How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-22-2002, 06:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
cigarette lighter question

In my SVX, somehow my cigarette lighter socket only works while the car is on. Is there a way I can change this so it will be on all the time? I'm asking this question because in my minivan, it is on all the time even if the car is off. I found this very convenient to charge my extra sets of rechargeable batteries while I was using my digital camera all day yesterday. When the batteries went dead on me, I ran to my minivan and my extra sets were already charged up. It's cool That's why I use my minivan when I know I'll be out all day taking pictures with my digital camera. Is there any how-to's so I can do the same with my SVX? Please help....

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 09-22-2002, 06:30 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: cigarette lighter question

Quote:
Originally posted by vzSvx
In my SVX, somehow my cigarette lighter socket only works while the car is on. Is there a way I can change this so it will be on all the time? I'm asking this question because in my minivan, it is on all the time even if the car is off. I found this very convenient to charge my extra sets of rechargeable batteries while I was using my digital camera all day yesterday. When the batteries went dead on me, I ran to my minivan and my extra sets were already charged up. It's cool That's why I use my minivan when I know I'll be out all day taking pictures with my digital camera. Is there any how-to's so I can do the same with my SVX? Please help....
Viv,

there is no easy way to do that. If you have time, we can meet and I can dig under the dash and splice some wires together to do that though. Give me a call if you need it.

Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-22-2002, 06:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
COOL thanks, Lwin

A co-worker of mine said he can do it, but I thought it would be safe to check with the buddies in this network, hoping there's an easy way or any warning of what I should and shouldn't do...or things to watch out for while doing the wiring.

P.S. Is that your new phone number? what's the area code? I called you one time and I got the wrong number message.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 09-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Hater

i kinda like the fact that it shuts off - if you leave something plugged in and don't drive the car for a few days you won't have a dead battery. if you're using a portable music device (MD, MP3, etc), you won't have to turn it off when you shut the car off.

if you want a constant 12V supply, you could tap off the fuse panel and put an extra outlet somewhere. you can buy the outlets at Radio Shack, and other places.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)