How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Epprom tuning option???

Maybe I'm just blind and haven't come across what I'm looking for while searching these forums but what options exist for tuning the stock PCM for boost right now?

I'm not talking pre programmed units based on other peoples setups(Ie ECUTune stuff) but rather tuning options to allow an end user to adjust settings according to their needs. Windows or Linux based stuff, doesn't matter to me. Someone I talked to mentioned some Linux based stuff but I forgot who and what the details were on that

I'm opting to just run this thing off an OBR E6-C but want to explore any options out there with the stock PCM first before ditching a fairly decent OEM setup.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Phil & Belha

There is a project underway to figure out how the stock ECU works. Details can be found in the "Memory Dump of ECU" thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38685 or on on my website www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm.

Realistically, it will be several months before end user tuning options will be available.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 12-15-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
There is a project underway to figure out how the stock ECU works. Details can be found in the "Memory Dump of ECU" thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38685 or on on my website www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm.

Realistically, it will be several months before end user tuning options will be available.
Several months gives me time to read and catch up and work out some bugs myself. I'll be reading
Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
custom tuning can't happen soon enough! It would be great to have what the WRX/STi crowd has had for years! Being a little selfish, it would be nice if OT and YT's shops offered it first
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Yea, my plan is to get the drivetain in the tube chassis and running off the stock computer so I can shake it down and do some suspension tweaks where necessary. The turbo system will go on afterwards at which point I'd need some computer tuning function. Otherwise it's off to OBR for an E6-C and work up my own speed density maps.

I can build some serious stuff when it comes to chassis and engine, I can build electronics stuff including computer components, and I can tune like a mofo when necessary. However all this hardcore computer code jargon acronym based talk puts me miles out past left field. I have a grasp on some of it but most is just water under the bridge to me unfortunately and that's when I turn to folks like you guys who know WTF you're doing!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM

what made you interested in the SVX engine?
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
what made you interested in the SVX engine?
It was $600 compared to $18,000 + cost of ECU and harness for the 996 biturbo engine. It's just a motor that closely resembles the proper Porsche powerplant and allows me to spend money elsewhere on getting the prototype up and running.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Sounds good to me, I totally agree, when we get these engines sorted out they will be hard to beat. Getting into the ECU is a big part of the future and unleashing the power.
Thanks
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Sounds good to me, I totally agree, when we get these engines sorted out they will be hard to beat. Getting into the ECU is a big part of the future and unleashing the power.
Thanks
Tony

I'm just one who hates to toss out something that's good and works for no other reason than someone can't work with it. I have no problem setting up a different EMS to run the motor, but if the stock one has the capabilities to get the job done, abiet with a bit of work, then that's good enough for me to at least wait it out a bit.

The stock hp output is more than enough to toss around a 2000lb kitcar pretty good for now and let me shake down the chassis for problems and fine tuning, let alone 450 wheel
Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM

I would be interested in something like this. I have a DSMLink in my GVR4 and it's awsome!!! Now that I have the 911/EG33 running on the stock Subaru engine management, I will be looking for something that I can control/tune forced induction with. If it can be built for under $600 (that's what I paid for the DSMLink) then I would rather do that then a stand-alone system.... especially since I've already done the work to use the stock engine management
Old 12-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Just curious, but what have you got against the ECUtune stuff?? Is there something I need to know here?

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Just curious, but what have you got against the ECUtune stuff?? Is there something I need to know here?
I don't believe this has anything to do with anyone having something "against" ECUtune's chips. LAN has done an admirable job providing the community with "plug'n'play" chips where there was once absolutely nothing. What we're talking about here is the "fringe element" of the community that wants/needs to go beyond what LAN's chips provide. Really nothing out of the ordinary. Check out the WRX/STi crowd - they've got the ACCESSPort and other systems that provide set tuning sets, but you still see folks going with Hydras, etc. It's all good!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 PM

I agree ECTune are doing a great job and I will use their chip on the SC but when I am driving in the dessert I need a specilist chip and its to much work for Mike to do a one off. Boxersix why don't you post a photo of the car you are putting it into.
Tony
Old 12-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Boxersix why don't you post a photo of the car you are putting it into.
Tony

Can't do that yet because it's a proprietary design of mine that is not available on the market yet and I want to keep it that way to avoid someone beating me to it essentially. I'm planning on producing these for customers eventually, 1-2 per year maybe .
Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
I don't believe this has anything to do with anyone having something "against" ECUtune's chips. LAN has done an admirable job providing the community with "plug'n'play" chips where there was once absolutely nothing. What we're talking about here is the "fringe element" of the community that wants/needs to go beyond what LAN's chips provide. Really nothing out of the ordinary. Check out the WRX/STi crowd - they've got the ACCESSPort and other systems that provide set tuning sets, but you still see folks going with Hydras, etc. It's all good!
-Bill
Ok, that's what I thought but...never hurts to ask.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!