Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Beav, AC question for you.

Carl,

I lost refrigerant pressure in my system (determined by a friend with gauges) after I removed the lines from the condensor and compressor when rebuilding the engine in my car. I just picked up new seals for the three connections I opened and I'll install them this weekend. After I re-assembled the system the last time the tech at the dealership evacuated and vacuum checked the system and proclaimed it leak free. No tracer dye was put in the system.

After replacing the seals, can I pressurize the system with compressed air to confirm that it will hold pressure before I have it eac'd and recharged again? My concern is that the compressed air will diffuse through the hoses where the coolant (R-12) did not. If you think this is a worthwhile check, what pressure should I apply to the system?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 09-06-2002, 05:25 PM

I'm not Beav, and I hope he answers, but first - you did replace the drier too didn't you. And if you lost any oil, you replaced that, yes?

I don't know that I'd pressurize with air. And how were you going to do that? I think it may be illegal if you later vent, but you could put in some 134 and let a gauge sit while you watched.

But why not get just get it evacuated? The tech will see if it holds a vacumn anyway before recharge.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Well, it's actually what some guys do. Some will use R-22 because it's cheaper and easier for leak detectors to pick up. I wouldn't change the drier until after doing the air test though, most compressed air is very damp and will ruin a new drier. Replace it once you've got the leaks sewn up, it's good preventitive maintenance for the a/c anyway.

I don't know how you plan on inserting the air, but if you've got a way, more power to ya. Try to get 175# in it (not running - don't start with air in it), or as much as your compressor will push. Don't worry about diffusion, even a latex kiddy balloon will hold air overnight and your a/c hoses are much thicker than that, I hope! BTW, when you release the air don't just let it rip, ease it out or the high flow will siphon your oil out and make a helluva mess.

Evacuating and checking to see if it holds a vacuum is good to do, but not as effective as having the system under pressure and everything being 'pushed apart' vs. being 'sucked together'. Checking if it holds a vacuum can help a tech find a big leak before he wastes time and refrigerant. It helps, but it isn't definitive.

If you opened the system while r&r'ing the engine you should replace whatever 'o'-rings were disturbed - that's probably going to be your only leak(s), unless you 'persuaded' a metal line or poked a screwdriver through the condensor. Tip: take whatever 'o'-rings you need to a shop that does a/c and throw them a couple bucks for new ones - the parts stores will usually try to sell you an entire kit. Try to get the green 'o'-rings, while not absolutely necessary they swing both ways and have a slightly larger thickness for a better seal.

One last item for my final chapter , when you have it evac'd and recharged, have them toss an oz. of dye in it, if you ever spring a leak in the future it makes it easier to find. Even Detroit is finally catching on and most new cars have it installed at the factory. I never send one out without adding some.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Lee,

I like your tag line, but you do know it's a thousand times easier to beg forgiveness than permission, don't ya? Take it from a twice married guy - then again, maybe that isn't such a good idea...

I'm going to try to get down there before the end of the year. I wonder if the Harley pilots still raffle off chances to detonate a rice burner at the end of the Earl's Hideway (Sebastian) dock on Dec. 7th? Usually a good night for Kamikazes..