SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Theft! She's GONE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblique_03 View Post
I'm still holding out hope ill get her back in one piece, but believe me, if i have to get another car, it will be an SVX.
great!

i hope you can get her back in a usable shape too, but ?

if your area is not safe, get full coverage for your car next time.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 AM

10 characters.

Last edited by essveeexxee; 10-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by essveeexxee View Post
Another thought would be they think the SVX basically has a Porsche engine because people keep saying that despite the eg33 not having variable valve timing
Fix0r3d...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Registered SVX

i saw some pearl fenders and doors on ebay this AM.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Wow, another one? This is why I'm glad I can pop out my NSS and make the car unstartable.

what is this? i want to do this to my next car for sure....

yup, my car was stolen last week.... mine was a pearlie too

Quote:
I'm still holding out hope ill get her back in one piece, but believe me, if i have to get another car, it will be an SVX.
my sentiments exactly

Quote:
i saw some pearl fenders and doors on ebay this AM.
i checked em out... they are from NJ... far from us Left-Coasters

what i dont get... why are these thieves taking SVXi, and not cars that have a parts market? i think that in my case at least, it might have been incompetent "lackeys" doing the stealing, and once it comes down to it, only the tires and wheels are of any value to the average market, they ditched the car. that is what i am hoping will happen to my car. it is all i can hope for at this point.
but in the Sacramento area there is a huge Russian mob, and they are notorious for stealing cars. my ex-girlfriend back in the day got her civic stolen from in front of her house... but thats a civic, and they found it within a few days, completely stripped and ditched in a, well, ditch.

another incident: i was heading to the river near Auburn to go swimming, and on this lonely, twisting dirt canyon road with cliff hairpins, there were five (yes 5) ten year olds standing on the edge of a cliff, looking down, all with bruises and cuts. i stop, look down the cliff, and there was a honda accord about 500 feet down and stopped up in the brush. ... WTF
i was about to call the police, and the kids flipped out speaking Russian and ran away!
it was too much for me, so i went down to the river, and found the ranger, and told him what was going on. he didnt believe me! whatever... so i swim and have fun, ... on the way out here is "Vlade's Tow Service" from Sacramento trying to winch the car up, the towtruck blocking the road and almost slipping down the cliff.... wow. so finally they stop their futile attempts and move so cars can pass.... and finally the ranger shows up....
i didnt stick around.

my point: the russians employ their kids to do the stealing around Sacramento, and the "rackets" are run by the adults. this way, if the kids get in trouble, they get a slap on the wrist and the operation is not jeaopordized......
so my theory.... the kids steal the car, the parents tell them that they are dumb for stealing such a rare car, and in my case, they can only try to sell the tires....... wow.....

long winded post but this rash of thefts is ridiculous!

all i know: lojack, comp coverage, and the NSS mod that Nikfu talks about, plus electric tazers that shock the sh!t out of you if you touch the door handle are all going to be standard equipment on my next car.

I HOPE U GET UR BABY BACK! I FEEL FOR YA!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Wow, another one? This is why I'm glad I can pop out my NSS and make the car unstartable.
Yes i like to know what that is too.

I am thinking they are steeling them for the motors. since alot of guys with wrxs are looking for them to put in there cars. seen a few advertising for them
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

And I always thought my odometer at 260k would be a theft deterrent.

Sorry to hear you lost yours. Hopefully they will find it in good condition.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Pack a cell phone, and go for a drive.
Cruise all of the roads that you can.
Keep a full tank, don't forget the bat for practice on the passenger seat floor, and just go riding.
You might just see her...

Use the phone first!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Ha! hardly happy, but what can one do...

not to big. second largest in washington though. Spokane
****, I'm in missoula, time to put in the remote kill.....for something other than the starter
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
what is this? i want to do this to my next car for sure....
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
Yes i like to know what that is too.
Eh, to put this as simply as possible, when you do a 5MT swap without wiring up a CPS you need to leave the NSS from the automatic trans attached and stash it somewhere. Mine is stowed behind my battery. Moving it's little lever out of the neutral position or disconnecting it altogether will not allow the car to start.
Today I just got in some fancy switches that will allow me to remove the NSS completely, so instead of using it, I can hit a secret toggle that will have the same effect, as well as allow me to toggle my reverse lights, and disable my DVD security lock at any time.

(TMI, TBH.)

For you automatic driver's you might consider a simple quick-connect for your negative battery terminal/ECU/something that you can pop on and off easily, or buy an expensive security system that notifies you when the car is being tampered with, which I also intend to do.

There are plenty of creative ways to keep a person from taking your car. The easiest/cheapest ways are to disconnect something vital yet not obvious.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-21-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to newkid17 Send a message via Yahoo to newkid17

im sorry to hear about you poor svx, i hope you get her back soon and in one peice.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
but in the Sacramento area there is a huge Russian mob, and they are notorious for stealing cars.
Funny that you should mention that. Here in Spokane we have a very large community of Russian/Ukrainian immigrants that have a bad reputation for setting up chop shops. Every now and then there is an article in the paper about another Russian chop shop bust.

I would be lying if i told you i hadn't considered this fate for my car. In fact I think it is most likely what happened to her.

Naturally, having such a large community of Russians/Ukranians here, I have many friends/acquaintances within that community. And to be honest, I have heard some disturbing stories, but never first hand accounts, just 3rd or 4th person. nonetheless, I have asked some of my friends within that community to keep an eye out.

I know, as a matter of fact, there is a link/network between the communities here in Spokane and communities in Oregon, Portland in particular. So I have been keeping an eye on all the craigslists in Oregon, Washington and Montana. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some network that stretched the entire west cost.

Changing ideas a bit here.... How hard is it to hot wire a car? is this something your normal drug addict could do?

and how about getting a key. can you, for instance go to a locksmith with a VIN number and ask for a key to be made?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:

Changing ideas a bit here.... How hard is it to hot wire a car? is this something your normal drug addict could do?

and how about getting a key. can you, for instance go to a locksmith with a VIN number and ask for a key to be made?
Hotwiring a car, especially an older Subaru, is fairly simple if you know what you're looking for.

A key to any subaru can be obtained from the Subaru dealership with just the vin number. The dealership is supposed to verify ownership before cutting the key, but many don't.

Back in 2002, a truck hauling a trailer with two GM concept cars was stolen from a hotel parking lot. The thieves went to the hotel, got the vin number from the truck, went to a local dealership, and the dealer cut a key to the truck for them without question. They never located the stolen concept cars.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Pack a cell phone, and go for a drive.
Cruise all of the roads that you can.
Keep a full tank, don't forget the bat for practice on the passenger seat floor, and just go riding.
You might just see her...

Use the phone first!
I think he will get nowhere with this. I bet she is now in a closed garage getting dissected to the bones

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM

how about a switch that cuts off the starter..... that one little wire that has a connector piece to the starter would do perfectly.

as far as keys, our old ignitions (at least the one on my car) are weak and flimsy, and i imagine a determined brute with a screwdriver wouldnt have too much trouble forcing the thing. it is true about the dealership thing tho, that is how i got my last key. someone would have to be casing you for this...