How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Both belts slipped

So my alternator belt and my A/C belt slipped and were pretty much shredded. I can get a new alternator belt today from autozone, but the soonest that I can get an A/C belt is Friday, since they don't have them at autozone, and all of the dealerships around here have to order them in. So will everything run allright if I leave the A/c belt off for the rest of today and tomorrow? I would assume so, since its cold as hell out, and I surely will not be using the A/c, only the heat.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Spoiled Brat of Subaru

Send a message via AIM to WRX_SVXGirl Send a message via MSN to WRX_SVXGirl Send a message via Yahoo to WRX_SVXGirl Send a message via Skype™ to WRX_SVXGirl
i just had the same issue and havent had an ac belt for over a month, you dont need the AC belt to run the heat. i think i was told you need it for the defroster, but i have used mine with out it. the serpantine belt you do need. just make sure you check it because the the one they put on my car the first time it blew was dry rotted.

1993 Subaru SVX Anniversary Edition Red #23

we dont do anything slow
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Yeah, it's fine to run without the AC belt. Your defrost will work, but it won't dry the air like it does if the AC is working correctly.

If both belts blew at the same time, I'd recommend checking the crank pulley. It is made of three concentric layers. Metal, rubber and metal, check to see if it looks connected. Even if it looks good, take some whit out or a paint pen and make a line across all three layers. Check occasionally to see if the line is still in one piece.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM

I got both belts from autozone, and realized after putting the alternator belt on that Hocrest is right, the crank pulley is loose. But whenever I try to tighten it via the large bolt in the middle, the whole thing turns, rather then tightening the bolt. I recall reading about this somewhere one this forum, but could someone please enlighten me as to how to tighten the crank pulley?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985 View Post
I got both belts from autozone, and realized after putting the alternator belt on that Hocrest is right, the crank pulley is loose. But whenever I try to tighten it via the large bolt in the middle, the whole thing turns, rather then tightening the bolt. I recall reading about this somewhere one this forum, but could someone please enlighten me as to how to tighten the crank pulley?
I don't think Dave meant the pulley was loose, I think he meant to check if it had become separated, in which case you'd need a new pulley.

However if it is just loose you can either hold the pulley stationary with a belt wrench or stick a large flathead screwdriver in the flexplate to keep it from spinning.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Well all I know is that when I watch it spin, it is not spinning as it should, it is definitely wobbling. I don't know if the thing is coming apart or if its just loose. It squeals something terrible though, and sounds awful. Ive noticed that it squeals the worst when I am stopped with the brakes applied. Once I accelerate to around 10 miles an hour, it goes away completely, but then again, as soon as I stop at a light, with the brakes applied, it is awful.

After some searching, I don't have access to the tools that I will need to change it myself, so I think I will just order one, and then take it into a shop so that they can replace it. In the meantime, I have a final exam tomorrow morning at 7:00, and then an appointment at 3:00. What am I risking by driving it as it is at the moment? I hope to get it fixed by Saturday morning, but I have some things that I absolutely have to drive to in the mean time.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo View Post
However if it is just loose you can either hold the pulley stationary with a belt wrench or stick a large flathead screwdriver in the flexplate to keep it from spinning.
Well I do not have access to a belt wrench, so where is the flexplate, so that I can shove a screwdriver in it to keep it from moving?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
What am I risking by driving it as it is at the moment? I hope to get it fixed by Saturday morning, but I have some things that I absolutely have to drive to in the mean time.
If it's "wobbling" it's probably eating into the timing belt cover. Of course, if it lets go completely you lose all belt-driven accessories, then walk.

dcb
Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
You need a new crank pulley...any Impreza / Legacy pulley will work, or buy a lightweight aluminum one...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Well I do not have access to a belt wrench, so where is the flexplate, so that I can shove a screwdriver in it to keep it from moving?
Flexplate is under the center of the car near the transmission. Just crawl under with a flashlight and look for a gear that you can see through the slot in the case.

If you have someone spin the pulley while you're under there you can see which way it spins so you know which side to put the screwdriver in.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM

I appreciate the responses ladies and gentleman. I ordered a new crank pulley and had it sent overnight, so it should be here tomorrow. In addition, I am taking my SVX down to aamco to get the pulley tightened up in the meantime, and then once the new pulley gets here, they can put it on for me. So it should be all good in a day or two.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Understand that "tightening up" a failing crank pulley isn't going to help anything. It's not loose, it's falling apart.

dcb
Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
He was never really clear about the pulley??

Was it coming apart? or was it just the the bolt was loose??

If it was just loose, you wasted money on a new pulley.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM

I am not totally sure if it is falling apart or not, but I think it is. I am taking it right now to get it tightened up, and to see if that helps. If it doesn't help, then a new pulley is on its way, and should be here tomorrow. Then I will have it replaced, whether it is falling apart or not, seeing as how it could probably use a new one anyways.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:09 PM

So Aamco says that the pulley/harmonic balancer are bad. The part that I ordered is a crank pulley, and the guy says that it should all be one piece, and that I ordered the right thing. Does anyone know, are the pulley and the harmonic balancer 2 separate things, or is it all one piece? From my searching, I haven't found a clear answer.