Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2002, 09:18 AM

One temp would be just before a cold start - would need the air temp and the resistence of the probe for your gauge. Then pick any other convienent point to note temp on the gauge then measure resistance across probe.

If for some reason they use a 2252 Ohm thermistor, then all you would have to do it tap into the lines coming from the tranny to the TCU and run them to the gauge. I can tell you which lines (gotta look it up though), but the probe and gauge have to be of the same type.

thanks for the offer.

BTW, went to a BBQ place today to try and get a digital remote meat thermometer. Supposedly Taylog makes on for $20 (on the net) that measures temps all the way up to 392F (one would hope never to test that on an SVX). I thought I would try what you did and check temps on both lines, against the pan, etc. But they were sold out. Have to try somewhere else.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee

If for some reason they use a 2252 Ohm thermistor, then all you would have to do it tap into the lines coming from the tranny to the TCU and run them to the gauge. I can tell you which lines (gotta look it up though), but the probe and gauge have to be of the same type.

thanks for the offer.

Hi Lee, Don't forget that the signal from the NTC sensor is an analogue signal, going to an A to D converter in the TCU. If you load the line up too much, it will corrupt the TCU's temp info.
Make sure that it is well buffered, CMOS interface?.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:03 PM

Yeah I've worried about that some, and some things I've read warn about lead length of a thermistor probe. I certainly don't want to screw things up experimenting - for now I'm just thinking
Old 09-10-2002, 11:37 PM

Registered SVX
Lee I was going to comment but remembered we had covered the point Harvey has so rightly raised in a previous thread. Don't take fright but do take note of what we previously covered and use only a sensitive instrument if experimenting.

These were VTVM'S in times gone by eh Harvey. Or am I going back too far when recalling steam radio and such ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Lee I was going to comment but remembered we had covered the point Harvey has so rightly raised in a previous thread. Don't take fright but do take note of what we previously covered and use only a sensitive instrument if experimenting.

These were VTVM'S in times gone by eh Harvey. Or am I going back too far when recalling steam radio and such ?
"Back too far?"

I just got a new crystal, only to discover that the cats whisker has broken

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:04 PM

Harvey & Trevor...

...and others contributing....Thanks for the inputs.

First for making me feel a little more comfortable with the TC lockup conditions I've seen.

Second for help in thinking through an alternate to the tranny temp gauge sensor location (applies to this and other threads).

While not an engineer, I occasionally try to think my way through these things. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Since nothing on my TCU seems to be malfunctioning, I think I will let well enough alone for the moment.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:43 PM

Registered SVX
Thank You

Thank you too Lee.

I do not want to get all sentimental but your post warms my heart and makes it worthwhile to stay on here in spite of other fractions.

Be sure that I understand that you have been exploring a possible project rather than dreaming.

Special regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-14-2002 at 08:52 PM.