Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
Stupid cavaliers!

Well, okay, okay it's not the car's fault I guess...

Apparently my clutch slave cylinder has bit the dust quite suddenly and randomly. The clutch will press to the floor without any effort and stay there. Weird thing is, altho the bottom of the transmission is wet, the clutch fill cup stays full. Doesn't decrease. The gear oil in the gearbox is perfect.

I just don't understand how that could be; and finding information on the 5-speed Isuzu transmission on the Z24 cavaliers is near impossible. j-body.com members were quite literally useless. Why can't more online boards be like the SVX Net? Ask a question here and you get a book of weathly information.

Quite frankly I'm so frustrated by it that I've decided to just replace the whole effin tranny, the one in that car wasn't very happy anyways... gears had worn to the point of whining. Of course, trying to find a remanufacturer online is crap, too.

I suppose if nothing else, this has helped me find the motivation to get my SVX back to being on the street. Even so, I still paid a deal of money for the car, it being a 99 Z24, and I refuse to deal with the local chevy dealership and their "bring it in to be billed for an estimation of what's obvious to begin with, but we won't tell you until you pay" mentality.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

Now it's just down to the "wait for Dayle to ship me a wheel" clock watching. SVX is better than a Cavy any day anyways. Blah.

-Sz
Old 03-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I'm pretty sure the auto-adjusting nature of the hydraulic system in the cavalier would keep the fill cup full. A bad cylinder would simply be unable to generate enough pressure to properly clamp.

Call around some local junkyards and see if any have a wrecked fairly low mileage 95+ 5-speed car that you could cannibalize the parts from. You could probably replace both cylinders for less than the price the dealer would charge for one. Either install it yourself, or find a reputable mechanic to do it.

I've given up on finding reputable dealers. So few of them exist anymore. I just do everything I possibly can on my own, and whatever i'm too much of a pansy to do on my own, I send to an independent mechanic that my dad used to work with on his pit crew. He's not the most up-to-date or high-tech...but at least I can trust him to do what I need and nothing else...and he actually listens to me when I give him what I think would be helpful information.

Good luck with it.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Weasel 22

its illegal to compare a cavy with an SVX..you just get a warning this time..notice the car isn't good enough to be capitalized
Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 PM

What about the people that compare SVXs to Probes? Should they be arrested?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
touche sir, touche
Old 03-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the auto-adjusting nature of the hydraulic system in the cavalier would keep the fill cup full. A bad cylinder would simply be unable to generate enough pressure to properly clamp.

Call around some local junkyards and see if any have a wrecked fairly low mileage 95+ 5-speed car that you could cannibalize the parts from. You could probably replace both cylinders for less than the price the dealer would charge for one. Either install it yourself, or find a reputable mechanic to do it.

I've given up on finding reputable dealers. So few of them exist anymore. I just do everything I possibly can on my own, and whatever i'm too much of a pansy to do on my own, I send to an independent mechanic that my dad used to work with on his pit crew. He's not the most up-to-date or high-tech...but at least I can trust him to do what I need and nothing else...and he actually listens to me when I give him what I think would be helpful information.

Good luck with it.
Just to elaborate... Make sure you get whatever parts you need from a 95-99 Cav or Sunfire. The 2000+ models use the Getrag transmission, where the others use the Isuzu Box.

Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

Noooo. They should be shot!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-29-2005, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
Just to elaborate... Make sure you get whatever parts you need from a 95-99 Cav or Sunfire. The 2000+ models use the Getrag transmission, where the others use the Isuzu Box.

Mike
Good catch. Didn't think of that.