Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

power windows relay?

Does anyone know exactly where the relay is on the cars? I have no power windows, no sunroof, no nothing and its not the window lock button. I dont see any fuses for the power windows either. I know there is a relay because they sell one but cant find it. A mehanic told me it was a 9/10 of an hour worth of work just to get to it so it doesnt sound like an easy fix. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Re: power windows relay?

sounds like similar problem to what someone else was having recently, the title was something like Electrical issues , anyway I think they found it was their visors causing a short. However they were also blowing fuses. So you should check them out too. How do you know it is the relay?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This is due to the relay located under the seat. Water and moisture is constantly there causing corrosion. You should look at replacing the wires but for now, you may be able to get it to work by "playing" with it a bit.
This has nothing at all in common with the visor short issue. This will cause the power windows, power seats (if equipped) and the sunroof to not function properly.

Last edited by 1986nate; 05-23-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

I dont have power seats, I have the 94 LS model. Would this still be where the power windows relay is located. I see some wires and connecters attached underneath the seat toward the back of the seat. Is this it?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
This is due to the relay for the power seat located under the seat. Water and moisture is constantly there causing corrosion. You should look at replacing the wires but for now, you may be able to get it to work by "playing" with it a bit.
This has nothing at all in common with the visor short issue.
Ok I had to go back and reread the thread I mentioned. The visor is for strange electrical issues dealing with auto seatbelts, clock, audio system and interior lighting, climate controller, cigarette lighter.

I guess he found his window switch was disconnected whe he pulled the door panel.

Power window relay is where Nate said, under drivers seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window relay.jpg (29.7 KB, 295 views)
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Ok I had to go back and reread the thread I mentioned. The visor is for strange electrical issues dealing with auto seatbelts, clock, audio system and interior lighting, climate controller, cigarette lighter.

I guess he found his window switch was disconnected whe he pulled the door panel.

Power window relay is where Nate said, under drivers seat.
Thanks for the correction, added the proper info to my previous post. Also, my response about it not being the visor short issue wasn't meant to be an attack or anything, just a clarification. Sorry if it came off as anything otherwise.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Thanks for the correction, added the proper info to my previous post. Also, my response about it not being the visor short issue wasn't meant to be an attack or anything, just a clarification. Sorry if it came off as anything otherwise.
No problem you were right. I was being too lazy to go back and make sure though, I remembered he had a window issue that he corrected in the thread I was mentioning. I had to go back and check it to make sure since I am hoping I will retain more info (correctly) as time goes on.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

ok, under the drivers seat, I have found two sets of wires. One is a set of brown wires that go to the seatbelt. The other is a set of yellow and black wiers with a connector that doesnt plug into anything but measure 12 volts across. I do not see any other wires. Is the power window relay under the carpet? What is the yellow and black wires for? Is is possible to bypass the relay?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisjefferyl View Post
ok, under the drivers seat, I have found two sets of wires. One is a set of brown wires that go to the seatbelt. The other is a set of yellow and black wiers with a connector that doesnt plug into anything but measure 12 volts across. I do not see any other wires. Is the power window relay under the carpet? What is the yellow and black wires for? Is is possible to bypass the relay?
did you look at the graphic in my earlier post? it is under the seat, under the carpet mounted to the body cross member. should be just behind where your trunk and fuel levers are just slightly inboard.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Banned

awesome, appreciate it. I did look at the graphic from the earlier post but wasnt for certain what I was looking at, haha. So Im off to find the relay now. Any idea why I have a power source under my seat on top of the carpet? Could it be standard wiring for power seats even though I dont have them?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
awesome, appreciate it. I did look at the graphic from the earlier post but wasnt for certain what I was looking at, haha. So Im off to find the relay now. Any idea why I have a power source under my seat on top of the carpet? Could it be standard wiring for power seats even though I dont have them?
Yes... All SVXi were wired for power seats. Running wiring doesn't cost much and makes everything more simplified on the production line.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
M7

Registered SVX

If you have no functioning power windows nor sunroof, try checking the high amp Fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

I finally found the relay. Ended up having to take the seat out to be able to get to everything comfortably. I decided to bypass the relay with a jumper to see if the relay was bad and "voila"! All windows and sunroof work like new. Anyone know where to find a cheap relay for the power windows. I was actually thinking of rewiring the relay under the dash for easy access. Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I finally found the relay. Ended up having to take the seat out to be able to get to everything comfortably. I decided to bypass the relay with a jumper to see if the relay was bad and "voila"! All windows and sunroof work like new. Anyone know where to find a cheap relay for the power windows. I was actually thinking of rewiring the relay under the dash for easy access. Any suggestions?
I probably have one of them around. (if not a few)
Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Succeeded in rewiring power windows relay behind kick panel(wire $5), replaced relay with a 4 pin 12 v relay from advance(relay $8), easy access to relay and having power windows/sunroof again(priceless)!