How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 02:44 PM
legacy852

Dodge brings back Charger, Could SVX comeback?

Recently I noticed Dodge brought back thier Charger and boy it looks sweet. Too bad it probly can only go in a straight line, but I havent test drove it yet. Not to mention that the SVX would be a god compared to the Charger in the snow.
Anyway, I was thinking, could the SVX make it's return? I doubt it since the sales look terrible from 92-97 . I bet it would cost $40,000 now and come with a 300 hp engine like the WRX Sti if it did make a return today. Anyway I would probly beg for the new SVX and somehow get one.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy852
Recently I noticed Dodge brought back thier Charger and boy it looks sweet. Too bad it probly can only go in a straight line, but I havent test drove it yet. Not to mention that the SVX would be a god compared to the Charger in the snow.
Anyway, I was thinking, could the SVX make it's return? I doubt it since the sales look terrible from 92-97 . I bet it would cost $40,000 now and come with a 300 hp engine like the WRX Sti if it did make a return today. Anyway I would probly beg for the new SVX and somehow get one.
For the SVX (or the next successor of the XT/SVX line) to keep true to its root, it would need to have cutting-edge Subaru technology, and the engine more than likely be fresh.

If they used the 2.5T in it, it just wouldn't be the same... I much rather see Subaru bring back the 3.3L with a larger displacement, say, 3.5L, variable valve timing, and perhaps twin turbos.

Also, the car would need to remain luxurious in nature.. Unlike the STi.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 07-17-2005, 04:45 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

The charger was legendary.....unfortunatley we are the only people that see the SVX that way. Subaru see's the SVX as a failure....a flop...but what a cool flopper

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-17-2005, 06:26 PM
SVXtra

The Muscle Cars of the mid to late 60s which sold in extreamly large numbers and who's names have recently reentered production are all considered classics. Basically, what we are seeing now is reengineered dream cars from the high school and college day's of the boomer generation. Automakers are doing this because the boomers are the generation that controls the majority of the wealth in our country now. Basically, Detroit is selling us dreams. Names like GTO,Cobra,Charger,Charger R/T and Hemi. All of these names hold a special meaning to male boomers especially. In fact, there is even talk that Dodge might bring back the Challenger if the Charger is a hit. Now if Chevrolet would only bring back the SS Chevelle and use some of the styling cues from the legendary 1970 LS-6.

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-17-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:45 PM

The Who iS a good band, and my dad owned a maroon 65 GTO. Now who's cool?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 07-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Return of the SVX?

Guess we'll have to see whether this ever makes production...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
The Muscle Cars of the mid to late 60s which sold in extreamly large numbers and who's names have recently reentered production were all considered classics. Basically, what we are seeing now is reengineered dream cars from the high school and college day's of the boomer generation. Automakers are now doing this because the boomers are the generation that controls the majority of the wealth in our country.Basically Detroit is selling dreams. Names the GTO,Cobra,Charger,Charger R/T,Hemi. All these names hold a special meaning to boomers. In fact, there is even talk that Dodge might bring back the Challenger if the Charger is a hit. Now if Chevrolet would only bring back the SS Chevelle and use some of the styling cues from the legendary 1970 LS-6.

Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

they recently built a chevelle ss concept car off the new gto but gm has recently grounded the plans, but the chevelle and camaro were going to come back till that decision. but now they'll only be going ahead with the new gto due out in 2008 due for financial problems in gm. what a shame.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:20 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Guess we'll have to see whether this ever makes production...

-Chike

The tribeca is really the only subaru that grill looks so bad on....i actually kinda like it on the other subaru's.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-18-2005, 04:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Careful, they may start offering it with an AWD option if they dont already. I believe it shares some of its parts with the Magnum Wagon. The Magnum is offered with AWD now, so it isnt a stretch for them to offer the Charger with it.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
An SVX comeback would be very exciting, but highly unlikely. Still it would be ko0l to see a concept SVX or something.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Recently I noticed Dodge brought back thier Charger and boy it looks sweet. Too bad it probly can only go in a straight line, but I havent test drove it yet.
Too bad, it seems that the new Charger can't do even that too well.

The new rebadged remakes of the classics lack the personality of their older brothers, and like SVXtra said, the car companies are capitalizing on selling dreams to the boomers, and little more. These new remakes aren't the muscle cars of an earlier era, but practical family cars with fanciful names to evoke dreams of the older muscle cars without the unrefined personality of those beasts. The new cars are family cars, with only the new GTO coming even close to the old mark (it's still far off, but it's the best of the worst).

It's funny seeing 300C's and Magnums and Hemi trucks lining up to race, as if that new Hemi engine meant their car could beat anything out there.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
Too bad, it seems that the new Charger can't do even that too well.

The new rebadged remakes of the classics lack the personality of their older brothers, and like SVXtra said, the car companies are capitalizing on selling dreams to the boomers, and little more. These new remakes aren't the muscle cars of an earlier era, but practical family cars with fanciful names to evoke dreams of the older muscle cars without the unrefined personality of those beasts. The new cars are family cars, with only the new GTO coming even close to the old mark (it's still far off, but it's the best of the worst).

It's funny seeing 300C's and Magnums and Hemi trucks lining up to race, as if that new Hemi engine meant their car could beat anything out there.
I agree with that statement regarding Chrysler... I about had a heart attack when I saw the first picture of the new "Charger"... With 4 doors?! I mean, WTF?

However, Ford has done an excellent job of bringing back a car with well founded roots... The Shelby Cobra. Even the new Mustang and Mustang GT aren't really that bad of a retro representation, keeping true to their roots.

I'm no big GM fan, but I am praying they do produce a retro-inspired Camaro. Truly bring back the good ol' muscle car days... (Chrysler has deeply disappointed me).
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
SVXtra

I don't know.

The SRT-8 has a 6.1-liter engine with 425 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. That's more power per liter than the Street Hemis that reigned supreme in the mid 1960 to early 1970s. Not to mention numerous upgrades in suspension to include Brembo brakes. And with the addition of cylinder displacement on demand giving you 20 mpg and a very good Mercedes derived 4-wheel drive system arriving sometime next year the Charger SRT-8 will be on a performance level unheard of in any car costing less than 100K. Gentlemen,styling is subjective and always has been. Basically, its beauty in the eye of the beholder. But numbers do not lie. And what is a fully loaded SRT-8 Charger with 4 wheel-drive going to cost? About 48k. I'm impressed.

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-18-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Tofu

Abandon hope of any new Camaro. The Zeta platform, which was to underpin both the Buick Velite and a new Camaro has been canceled. Only the next generation large RWD Holdens (Commodore, Monaro, Ute) will get a watered down version of Zeta. There may not even be a new GTO, since they have been badly missing their sales target since day one.

As far as the SVX goes, it, like the Fiero, will go down as one of those cars that some people will always want to see redone, and probably never will. Both cars were released with a ton of promise, some unfullfilled expectations, improved steadily, and were killed off just as they were starting to get it right. There's just no business case for a new SVX - the Impreza and Legacy hold down the bread and butter side of things, and the WRX/STi function admirably as halo cars, and are actually profitable, since they share so much DNA with their pedestrian cousins (much like the old muscle cars of the '60s - hotted up family sedans with big engines).

And don't criticize the neo-muscle cars for being normal family cars with fanciful names. That's what a muscle car was. The starter of it all, the GTO, was just a Tempest with a bigger engine, much like the current GTO is simply a 2-door Commodore with a bigger engine. That's the muscle car heritage. And a modern 5.7L Chrysler V8 (which isn't a Hemi, incidentally) makes more power then the average musclecar engine of yesteryear, given we actually use standardized measurements and not fanicful marketing.

The Mustang is a perfect example of a smoke and mirror job to fool the great unwashed masses. Sure it makes everyone warm and fuzzy with it's pseudo 1969 fastback styling, but it still has an archaic rear suspension, poor packaging, and really, what are they going to do for an encore? A neo-Mustang II? The DaimlerChrysler LX cars do a better job, but they also are going to suffer from a sophomore slump when it comes time to redesign. As far as the name goes, although the new Dodge LX would have been better suited as a Polara or somesuch, the Charger name has the highest name recognition and strongest equity. Better to be recognized then to be anonymous, much like the adage that even bad publicity is good publicity.

Oh, and, the SRT-8 will not even come close to unheard of performance for under $100K. A C6 Z06 will kick the crap out of it and steal it's lunch money in a straight line, a BMW M5 will destroy it in any dynamic category, and a Lotus Elise will run circles around it all day long. Actually, even if you lower the bar to under $50K, a normal C6 will still make it look silly in any benchmark other then carrying more then one passenger.

Last edited by Tofu; 07-18-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 PM
SVXtra

The first muscle cars of the 1960s were the 1961/62 Dodge Polara's with the 413. The 1962 409 Impala with 409 hp and the 421 Pontiac Catalinas especially in Super Duty race trim which had been available to Pontiac owners since 1960. By removing two bolts on each of the Catalinas dual exhaust pipes you by-passed the mufflers. A Perfect set-up for quick street and strip drag racing. I believe John Delorean's Pontiac GTO a name he borrowed from the Ferrari GTO which is Grand Turismo Omologato translated Grand Touring Production was released in late 1964. And as far as the performance of the Corvette and BMW exceeding that of 4 wheel drive Charger when its released. If there is a 1/2 of snow on the ground it won't be much of a race. Dodge has also released a 500 hp engine in limited quanties for the Charger and will be releasing this Race Hemi in greater numbers next year. As far as the new Hemi not being a true Hemi [as in hemispherical combustion chambers] that really makes no difference in the modern Hemi because the combustion chambers in the new Hemi were intentionally designed to be semi-hemispherical in order to decrease emissions and increased the efficency of the cylinder on demand system. Also,I would add that there is a great deal more to driving a car than driving in a straight line. Also, Pontiac is commited to producing the GTO until 2008.

Quote:
the current GTO is simply a 2-door Commodore with a bigger engine.
By the way,the Pontiac GTO is based on the Holden Monaro not the Commodore.

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-19-2005 at 01:02 AM.