Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Paint - Custom or Stock

Ok well lets put it this way - my '92 pearl needs new paint - I love the two tone (black/white) look so the top is staying black and the bottom white.

I am however having trouble deciding on one of two things.

Option 1 - Use factory Pearl paint codes to repaint the white.

Option 2 - Use a slightly brighter Pearl Paint and add slight gold flakes that light up only under sunlight. This way when car is not in the sun the white is vibrant and stands out without the gold flakes and when in the sun it it shines and stands out.

As of right now, I am leaning for option 2 - because when I saw the paint I was immediatly attached to its uniqueness and visible vibrant qualities. Also the paint company I am purchasing it from says they have never mixed this colour for a customer yet, therefore I would be the only one in my city with this colour.

I also do not want to change my car too much from OEM and I love the pearl paint, but mine is faded and the clearcoat is peeling badly, so I am not seeing the true original colour as i should be.

I know this is very opinionated but they are appreciated. If this was any other car than an SVX i would not hesitate to paint it the pearl/gold flake. I only hesitate because I know the re-sale is usually better if all original.

I guess what i really want to know is - would you buy an SVX with a slightly different paint than original? Assuming it looks really good with the new paint?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
If it's the look you like, go for it!

I personally never worry about resale when I do anything to my SVX because A) I hope to NEVER sell it and B) No matter what, currently and for the foreseeable future, there isn't really a collector's market for the SVX in a way that a nice stock one will be worth a ton more money than a nice modified one. Maybe someday, or maybe not. ENJOY the car now for what it is and do what you want to do with it, don't treat it as an investment or your kid's college fund because it probably won't turn out that way.

That said, judging by past sales and interest, I'd say if the paint job is well done and high quality and looks as good as you say it does, you would have no trouble selling it for just as much as a stock color repaint, maybe even more. In the past custom-colored SVXes in dramatically different colors like yellow have sold faster and for more $$ specifically because they WERE a custom color.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
If it's done right, yes. go for it. Make sure whatever shop is doing the work is well qualified in a colorchange. Look at some of their other work. is there overspray anywhere? Are there any hard edges left from a bad tape up? Can you see where there's been bodywork done?

Other than that...um, cadillac makes a nice 3 stage pearl that's white with gold pearl...They called it inca gold, and it was mostly on the 01-04 caddys. I cant remember the paint code off hand...but it would make any future repair work easier to match the paint on
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten