How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Chris..NEED HELP !!!!

Hi Chris,

I just got some devistating news from the car fax section, it's showing a milage discrepancy in my SVX's odometer... my question is, I thought that automotive odometers were made tamper proof so that people could not roll them back, can you roll back the odometer on an SVX with out damaging it? or could someone have replaced the instument cluster? I just don't know what to do. I bought the car from a dealer but the car was to go to auction and I just bought it because it was VERY clean and ran like a champ. any help is GREATLY appriciated.

Thanks for your time,

Marc
Old 03-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Graphic Artist

Hi Marc.

Chris isn't here anymore, this forum is a bit of a joke, most technical requests are now handled by the technical Q&A section until the Admins can figure out what to do with this forum.

The odometer was likely not rolled back, this is technically very difficult to do now. As you have already guessed, it was likely the gage cluster being swapped.

How much of a discrepancy do you think there is, what was the mileage reported to carfax, before the discrepancy, and who's ownership was it under when a discrepancy occurred. You likely will have a legal remedy, as it a federal offense to alter the odometer of the car without placing the information in several places on the car about the nature of the alteration, and at what milage.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting back to me on this, the carfax is kind of vague on ownership at the time of the discrepancy, and I'm not sure how to truly tell if the cluster has been replaced. other carfaxes seem to be better put together mine is on this page under SVX in Newtown if you want to look, but it makes me and my car look very bad I'm not exactly sure what to do now. I've owned the car for a couple of years now and don't know if I have any recourse. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Marc
Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Phil & Belha

Your car is at least 11 years old, maybe closer to 16. At this age, the condition and maintenance are far more important to the value than the number on the clock. I would go as far as to say that the true mileage is almost irrelevant. If the car is clean and runs like a champ then just forget about the odometer discrepancy and enjoy the drive.

To look at it another way: Which is worth more, a 92 SVX with 100K miles or a 94 SVX with 150K miles?
Answer: The one with the working transmission.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 03-23-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:06 PM

b3lha,

Hey, thanks I've been bumming out about this...but I guess the way you put I agree this car runs great and looks good.

Marc
Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Don't sweat the small stuff :)

I don't know about your state, but here in TN, once a car reaches 200k the mileage is stated as in excess of mechanical limits, and not listed on the title.

If you're not considering selling your car, a mileage discrepancy isn't a problem. That said, if/when you sell, you are legally obligated to tell the buyer that.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
since i have differential problems with my speedo gears my odometer hasnt worked since i bought it. the guy i bought it from never actually told me the odometer didnt work, i discovered it didnt work AFTER i bought it, i did know the speedo didnt work, but i never payed attention to the odometer until i went to do gas mileage. so i have 2 questions:

1. is the guy i bought it from responsible for anything? does he have any legal obligation to me? remember, he never told me the odometer didnt work, all he said was he had/has a car that the speedo doesnt work in and it could be the svx (he hadnt driven the svx in about a year, or so he says). he also told me the car had 140xxx miles on it, now i wonder how many it actually has.

2. if i ever decide to sell the car (if i do, the speedo will probably be fixed by then so the odometer will work) do i just have to tell the buyer that the odometer didnt work for x amount of time that i had it, or is there something you have to specifically do? thanks for any help, just thought id ask since this post is on topic!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
In reality the buyer has no obligation to buy the car to begin with. I would inform the buyer if you sell hte vehicle that the odometer doesn't work, but you've owned it for x amount of time, and driven approximately x miles. Milage these days isn't the biggest thing though. My legacy rolled 200k and then needed new gaskets. My SVX rolled 130k and needed a transmission.

Keep in mind, not everyone's a car person. The previous owner very well may not have realized the odometer didn't work. They likely said the speedo didn't work, and wrote it off, as not everyone keeps track of miles. Generally though, if the speedo doesn't work, neither does the odometer.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
thanks for the answers! thatll help me if i ever sell it, maybe when the world ends.... or i find a 5 speed i want.

i do know the guy i bought it from was a car person. he had his own bay at a porsche shop (which is where the svx was, it was sweet to see the suped up cars and racers) the svx was just a hobby. he has another one, and also a parts car too. he had an offer on the other svx too, he may have sold it, but im not sure.

anyway, if in fact he hadnt driven the particular svx i bought from him in awhile i could understand him not noticing the odometer. the first time i test drove it the belt that connects with the alternator, p/s and whatever else wasnt on so i had to take a quick test drive, he replaced it before i bought it, anyway my point is he probably didnt drive it with no belt. the other svx he had was his driver.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 PM

We had a vintage Volvo once , it had around 100,000 miles on it, and around 200,000 miles the odomoter started running backwards!