Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

Getting closer!

Size comparison:

Populated:

Wired:

It works! With PWM control courtesy of a 555 timer for the moment (until I convert my spark outputs and put my megasquirt back together)

If anyone wants/needs one lemme know, I've got 2 extra boards that I have nothing to do with now (OshPark gives you 3 every time you order one). Turn around time was 12 days from when I ordered the boards to when I had them in my hands, so for under $10, I can't complain! Next up is to make a heatsink for the transistors, and mount it into the 'squirt.

And I still need to make 3 more spark outputs, but I'll probably just do that in the proto area. A 6-transistor board for spark outputs would be pretty badass, but I don't know if I want to wait another 2 weeks to have one made.

I will say this though: With the VR2 board, the Idle board, and a new spark output board, I've almost completely redesigned the V3.0 board itself. Over half the components on it are wasted space (and cost). Once I pull out the DB connector in favor of the factory one, I may as well have just used the megasquirt CPU and made a custom board.

But oh well, soldering on!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM

More fun: Spark outputs. All 6 of them.

Took the LED's out of the circuit, because I can. Changed all the transistors to 2222's because they're essentially the same as the 3904's, but can handle more current.

So, list is down to:

Tach Out
Install the IACV board (still need to make a heatsink first though)
Wiring harness connector

At this point, I think it probably would have been easier to DIY a mainboard, and only use the MS2 ECU itself. It's pretty ridiculous how little of the V3.0 board I'm actually utilizing. Without the Idle, VR sensors, or ignition outputs, there's very little for the board to do. Plus, looking at the actual diagrams, there are entire paths dedicated to features I'm not using (like hall effect sensors or stepper motor IACV circuits).

Ah well, slow and steady progress.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Very nice, glad to see somebody getting it going. I am working on the thesis for my master's degree, and will be for the next few months, so I just don't have time for this stuff right now, but I'll try and help as much as I can when I can.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Got a proper soldering station with temperature-controlled iron

So I went to town on my spark wires, and got my finished IACV board soldered on (mostly)

Still need to connect outputs to my stock connector. Currently there are 12 outputs that wouldn't fit onto the DB37 stock connector. Granted, I've got about 8 empty slots on that one, but I'd need a custom cable. So, that's my next soldering job: Removing the DB37
Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Bump, anyone still working on this other than me?

I had a coil go out the other day, so I'll be ordering 6 of the cheap-er replacement ones from this thread.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59550

But I'm still reading up on it, and probably won't order them until later this week. Maybe a battery relocation too.

As far as the megasquirt, I haven't touched it in a few weeks. I was crewing for LSPR, then I had to go to Chicago to help out a buddy. In a few weeks here I'm picking up BackwoodsBob's old EG33 and a few of his other unfinished projects, so we'll see what comes of that.

I promise to get back on this soon though. I even have an ECU connector sitting next to it waiting to be wired up!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
In a few weeks here I'm picking up BackwoodsBob's old EG33 and a few of his other unfinished projects, so we'll see what comes of that.
I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure that's what he would have wanted.

I wouldn't use those coils, if you're going to deviate from stock, I'd go with something beefier, like the LS coils. I forget, what were you going to do for an igniter? The LS coils are "smart coils", so you won't need a separate ignitor. But, really there are a lot of choices.

After the semester's over, I'll find my way back to this. Did you see the new tunerstudio release candidate features? Some pretty nifty stuff, though I'm not sure what all of them actually mean. WUE autotune, though, will be hugely helpful.

Warmup Auto Tune - WUE Analyze Live!
GPS Support
HP & Torque Gauges
Distance & Economy Gauge
Search for settings - I hope this is what I imagine it is - search for settings used by others with the same configuration.
Context Help
Table Smoothing
Table X & Y Re-Bin
Dashboard Enhancement
Project Archiving
Display of Calibration selection
Data Log Profiles
High Speed Logging
Automatic Logging
FTDI D2XX USB Support
WiFi TCP/IP Connectivity
VE Analyze Improvements
Auto Update improvements
String fields
Much More
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album