Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
SVX Slimfast?? Can we street legally make it lighter???

Ok so I know that some people have put in wrx seats and changed up the hood to a carbon fiber or fiberglass but what other options are out there to make this baby lighter with still keeping it a street legal normal looking vehicle???
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: SVX Slimfast?? Can we street legally make it lighter???

Honestly, there's not a whole lot that won't involve massive amounts of work. The most weighty part of the car is all the metal, even if you gutted it down to the bare minimum you'd have a tough time getting below 3000 lbs. There's just too much steel to get through.

That being said, I start doing composites in school next year, and we have a fully equipped lab, autoclave and all, so I may feel like molding an intake manifold in carbon fiber, probably worth 20 lbs off and some badass looks. Combined with a fiberglass hood and A/C delete, that should be 60+ lbs off the front of the car.

Hocrest/Benebob, what does the racer weigh?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

The weight concentration as Pilot said, is in the metal.

Most notably in both the front and rear bumpers, hood, seats (driver... oh GOD) and doors.

Futhermore the metal thickness of the SVX is done as if it was a Mercedes or BMW. The chassis are even thicker than the Germans. This is why everybody walks away untouched from SVX crashes

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 AM

Registered SVX

heres some cross sections of SVX showing thickness

1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Hocrest/Benebob, what does the racer weigh?
Now that we lost more weight with the 5-spd, and gained some back with the cage. We should be right around 2800.

I would suspect that OT has the lightest that is street legal and comfortable.

The AC system weighs a lot, you don't need that... 5 speed will cut about 100 lbs off of the weight with an auto...
Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
...molding an intake manifold in carbon fiber...
This could potentially cost you more than you gain. I don't think I'd go much beyond a mild port/polish and removing casting flash for mass reduction there.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Take out ALL radio/CD related equipment and save several pounds.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

This is all I can think of:

1. Seats to base SVX cloth seats or WRX/2.5RS seats.
2. Carbon/Fiberglass hood.
3. Manual Swap.
4. A/C system (pipes, condensor, and all)
5. Heater core, radio, climate control, and everything else that isn't needed to make the car run behind the dash.
6. Power seat belts to manual belt conversion.
7. Speakers, trunk lining, spare tire, jack and tool kit removal.
8. Aftermarket exhaust (stock is heavy as balls)

I can't think of anything else that's a simple job (or simple solution rather...see manual swap ) that would keep it easily streetable. Some things would already make me not want to drive the car. I had a stripped Impreza, stripped 240sx, and essentially stripped 240Z. I can't imagine the SVX getting the same treatment. The next step after that I'd guess would be grinding useless metal, removing carpet/insulation/sound deadening and replacing with thin carpet, and that's it. Getting rid of some unspring weight would be nice, but big bucks.

Part of the reason why I like this car so much is that there aren't many parts for it. You end up having to have to make your own solutions to things.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
This is all I can think of:

1. Seats to base SVX cloth seats or WRX/2.5RS seats.√ (actually went to Corbeau seats)
2. Carbon/Fiberglass hood.√
3. Manual Swap.√
4. A/C system (pipes, condensor, and all)
5. Heater core, radio, climate control, and everything else that isn't needed to make the car run behind the dash.
6. Power seat belts to manual belt conversion.
7. Speakers, trunk lining, spare tire, jack and tool kit removal.
8. Aftermarket exhaust (stock is heavy as balls)√

9. Aftermarket rims √

Part of the reason why I like this car so much is that there aren't many parts for it. You end up having to have to make your own solutions to things.
I've done all the checked items on Bill Stock/Battlescar. I'm guessing the car is now around 3400lbs. Any lighter and I think you are noticeably impacting the "comfort" aspects of the car. This said, yeah, you definitely could go to Carbon fiber doors and cut serious weight if you could figure out a way to still accommodate the fixed windows without having to add a lot of fiber.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
This could potentially cost you more than you gain. I don't think I'd go much beyond a mild port/polish and removing casting flash for mass reduction there.
I mostly want to do it for kick-ass looks and cool factor, and because I have a lab here and it's something that tickles my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
I've done all the checked items on Bill Stock/Battlescar. I'm guessing the car is now around 3400lbs. Any lighter and I think you are noticeably impacting the "comfort" aspects of the car. This said, yeah, you definitely could go to Carbon fiber doors and cut serious weight if you could figure out a way to still accommodate the fixed windows without having to add a lot of fiber.
-Bill
If you could get Seibon or another company to lay up some composite doors, that would be a massive weight savings. Having just changed mine I can attest to how heavy they are. I think the biggest problem there might be that the majority of CF "doors" are actually just re-skinned with carbon, not constructed fully from it.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Chris,
Agreed. I was just reading an article on and EVO that AMS is building for time attack and they put Carbon fiber doors on it. The issue here is that most cars don't have the large "fixed" glass that we have with the SVX. You'd have to add a certain amount of structure to the carbon door just so the fixed glass wouldn't pop out when you shut the door.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

If you laid up a honeycomb filler into the window frame I think that would provide plenty of rigidity for the windows. Maybe that's something else I can look into.....once my lottery winning come in...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

lol back to reality...

I have a 5spd WRX tranny, custom exhaust, not sure if I wanna sacrifice my seats, but I'm deff gonna change up that hood sometime soon. As far as removing some of the sound dampening or anything... is there some on the underside that can be easily removed without causing substantial noise increase??? Where is the tutorial for how to remove the A/C, or is there one? Mine hasn't worked in a while so I might as well get rid of it until I decide to actually fix it. How much is it/ how difficult is it to switch to manual seat belts?? (is it worth it) I am going to be getting aftermarket wheels in Dec or Jan. Anything else??

Last edited by Johnybeas; 11-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 AM

I wouldn't do carbon doors without a full cage just incase someone tries to drive into the side of your car while your in it.

The easy way to deal with the windows would be to actualy just take the glass and window frames from a stock door (rusty or beat up plse) and attach it to the carbon section. Also possible might be making hinges for the glass section such that its hinged at the top and separate from the bottom section. Just fix the lower glass in that case to the upper frame
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Step one: Win lottery.

Step two: Everything carbon fiber..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..