Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Registered SVX
5sp Guys, Get in Here- Clutch Slipping Issue *UPDATE PG 2*

So I swapped in a 5sp from a 2002 WRX almost exactly a year ago today. I used an F1 stage 2 clutch i got on ebay. I've never used F1 Racing products before, but the reviews seemed pretty decent. The clutch has always had a little chatter and harsh engagement, I just figured it was because it's a "stage 2" which of course is supposed to grab harder, etc.

Well lately it had started slipping a bit if you took off really hard from a dead stop, and would smell pretty bad. Then yesterday while getting on the interstate I was in 3rd gear and floored it, and it got to about 4000RPM and then started slipping and flared to 5k. I backed off and it grabbed and went, but smelled terrible. Got close to home and went around a turn in 2nd gear and floored it, same thing slipped and the revs flared.

So, I've got about 8 to 10k miles on this new clutch in a year, and it's fried. Anything to look for mechanically as to what may have caused it, or should I just chalk it up to a cheap clutch and go with a better name brand this time around? Any suggestions on what brand? I'm half tempted to just through a friction disk in and save some money, but the right way to do it would of course be to put a whole new clutch set in.

Also, I drive it like I stole it pretty much everywhere. I'm hard on it that's for sure, but damn less than 10k on a "stage 2" clutch? Oh and engine is bone stock.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600

Last edited by reptar_head; 11-30-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 5sp Guys, Get in Here- Clutch Slipping Issue

When I did my original swap, I went with a cheap clutch and it lasted about 2 weeks. I then switched to a Spec stage 2 and it was fine for the duration of my ownership of the car.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
When I did my original swap, I went with a cheap clutch and it lasted about 2 weeks. I then switched to a Spec stage 2 and it was fine for the duration of my ownership of the car.
$500+ for a clutch set?! F that, I'll throw in $50 friction plates every year for the next 10 years for that money
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600
Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptar_head View Post
$500+ for a clutch set?! F that, I'll throw in $50 friction plates every year for the next 10 years for that money
Sounds about right.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

On "The Racer", a 2500# SVX with slicks I installed a brand new stock Legacy clutch, pressure plate, and had the flywheel
"stepped" an extra 0.006", as I remember.
It did not last the 3 miles to the autocross.i installed a stage 3 XTD cheap a$$ clutch/pressure plate and so far it has lasted....

In The Jade Project we stepped up to a Spec stage 4" REAL clutch.

Light pedal feel,
good grab,
and if it is like all of the others that people heve installed, it SHOULD last for years.

You get what what you pay for.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 11-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Sounds about right.
Mike,
nice comeback!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Registered SVX

The XTDs aren't too bad a price, Maybe I'll try one of those. You went with the 6 puck stage 3? And yeah yeah you get what you pay for, but I seriously shouldn't have to shell out $400-$500 on an aftermarket clutch just to make the all stock motor and tranny work.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600
Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Also, I drive it like I stole it pretty much everywhere. I'm hard on it that's for sure, but damn less than 10k on a "stage 2" clutch?
I think this ^ is probably most of your problem. Maybe not even that you're driving it hard, maybe it's just that your driving style involves a lot of clutch slipping. I think a lot of the people that get away with stage 2 clutches are not the type to beat on them.

Get the next stage up clutch, and/or try a different brand. If you drive it hard you gotta get a clutch that can handle it, and that costs money. But see what you can get cheap, you never know.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I think this ^ is probably most of your problem. Maybe not even that you're driving it hard, maybe it's just that your driving style involves a lot of clutch slipping. I think a lot of the people that get away with stage 2 clutches are not the type to beat on them.

Get the next stage up clutch, and/or try a different brand. If you drive it hard you gotta get a clutch that can handle it, and that costs money. But see what you can get cheap, you never know.

Next stage up is a 6 puck, which I always thought was mostly for race, and would give kind of an "on or off" feel on the street. But I've personally never tried one, so maybe it's a misconception.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600
Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Next stage up is a 6 puck, which I always thought was mostly for race, and would give kind of an "on or off" feel on the street. But I've personally never tried one, so maybe it's a misconception.
The "on or off" aspect might make it last longer. Less slipping means less wear. But, yea, starting off from a stop might be more difficult.

Just don't shatter any drivetrain bits on launches, it'll grab much quicker, and therefore the drivetrain will experience harder shockloads, which is what break things.

Can STi clutches be used with wrx gearboxes, I wonder? I have a stage 1 exedy clutch that is very streetable, but grabby enough for the EG33. Maybe something like that would be a better balance?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Registered SVX

I am running a Exedy KSB03 WRX clutch ...Been in service since 2007 and feels great. I don't drive hard but it has 10,000 miles on it from the PO
http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-KSB03-OE.../dp/B001B5EMO8

Last edited by Conn SVX; 11-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX

F1 clutches are cheap for a reason. They seem to work okay for the hondas and other imports, but they've been proven to not hold up in Subarus.
Get a better clutch if you expect it to last, or have fun separating your trans every year.

Also, to note. It's not just the clutch, it's the pressure plate that truly determines "what stage" it is. The pressure plate gives it the holding force.

Last edited by 1986nate; 11-05-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The "on or off" aspect might make it last longer. Less slipping means less wear. But, yea, starting off from a stop might be more difficult.

Just don't shatter any drivetrain bits on launches, it'll grab much quicker, and therefore the drivetrain will experience harder shockloads, which is what break things.

Can STi clutches be used with wrx gearboxes, I wonder? I have a stage 1 exedy clutch that is very streetable, but grabby enough for the EG33. Maybe something like that would be a better balance?
I believe you can use an STI clutch with an STI flywheel with a WRX transmssion. Also, you can use a WRX clutch/flywheel with an STI transmission.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX

On the XTD clutches, the stage 4 is only $10 more than the stage 3. Maybe I'll go with that and see how horrible it is on the street. If it's ****ty I can always order a lesser stage friction disk I suppose and toss that in.

Like Nate said, it feels like the pressure plate isn't clamping very hard, so having a stage 4 pressure plate should hold up. And the clutch set up is hydraulic, so hopefully it won't be too stiff of a pedal.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600
Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 PM
There's a storm coming.

We only have a few autocrosses on the XTD (six puck).
And a few miles back and forth the Autocross.
Cable clutch, very light feel, no slipping.

And yes, the clutch cover/pressure plate is MUCH more important than the actual disc.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link