone have these on their cars? How and where was it installed? Should it be plumbed stand alone, or inline with the rad. cooler? Is 16,000 GVW rating enough for our trannys? etc etc...

Since this is a new tranny, should I go with a synthetic tranny fluid? Is it worth the money?

What about Tru-Cool coolers? Anyone have one of these?

Comments and suggestions welcomed!! Thanks gang....
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 10-03-2002, 10:09 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Cooler

I have the B&M 19000 GVW cooler stuffed between my rad and condensor. I've been told that the 16000 will fit in front of the condensor (you'd get a better airflow over it). I'd suggest that you get a tranny temp gauge for it too (so you know if it is working or not). Mine is in a series with the rad so if one clogs the other doesn't. My temps on a hot hot day are around 180 for eastern pa "highway" driving and up to 210 in traffic. I've been switching to Mobil 1 Syth over the last couple of oil changes (fill and drain method) and haven't noticed much of a difference. One thing you'd want to keep in mind is depending on the winters you may want something that you can disconnect if needed. Proper ATF temps are 140-175 degrees (on highway driving in the winter I'm sure you can get down below 140).

How's your brat running? I think I may have a head gasket/ cracked head issue on mine. She's drinking about an inch of rad fluid a week . Maybe its time to get a justy and let the brat have the week off too along side the SVX. Maybe they'll breed?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
I had the B & M 16000 GVW installed between the radiator & condenser about 18 months & 27K miles ago. Had a T-Tech flush & refill (regular Dextron III) prior to the Lafayette trip. So far so good. No gauge installed - I don't want to know.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:46 PM

Like Ron I have the 16000 B&M installed between radiator and condensor. I also don't have a gauge, but it's because I couldn't decide between:

A) worrying about the tranny because I knew what the temp was, and

B) worrying about the tranny because I didn't know what the temp was.

Then C happened: the front differential case cracked and a piece around the right axle shaft flaked off and got between the ring and pinion - it was ugly - How ugly you ask? I had to use Ron's Breakfast of Champions for motivation before walking out to the garage each morning for about 6 weeks.

Seriously, I think Benebob is describing a parallel cooler config - it splits and goes to both coolers, then joins again before going back to the tranny. I run mine in series, but then I have a new radiator which doesn't have the screening that was responsible for early problems.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: B&M coolers....

Quote:
Originally posted by subymtnguy
My tranny rebuild will be completed this weekend, with R & R sceduled for early next week.

Along with the new tranny, I want a cooler also. I am considering the B&M 70255 SuperCooler, 16,000 GVW. Anyone have these on their cars? How and where was it installed? Should it be plumbed stand alone, or inline with the rad. cooler? Is 16,000 GVW rating enough for our trannys? etc etc...

Since this is a new tranny, should I go with a synthetic tranny fluid? Is it worth the money?

What about Tru-Cool coolers? Anyone have one of these?

Comments and suggestions welcomed!! Thanks gang....
If your radiator is original I suggest you by pass it when you install a new cooler...(put it in front of the a/c condensor) A temp guage is a GOOD thing. LOL
Old 10-04-2002, 12:11 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
19,000 GVM in front of my radiator(very tight fit) and another 19,00GVM mounted underneath the oil pan.
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 10-04-2002, 05:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Hmm my buddy is in the process of installing one for me, so you are saying parrallel not series? I think he did parrallel oh well I guess we'll see how it works out. He had to put mine between the condenser and the radiator there was no room in front Where have you guys been installing a trans filter? I'm thinking under the battery box?

-mike
Old 10-04-2002, 05:41 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Being where you are you are really going to want to run in a series, at least through the winter (5months.) If you have reason to believe that your radiator cooler is clogged, partially or completely, you may want to consider replacing the radiator. I would think that trying to push gelled ATF through a new tranny can't be any better than a clogged cooler. Personally I would get a couple cans of cooler flush and see how it flows while cleaning to determine condition of cooler. Best bet - ask the person rebuilding your tranny, he's the one with the guarantee.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:33 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Talking Correction

Yeah, I meant to say put it in parrallel and do not put it in a series. I just had a brain fart.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:57 PM

I installed mine in a parrallel, but after thinking about it, I will soon change it to a serial hook up.
04 VW Beetle GLS