Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 PM
ThetaReactor

Recommend me: Ultralight auto edition.

So I'm driving a Buick.

I'll admit that I have a soft spot for big GMs. My first car was an 82 Impala, and they do ride quite well. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy. This 84 Regal is the same way.

It's just not fun.

So I'm looking at cars. I'm thinking of spending maybe $6k, either to buy an older used car outright or as a down payment on something slightly newer.

I'd like to get something rather light. I've never owned a vehicle weighing less than 3000lbs., but I like the, um, tossability found in lightweight cars. The increased sense of speed and the tactile handling.

The contenders:

VW Scirocco, first-gen: Vaguely practical hatchback configuration. Shares parts with the Golf and Jetta. Classic "folded paper" Guigiuaro design. Round headlights are just damn sexy.

Toyota MR2, first-gen: MR configuration. Lotus-inspired suspension and design. Supercharger option.

Toyota MR2 Spyder: Newer, thus likely in better shape. First-gen weight, second-gen power. Convertible. Still no cargo space.

Those are the ones I'm seriously considering. Other little things like an old Datsun 510 have crossed my mind.

So, aside from telling me to buy another SVX [give me time, my heart's still broken...], who knows something of featherweight cars? I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:03 AM

Try the older Mazdas, e.g. the MX-6 (GE, series 2) - not a real featherweight but reliable and with lots of space in the boot.

The first series (GD) is even lighter but doesn't have enough power. And almost extinct here.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
ever consider a 944?
a legacy turbo is about 3000 lbs
maybe the FC generation of RX7's? i don't know how much those weigh, but im willing to bet they're not that much heavier than an FD
last thing i can think of would be an integra/prelude...those are kind of light i think
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 AM
My kitten can woop your kitten

Send a message via AIM to Dengue Send a message via Yahoo to Dengue
I had an 81 Scirocco S and outside of the fact that they look cool, there is a seemingly unlimited number of things you can do to it. As I understand it the best motor swap for the mk I was the Rabbit 1.8T. (I was to lazy/cheap to do it myself)

there used to be some really nice body kits for it too, but they are a little hard to come by now...

Skip
Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 PM
ThetaReactor

I'd love to have a Porsche, they just seem to have this "unattainable" air about them. I can just picture the dollar signs popping up in the insurance agent's eyes...
Old 12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Why not keep it in the Alcyone family and get an XT6. They are great cars to drive and $6k could buy you one in great condition with some left over.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
one i forgot...miata
Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Why not keep it in the Alcyone family and get an XT6. They are great cars to drive and $6k could buy you one in great condition with some left over.
Then boost it!
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
ThetaReactor

Well, I don't want to sound like a heretic here, but I simply don't like the XTs. Don't particularly like the looks, and the performance isn't impressive enough to make up for it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaReactor

VW Scirocco, first-gen: Vaguely practical hatchback configuration. Shares parts with the Golf and Jetta. Classic "folded paper" Guigiuaro design. Round headlights are just damn sexy.
The Rocco is a great pick. It's my second car that I'm in work on a motor swap. So many parts in that car can be swaped and upgraded with parts from car as new as a MK3 VW and the lack of power steering adds nicely to the driving fun. An XT6 is also an awesome car, just make sure you get a manual.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 PM

There is nothing, NOTHING like the last round of RX-7s. I had a 94, and it was the most fun car I've owned. Well, the most fun except the SVX :-)