How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 07:58 PM

The beast is out!

Well Todd came out for some parts and I was stuck with a motor mount thread that got stripped out. He wanted the radiator core support so that required the whole front to be removed He cut with the sawzall and angle grinder and we got it loose. Then the front was gone and it made it a hell of a lot easier for me to get to the one last bolt holding things in. Busted it loose and pulled it out the hallowed out front end. I did get a bend in the pan though from something (not sure if it were pulling or rubbing something) so tranny fluid is leaking now but that gives garage floors character . So thanks to Todd for his help and motivation on how to eliminate a tow truck trip to the junkyard, hahaha.

and another pic...Hey, Wheres my Nose?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxewhodey
Beautiful pic!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 PM
THAWA

That transmission looks new/rebuilt.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Why are you doing this???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 AM

The tranny has only 5k miles on it

It only has 5000 pls miles on the remanufacture, thats why I got the car. Its practically new. The replacement was over 4000 to the previous owner so I got on it and Im stripping the car for parts.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hiya Mike! Glad she finally is loose Got home later afternoon and got motivated too. Got the oil changed in the truck as it was good and hot after the long haul, and then finished a garage wiring project that I've been working on so that I can get back on the SVX projects.

Danny-this car was totalled by the insurance company (rear end collision) and I needed parts for my '94 Laguna Blue which was in a front end collision.

Todd
Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Danny-this car was totalled by the insurance company (rear end collision) and I needed parts for my '94 Laguna Blue which was in a front end collision.

Todd
Oh...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I look like Gordon

Just looking at your picture, I'd bet you just bent the dipstick tube and no longer have a seal where it meets the tranny. There's only one bolt there and the metal tab on the tube is pretty weak.

It is very easy to do when removing the tranny, trust me.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Rufus, Im pretty sure youre right

That was the only place where it was leaking from. I originally thought it might be that but I wasnt sure how weak they were. How easy is it to fix this problem? A screw loose or new gasket maybe? Thanks in advance for reply.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
I look like Gordon

Take the tube off (there is the bolt where it meets the tranny, then another on the stand-off a little farther up the tube if I remember correctly). Gently bend the tab down a little (away from the handle end of the tube) with a pair of pliers. Take care not to break it, but I would bend it just a little past 90°. This will put some extra pressure on it when you tighten the bolt back down. It certainly would not hurt to replace the o-ring at the bottom of the tube, either, but I'm guessing the o-ring is not the problem. Reinstall and roll the tranny towards the tube side a little to get some fluid up against the seal and check for leaks.

I hope this works, it has for me in the past.

Another note on your earlier post... If the pan is bent, there is a chance that the bottom of the pan will actually rest against the inlet of the tranny fluid filter and effectively block the flow of fluid. I have been through this one as well. Check carefully before you re-use the current pan or you may have some heart-stopping moments when you fire everything up and the car doesn't want to move. If you drop the pan, you may even see a mark in the paint (on the inside) that matches the inlet port on the filter. These pans have roughly the bending resistance of an aluminum beer can

Mmmmmm beer.

If it is bowed in far enough to cause this problem, either beat it out with a rubber mallet or get a new one. I think they are pretty cheap.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Oh, one more thing. If you remove the pan, torque the bolts very carefully when you reinstall it. They snap like matchsticks.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mudfoot76
holy crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
That transmission looks new/rebuilt.
Yeah, it was barely one year old when an old bastard smashed into me

$4k for that new tranny down the drain, and sxewhodey buys a fantastic parts car for f'in cheap. I regularly have to drive past the offices where that jerk's insurance rep resides, and I take the opportunity to give them the finger each and every time...but I digress.

Unless you're planning on junking that transmission, I'd suggest you be careful. It was practically brand new when I sold the car to you. You could easily make back the $$ you paid me just be selling that transmission. [Damn, I wish I had the facilities to part that car out....]
2005 Mini Cooper S
Sold: 1994 LS-L Laguna Blue [to sxewhodey]