IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 PM

Re: I'm having too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Just seems like a lot of work and a lot of expense to try to
make a SVX look like something it isn't.
I do not dislike the looks of the car... I just love the SVX, and that "ain't one of them". The comment "could have been done for or by Subaru" wont fly for the Subaru company that I am familiar with.

I can park any one of my SVXs on any parking lot with all kinds of different cars parked there and the SVX stands "head and shoulders" above the rest...

Well, you can't take that statement literally, it does actually sit about a foot shorter than the other cars, but you know what I mean

Keith
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I do not dislike the looks of the car... I just love the SVX, and that "ain't one of them". The comment "could have been done for or by Subaru" wont fly for the Subaru company that I am familiar with.

I can park any one of my SVXs on any parking lot with all kinds of different cars parked there and the SVX stands "head and shoulders" above the rest...

Well, you can't take that statement literally, it does actually sit about a foot shorter than the other cars, but you know what I mean

Keith
Hey Keith,

I too love the SVX, I saw the show car in Autoweek. I'm the original owner of a '92 SVX, not many can say that. I saw that Claret SVX today, my daughter drives it. I drove my JDM RHD 4WS SVX through 8 Euro countries, the German Autobahn, Marenello, Italy, Paris, Switzerland, etc., including and especially the left-side roads of the UK. Now THAT is a real SVX, none better was ever built . No doubt that I love the SVX I am the SVX community, one of the crazy 'can't get enough' members here.

I think you nailed it. "it ain't one of them". But that's what I like about it ,
I don't think of it as one. It's a hybrid Subaru of sorts, a different animal with different 'eyes', with a big Flat-6, with funky windows. To me, it's the Maserati version, compared to the Ital Design version we have. To me, it's that good. A Camaro is not a Firebird, a Z28 not a Trans-Am, or is it?

I like the fact that someone so extremely talented put so much time in the creation of it, like a 'coach-builder' of days past. There is nothing tacky about his work, it all works, crisp, clean, straight. The fact that the car was 'good enough' for that effort, for that talent, is a great compliment to the SVX.

I know what you mean about 'parking'. I have a picture of Road Warrior, my Pearl LS-L, in front of the Phoenician, backed-in, in the valet circle, with Ferrari, Porsche, Land Rover, etc. The car was running gold BBS at the time. RW fit right in the mix. I also have a picture of Autobahn Ninja, the Pearl JDM, on the Ferrari podium, under big Ferrari letters, in Marenello, in front of the museum, which is next to the test track, across the street from the factory.

I love the SVX. I love my SVXes .
I'm surprised that I'm okay loving Farang's creation too.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 AM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Why are you so hung up on the weight of the bumpers? Ten pounds, twenty... Realistically that makes absolutely zero difference in the grand scheme of things. Everybody is well aware that any off the shelf body kit was made in a mold, which is why you won't find anything like this anywhere else. Custom = unique, on of a kind, and not on any shelves. Rob's post was meant to show the 24 page thread of "Wow, that looks neat", from the initial photoshops to the custom front facelift.
wow u have no clue man about what im trying to say. I wouldnt change something that is already cool awesome or otherwise. I guess you just dont like the true design of the svx thats all i can see out of your post. But im sure you will come up with some bs response to defend this guy lol, have a good one... and trust me I dont want to even talk about this so-called svx anymore cause to me its NOT one. Its MY opinion and if u dont like it then dont be butthurt like you already are... ps this is the interwebs grow up hahahahaha
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Here is my take on it. When the 3.3 engine from the Impreza in CT went on the market, I was more than intrigued with a 400HP engine for this car. I even had visions of buying another SVX with a blown engine as a project car with this incredibly modified engine. When I looked at the pictures, I realized that the air box was modded to take air from a hood scoop. So that would require installing a scoop on the SVX. While that is a very minor mod, I hate the idea of messing with a car body that was designed for such a great drag coefficient. I wouldn't want to mess that up even if it meant great acceleration. The car was designed by a pretty brilliant guy and the design is part art and part engineering. When you mod the car you mod both of those things. So, if I were to mod the body, I would want to make sure that it stays within the spirit of the design and doesn't impact the engineering. The biggest body mod I have considered was a swap to a JDM or 1997 grill.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Here is my take on it. When the 3.3 engine from the Impreza in CT went on the market, I was more than intrigued with a 400HP engine for this car. I even had visions of buying another SVX with a blown engine as a project car with this incredibly modified engine. When I looked at the pictures, I realized that the air box was modded to take air from a hood scoop. So that would require installing a scoop on the SVX. While that is a very minor mod, I hate the idea of messing with a car body that was designed for such a great drag coefficient. I wouldn't want to mess that up even if it meant great acceleration. The car was designed by a pretty brilliant guy and the design is part art and part engineering. When you mod the car you mod both of those things. So, if I were to mod the body, I would want to make sure that it stays within the spirit of the design and doesn't impact the engineering. The biggest body mod I have considered was a swap to a JDM or 1997 grill.
You would not need to keep that custom air box you could put a normal one on, would that impact its power, possibly though I doubt it would impact it very much. A cold air intake that goes into the fender well using smooth tubes would probably work just as well as that modified air box.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Flipper Send a message via Skype™ to Flipper

This thread has been posted before - for that I apologize, again.

Probably I was not precise about the way I think (I'm not so good in English) so I'll try to be more precise an please do accept my apologies for that reason.

I like my SVX stock and that thing is not a proper SVX for me. It's a beautiful peace of art, a demonstration of Farang's imagination and capabilities - for that - respect, really! It's one of the most impressive peace of work: all the lines, proportions, whole idea and work Farang's done... everything is awesome! Never the less - it's not a SVX for me and for that reason let me say - I don't like it and for me (It is just mine opinion) it's just ugly and still worst mod I've seen done to SVX.

Another words - it you put another batch on it - it's great piece of art.

There was just under 25 000 of SVX... every one I see crashed, burned, broken or took apart whether it's 1992 or 1997 hurts me. Perhaps I love the car as it once was designed to much to accept that everyone can do whatever he wants to do with it... but which love is reasonable...
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxAL View Post
wow u have no clue man about what im trying to say. I wouldnt change something that is already cool awesome or otherwise. I guess you just dont like the true design of the svx thats all i can see out of your post. But im sure you will come up with some bs response to defend this guy lol, have a good one... and trust me I dont want to even talk about this so-called svx anymore cause to me its NOT one. Its MY opinion and if u dont like it then dont be butthurt like you already are... ps this is the interwebs grow up hahahahaha
Your stunning grasp of the written English language may have contributed to my misunderstanding, but you also seem to have misunderstood me. Point out where exactly I said I liked Farang's work better than the factory style. Actually, I'll help you out with that. Post #4 of this thread:

Quote:
I will admit that the Outback nose isn't my favorite, but it's his car and the only opinion that really matters is his own.
I never said I liked the car, I just admire the craftsmanship and skill that went into making it happen. There are parts of it that I don't mind, and parts I really don't care for at all, but the execution is perfect.

Please also point out where exactly I attacked your opinion on the styling of the car. All I asked was why you're making such a big deal about how much the bumpers weigh, and pointing out that you seem to have also misunderstood LetItSnow's post.

The childish nature of your response seems to indicate that you're the one who's "butthurt". As you said, this is the internet. Relax. Oh, and please learn to type.

At this point I think it's almost time to say...

IBTL

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 01-18-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

Yep your right I fail at typing and you are so cool! Have a good night
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Lol this thread is full of fail.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post

There was just under 25 000 of SVX... every one I see crashed, burned, broken or took apart whether it's 1992 or 1997 hurts me. Perhaps I love the car as it once was designed to much to accept that everyone can do whatever he wants to do with it... but which love is reasonable...
Every one I see crashed, burned, broken or took apart whether it's 1992 or 1997 makes me think that the sooner we get the "un-kept" SVX's of the road, the sooner we can really establish the SVX as a classic automobile.
There are two SVX worlds out there. People are out there that have a fantastic SVX's. They are "eye catchers" and people talk about other great ones when I drive one of mine.
When I read on this site about someone having a problem with their car, and go on to tell about the other 6-12 things that do not work either... My heart goes out to them, but I keep asking myself "Why?"

Classic cars, with a few exceptions, have never been daily drivers... But... our cars are Subaru's, and Subaru is "what to drive".
The original SVX market was keyed to Subaru owners and we all thought 320,000 miles, like I had on my 1990 legacy was what you did with a Subaru. With 320,000 miles on it I could get up, walk out the door, start it up and drive across America, but... by the time Subaru figured out that that was the wrong market for the SVX, it was too late!
I personally would like to see the people that don't intend to make a "Queen" out of a dieing SVX, just let it "rest in peace" Maybe just help the wrecking yard folks push it under the crusher!

Keith
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Any purists should at least offer that he's not letting the car rot in his hands, and that it's not painted like the Ronald McDonald SVX.

How many aren't kept up? How many are parted out? How many were eaten by the Clunker program?

It's not like the car's covered with Troll dolls or painted like Joplin's Porsche. It's quality work done for a reasonably conservative custom look.

If anyone's desperate to criticize custom bodywork, GIS Corvette Summer.

'nuff said.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
If anyone's desperate to criticize custom bodywork, GIS Corvette Summer.
Holy S&%! never came across that before. I hope whoever made it is happy though.

As for Farang's SVX, even if you hate the look of it, at least you have to appreciate that the SVX is finally getting some attention as a car worth spending the time and dedication to mod with that high quality of work. Better that than giant wing spoilers that don't match the look of the car at all.

I just wish he blacked out the chrome inside the headlight lenses like I suggested. Then nobody would be complaining about the headlights...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

Quote:
I will admit that the Outback nose isn't my favorite, but it's his car and the only opinion that really matters is his own. The workmanship and fabrication for the conversion are excellent, so no matter what the final outcome I'm very impressed with his work.
This ^

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Holy S&%! never came across that before. I hope whoever made it is happy though.
Ah, you must look it up on IMDB, then...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Lol this thread is full of fail.
^And this.

At least the motor didn't go in a Vanagon while the owner parted the shell on craigslist. We've all seen SVXs meet fates far, far worse than in the capable hands of Farang.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 01-19-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Not going there