Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-20-2004, 05:23 AM
TonyShaleUK

Diff gone?

What a saga....

Recon auto box fitted. Heavy thumping through the car from the front at parking speeds on lock. Must be front driveshaft. Change both shafts. Noise still there. You can see the wheel jumping as you do it. At any speed over 10mph or in a straight line, no problem.

I assume that the diff is the culprit, losing friction between the plates as a different torque is demanded by each front wheel?

This is the 10th week of being off the road.....Back to the garage on Monday. Again.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Diff gone?

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
What a saga....

Recon auto box fitted. Heavy thumping through the car from the front at parking speeds on lock. Must be front driveshaft. Change both shafts. Noise still there. You can see the wheel jumping as you do it. At any speed over 10mph or in a straight line, no problem.

I assume that the diff is the culprit, losing friction between the plates as a different torque is demanded by each front wheel?

This is the 10th week of being off the road.....Back to the garage on Monday. Again.
Tony the differential gears in the unit could be damaged, they would not make a noise when going straight, only when turning.

To tell if so, raise the front put the shifter in park, rotate one wheel by hand, the other wheel will rotate in the oppersit way. You should be able to feel any trouble with these gears as you turn the wheel by hand.

Harvey

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Paxton71

If you feel no damage in the front diff:

Check the transfer clutch.

When we were young(er) and dumb(er) we used to put our CJ5 into 4x4 on dry pavement and drive in circles. The resultant driveline binding produced serious wheel (and Jeep) hop, bucking, tire barking, etc. It was funny (then). your description sounds like driveline binding from more than just left/right on the front. I think it might be binding front/rear.

The front diff is open. No limited slip. The rear does have a limited slip in it. The JEEP would hop with open diffs too.

My current truck has locking diffs in both ends. When they are locked, it first gets REALLY hard to turn. Driveline can bind so much the truck will STOP. (right before something breaks) There is no wheel hop. It just won't turn lock

I just don't think it is diff.

-Stephen

Last edited by Paxton71; 03-22-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
its probobly not ur diff. like they said, its open so one wheel can spin while the other doesn't. but don't rule it out, you could have fused the spyder gears to the shaft in the diff and made it locking now. by the way thats not good. check your diff for excessive shavings, this could be your prime suspect. just pull your plug and you will see them piled up on the magnet. let us know how your progress goes.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:04 AM
TonyShaleUK

Thanks for the replies. I sent thecar back to the reconditioners on Thursday. No news yet....before I did, I pulled the fault codes from the power light. Nothing in the existing problems, but code 25 in previous problems - engine torque control signal. What is this and where does the signal come from?

Waiting with fingers crossed.....