Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 AM

Exclamation Some one please help!!!! :(

I have a few questions I need help with...

1. I am in dire need of new rear differential mounts and can not find them any were as mine need to be burned out and completely replaced. I would like poly mounts for it or something that is stronger than stock. I can no find them any were. Can some one please tell me as to were I can get these or something that can be retro fitted. Just to be sure every one know exactly which ones I'm talking about here is a picture of the ones I need.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=29085499

2. I also need the transmission mount for a 1997 Impreza L wagon 5 speed 2.2L. I have done a transmission swap into my SVX using this transmission and need one stronger than the original... If I remember right it is the single mount and not the split but I may be wrong... Again here is a picture. Not a great one but its all I have. Where can I find a stronger mount for this tranny?
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=29775441

3. Last but not least... I would like to have the rear differential rebuilt while it is out of the car again as well but need to know a few things first. Here is some info before I ask my question. For this I used the 1997 Impreza diff. housing and pinion gear so I didn't have to remove the pinion, swapping the LSD carrier into it using the bearings and every thing else from the SVX. Now my question is can I just take it in and have them rebuild the rear end as if it is the 1997 Impreza or do I have to specify to them to use Impreza parts for pinion gear portion of the rebuild and svx parts for the carrier portion of the rebuild?

I know that I have asked the two top questions before but have had no success in getting even one reply to them. I am in dire need of these things before I put my car back on the road as it will be a daily driver up to 120 miles minimum a day. Saturday I will be putting it in the shop to have my drive line measured and custom fit from the swap and I could really use the help please. I posted a bunch on the swap here a while ago and got much help so if any one can shed a little light on this I would be happy. Thank you for looking.

If any one is interested in a taking a look at my swap pics feel free. Here is a link to them.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ndID=193906596

Last edited by Brandon770; 03-29-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM

Re: Some one please help!!!! :(

For #1 I think there was a discussion about some Turn In Concepts (TiC) rear bushings but haven't heard what came of it. There was a set up that you will have to search the internet for search Kartboy, whiteline and subaru bushings etc but there was a two piece set I saw at one point that you burn out the originals and insert half a poly bushing on each side and then a metal tube insert. If yours are just worn and you want a quick cheap alternative you can go with the bushing inserts by whiteline and they will firm it up for you, I even did a how to with photos I believe in the mod section. Or you can DIY and fill your own using liquid urethane.

For #2 go to http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214857
put in the make, model and year of the car you want the part from and you should find it under engine/transaxle mounting.

For #3 I am a little confused as to what you did or didn't do with the differential. If you didn't swap anything then they can just rebuild it for whatever donor car it came from. Not sure it would need rebuilding though depending on the gear ratio. If it is rust and corrosion and such there are a few options, replace the small screws yourself using a high grade stainless, some of the older housings the bolts were garbage for some reason our SVX housings seem to hold up better. (spares on the original SVX housing...) but you could try buying and soaking your diff in this stuff called Metal Rescue it is freaking Awesome at removing rust.

These are just options others may respond with better ideas or actual firm info but atleast someone finally responded to ya.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Thank you.

For #1. I'm just going to fill them for they are completely shot. They need to be burned out and then filled which is what I am going to do. I think I'm going to go with 80A polyurethane for that. If any one has any better suggestion please let me know.

For #2. I couldn't find any thing for my application. They have the mount for the 1.8L but not the 2.2L transmission. I really would a stronger poly mount for the transmission but can't seem to find it. Its hard even finding the mount for that transmission for me for some reason as it is. Maybe I can burn it out and fill it with polyurethane as well?

For #3. What I did was swapped the LSD carrier from my svx into the housing of the impreza in order to achieve the 3:90 gear ratio to match my transmission. So the housing and ring and pinion are all Impreza. The carrier, carrier bearings and brackets on the sides in which hold the carrier and bearings came off the svx. After thinking about it a little longer I think the bearings for the carrier are the same as the impreza but I am not sure. In any case I will just have to tell the shop exactly what I did and what parts to order to match so they don't run into any problems. I was hoping I could just take it in and just tell them to build it as a 97 impreza differential but I'll probably just have to specify as to what parts need to be impreza and what parts need to be svx. Rust is not an issue. It's a Nevada car and has been well taken care of... there is not a bit of rust on this car either as we do not have those problems much here at all.

I do thank you for the help and if any more can be added than please post your knowledge.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM

I am not certain but I don't think the trans mount would change between the 1.8L and 2.2L unless they changed the whole trans. After a couple of quick searches I don't see a manual tranny with the 2.2L (not to say there werent any just hard to find) however you may want to do a physical comparison to other mounts...
http://www.autoanything.com/transmis...520+4294950562
that one is for the 1.8L should be the same mount regardless.

As for the #3 I am not sure what they will do for your rear diff I would run it until a seal leaks or bearing failure etc since it may last 5-10yrs as is. IMO
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I would have to agree with sowise on the rear differential. I have not heard of one failing when used in a swap. Even Huck's rear differential has held up fine so far and his is currently RWD so all power is going to his rear diff.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 AM
M7

Registered SVX

Here is the right stuff for rear dif. mount replacement. Thanks again to TomsSVX.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?TomsSVX|42918
Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 AM

Thumbs up Re: Some one please help!!!! :(

Well, I think there are a few metal shavings for the swap left in there and the bearings might end up going soon because of it. I don't want it to blow the ring and pinion gear and end up costing me more to fix than just having it rebuilt now while I have the money. I'll just make sure to have them order the bearings according to the setup and make sure its a good shop who knows what I'm talking about. I do thank you all for the help. The tranny mount I don't know about... still doesn't look the same. I know the car was a 2.2L for sure as i still have the motor and it is going into a suby brat that my cousin owns when ever he gets around to it. I'll probably just fill it with poly to to stiffen it up for now since it is still in decent shape. Thank you again all for the help. !!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 AM

When I was doing some of the searches for the trans mount there were alot of years grouped together and alot of makes from that time frame with the same mount. Granted many were for the A/T but the manual ones I was able to find with the 1.8L were pretty much all the same. It is odd that finding a M/T 2.2L trans mount is a bit more difficult but if you have a mount and it is old then filling it yourself is probably the way to go. Also may want to check out some of the impreza forums I am sure members there can point you in the right direction or tell you what parts will work and won't.

I would actually like to hear how the Brat engine swap goes, I am a fan of the brat too.

As for your rear diff depends on the size of the particles you know are in there but the gearing in there is like rock crushers when spun up and I would say you would be ok as long as you do early oil change on it be as conservative as you want obviously if you want to do 500 miles on the first fill then change the fluid to see where you are it that couldn't hurt and is definitely way cheaper than paying a shop to replace stuff that Might be bad or Might fail. It won't just be the parts but their labor so could be pricey. Just my opinion for whatever it is worth. If you do get it worked just let them know the carrier is from an svx etc.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the help. What I did with the differential was put some sea-foam and some 50 wieght gear lube in and have driven it for 20 30 miles to clean what I can out before I replaced the oil to the original as well as i replaced the top fill hole with a magnetic one to try and collect what ever I could. I found the bearings and seals for it for roughly 250 at kragen and autozone. I will be pulling the differential any how to fill my bushings with Poly. I am willing to pay 400$ total to have it rebuilt as the back lash on this rear end has been out of place for a little while and there is still a small gap that I do not like in the gears even though I changed the spacers to pull it closer together. I am just way to obsessive compulsive to not let it bother me every time I get in my car. Knowing how it will drive me insane driving my car every day worrying about it I am going to have it rebuilt as I don't know quite how to set the backlash nor have the tools. This car has been well taken care of since before I even got it. Oil changes on time, all maintenance done before needed etc so these few things will only itch that ever wanting nerve to have my car in perfect working order lol. After these few things this car will be and the only things I will want to do is start upgrading. Which is of course a totally different story but quite a while in the future for I have to many other projects that need attention like my 89 trans am GTA 350L TPI, 84 rx7 383ci motor, power-glide tranny, and 9" rear end build, 67 GMC long-bed step-side restoration and so on goes the list lol. Because of the cost and shape this car is in it is one of my last builds I want to work on right now. As far as the Brat goes that is my cousin's project but I will be doing the work. We are tampering with the idea of a Delorian setup for the doors on this car pending my ability to get a hold of a plasma cutter lol any how.. I'll keep you all posted if you are interested. Thanks for the help and sorry for the rambling lol.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Car is in the shop for a single piece driveline being done at Gear and Driveline Sevices in Fallon Nevada. Then back to the garage for a complete fluid change and bushings. Might be a couple weeks before I can get to that. Gotta wait for my check Lol before I can order some poly to fill those bushings and mounts. Poor thing just has too much play on the tranny mount. I really feel it in the shifter. That will be fixed in due time. Muffler bracket needs to be fabricated as my transmission cross member design eliminates the old one. Just gotta get the time to do it all. My garage is 40 minutes away and car is sixty from me. It's been a while since I've hotten drive it. Real excited to have that pleaser again soon.