Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-12-2004, 11:00 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
Help water in my car!

Ok, the problems never stop. I found a leak in my passenger side of the car. I read a thread about it, but it didnt really help me much. I know for a fact that I have one hole in the weatherstripping on the pass side door on the top. so to experiment I put black tape on the hole, then black tape on the the weatherstripping and the door. So it can be a solid seal. I took out the carpet and front two seats, then vacuumed it and made it dry, I then put my back two tires on ramps, to see if my floor boards had holes in it , and thank god nothing there. So I left it like that . Now I see water dripping from the front of the passenger side, now theres 2 leaks. so im thinking how can water get from the pass door to the front, if I sealed that hole? anyone who had similar problems and resloved it? any diagrams of the rubber seals from the windsheild and down, drain tubes etc? Thanks everyone
Old 04-12-2004, 11:02 PM
JLittell

Maybe you did find your leak afterall! Maybe since you but some tape on the hole the water is now channeling down the weatherstriping to a different hole and leaking elsewhere. Check the entire weatherstripping...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:05 AM
SVX Appeal

Don't forget that the water must go somewhere. Most cars have a whole network of channels and hoses and such to route the water to the ground. Ever wonder where the water goes that runs into the vent intake at the base of the windshield? There's a special water trap in there that allows air to enter, but routes the water down drain tubes.

Basically, what I'm saying is that unless the water is still getting inside the car, it's probably not an issue. If the carpet still getting wet? Can you describe more precisely where the water is going? "The front of the passenger side" describes the entire corner of the car. Inside/outside? Ceiling/door/floor? Fender/door/kick panel/a-pillar/b-pillar? Need details.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:45 PM
How fast is fast?

I did actually find one of the leaks, I found another one today, which makes it a total of 3!!!!!. ok the weatherstripping one I put black tape(temporary), its holding pretty good, then my pass window wasnt aligned properly so I aligned it no leak there, then there was a leak in the front pass side. I found the leak on the interior part of the firewall under the HVAC system. So I checked it out and yes its leaking from the HVAC system. What should I do now? I took apart the wipers and cleaned under the motor so water could flow porperly, I doubt that will help. I'm terrified to find out where the leaks is coming from now, I dont have the slightest clue where to start but take out the dash. It is real little now, I actually fixed the major leaks this one is drops. Sigh, and I took out the carpet and cleaned it .
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 PM
SVX Appeal

If you're using your air conditioning, there will be condensation on the evaporator inside the air ducts under your dash. The condensation does collect and it must go somewhere. I'm not sure what Subaru's solution to this is. Some cars don't have a solution! On those cars, it just drips and that's the way it goes.

In any case, if you've been using your A/C, this may be your source. Remember, the defrost also uses the A/C because of it's tendency to create condensation. Doing this takes moisture out of the air, thus making the defrost more effective.

I've had plugged passages in my air duct and water trap drains because of pine needles and leaves.

Testing for leaks is a challenge. Sometimes you can trace the water trail up to its source. Other times you need to spend some time with a garden hose. If you get to the hose, douse only one spot at a time. Wait at least a few minutes before dousing another spot. It can take a long time (sometimes 20 minutes) for water to reach the spot where you notice it, especially slow leaks.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 PM
How fast is fast?

you are absolutely right. But it is weird because when I looked under the hood, I saw a hose near the cat, a rubber hose, I think it is supposed to drain out there. When I go to subaru to pick up some parts I will ask them for the drains for the evap and Hvac etc. Thanks again everyone will keep everyone posted
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Help water in my car!

"Will keep everyone posted" MMMMM!
I know it's an old thread but I had the same issue and fixed it.
A lot of water was coming in on the passenger side and the flow increased with the fan speed.
Water also came in when using the A/C. By comparing my leaky SVX with the non-leaky one, I found the drain hose for the HVAC had fallen off. It's connected to the white box in the passenger footwell. The outlet faces forward and passes through the firewall above the right hand exhaust manifold.
It was a great relief to know I didn't have to rip anything apart.

Last edited by Blacky; 09-03-2010 at 06:48 PM.