Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-18-2004, 10:24 AM

"In my book, it's not cool to pay mechanics, they just screw more stuff up."

In the words of my dear, late Father:

"Yet another satisfied customer!"
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 03-19-2004, 06:27 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Also don't the 96's and 97's have 3 O2 sensors??? Mine only has 2 which is great because I would have had to rip out the third one to get the full Stebro exhaust on there... I think I like OBD1 too, more simple (if our cars could be that )

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-23-2004, 05:58 AM

OBD I and OBD II

Each one is great in it's own respects.

Although the OBD II seem to have more stuff. I won't say better but ti's suppose to BE..

I made a post " Diagnostic Black box for cars"

do a search or go to my locker to see what this tiny chip can do for an OBD II equipped car. I so want to see what the SVX spits out but alas I have a 92.
I had some problems posting things as attachements so it's in the locker.
or Visit http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_products.asp

neat product that does most of what an OBD II scanner can do
without the triple Zero's. yet there are a lot of things a select monitor can Do that ,well don't compare..

I've had a lot of fun with this carchip. check it out. I spent a whole week at the beach and it only used 30% of the memory..\

the Carchip E/X has a larger storage...

Right now my county is starting to do emmission checks. I agree with them as there are several problems this might help but at $45.00 a year to check any 96 year and above.. I forsee a lot of O2 sensros being replaced among other things and WHo says all garages are gonna be HONEST about it.. The state is only mandating they Check at the OBD port and not at the tail pipe. Whic only makes half sense to me since every other state I have lived in Always goes to the tail pipe for emmissions. Sounds like NC has found yet another way to increase the size of the CASH COW.

Happy Drive'n
SVX1999
Old 03-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Our '94 SVX LSi does not have OBD II.

I have a question. If OBD II was required on all USA 1996 cars , was there an OBD I? If yes, what was it like?

Personally I'm partial to Roman Numeral III.
So I will vote for Nader. Than I will lobby him, when he is president, to get OBD III installed on USA cars.
OBDI is a misnomer, there never was a 'true' OBDI. OBDII will be superceded by CAN, a faster, more robust system.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
yes, there was an OBDI, and you are driving in it u tell me. The ECU used in the svx before 96 was the OBD I, and personally i like it a lot better, due to the fact that tou do not need a 3000 dollar scanner to find out, you need an 02 sensor. The OBD I Ecu's in most cars had a self diagnostics check like our's w/ the black connector and blue wires, as oposed to OBDII which you need to have checked by a profensional w/ the scanner. In my book, it's not cool to pay mechanics, they just screw more stuff up.
I'm detecting another AutoZone customer.

The codes you retrieve from the car's computer do not necessarily mean that device is bad. A vacuum leak could set off a code saying the O2 sensor is stuck low, for example. The codes just tell you where to begin investigating. I do driveability work almost every day and I get quite a few cars from people using the 'AutoZone Shotgun Approach' - pull a code, sell a part, didn't fix the problem, "Sorry about your luck, Chuck. Here, try another part..." and the a trip to see me to fix the original problem and remove all the crap parts they sold you that aren't worth putting on a skateboard. We don't buy cheap parts like theirs because we, as professionals, can't afford to back them up. Too many shop owners are too lame to tell their customers to leave and not come back if they insist on using "..the parts down the street are cheaper than what you are trying to screw me for." That's how so many techs earn your trust. Well, that and most people think if someone can change the washer on a garden hose they are qualified to do auto repair. [/soapbox off] Sorry, I'm a little touchy after hearing that drivel for thirty some years.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Also don't the 96's and 97's have 3 O2 sensors??? Mine only has 2 which is great because I would have had to rip out the third one to get the full Stebro exhaust on there... I think I like OBD1 too, more simple (if our cars could be that )
A requirement of OBDII is Catalytic convertor efficiency monitoring, that's the reason for the third O2 sensor. The two fwd sensors, B1S1 & B1S2 (bank one, sensor one, etc.) watch the results of how the fuel is being burned, the rear sensor, B1S2 &/or B2S2 for dual exhaust, watch how the cat(s) handle cleaning up any residual HCs. The rear sensor has absolutely no effect on the running of the car, it just watches to see if the cat is still working.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

OBDI is a misnomer, there never was a 'true' OBDI. OBDII will be superceded by CAN, a faster, more robust system.
Oh yes By 2008 CAN will be the NEW kid on the block.
Computer area network.. I think this is very interesting and exciting mainly because it runs so much faster, more information is going to avalable through one port.. All be it ,I bet the tools are going to be Very expensive and things are going to be a little more complicated. Can't stop progress. OBDII might hicup or burp you a CE light when you leave the gas cap off or loose.. However it works pretty well at doing it's job. I'm not a meachanic but I atleast try to do things right.

Svx1999~

PS. don't argur with Beav he knows his stuff up, down, sideways,
and reverse. NOt only that, seems like a Honest meachanic which is dang hard to find.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Porter

All 2004 MY turbo Subarus (WRX, STI, F-XT, Baja Turbo) are already CAN compliant. The transfer speeds out of the new ECUs are incredible, I get updates on my DeltaDash/ECUtek console as fast as 20ms. I'm currently connecting via RS-232 serial at 230Kb/s. The live graph plotting is wild, it's as close to "realtime" as Subaru telemetry gets right now. As the speed of serial devices improves, it will only get better... the ECUs support something in the range of 1.5Mb/s transfer, which is huge for sensor data. In comparison, the previous OBDII ECUs topped out at like 19200 baud.

The '94 and '95 SVX ECUs have all the information available through a scantool that OBDII has (plus a bunch more) but are not technically OBDII compliant due to differences in their connection plug.

With the proper OBD->SVX adapter you can pull some of the codes on an '94/'95 with an OBDII scanner, but it depends on the scanner and the range of protocols it supports. The Subaru Select Monitor (tool that all Subaru dealerships use) interfaces with all years of SVX in "native" mode and an incredible array of live sensor data is available.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
New SVX Owner

Not to raise a dead subject, but...

What about the opposite? Would a OBDI work in a '96? I'm interested in the ECUTune project and it won't work with OBDII(yet). LAN has enough on his plate right now, so I don't want to bother him about it any more than I have too. He made a comment Here that seems to lead to the possibility that it could work. Does anybody know anything about this? I live with somebody who isn't interested with me tinkering with my car unless I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that it will work(as much money as we sink into these cars, I'm sure you know why) . Any pointers to someone who has already made an adapter or plug that would make this work would be awesome. Thanks guys if you have anything.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtyem
What about the opposite? Would a OBDI work in a '96? I'm interested in the ECUTune project and it won't work with OBDII(yet). LAN has enough on his plate right now, so I don't want to bother him about it any more than I have too. He made a comment Here that seems to lead to the possibility that it could work. Does anybody know anything about this? I live with somebody who isn't interested with me tinkering with my car unless I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that it will work(as much money as we sink into these cars, I'm sure you know why) . Any pointers to someone who has already made an adapter or plug that would make this work would be awesome. Thanks guys if you have anything.
I think you're back to what LAN said earlier - get the schematics and build a jumper harness...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
OK I did a search for OBD1 scanners and came upon this thread. I am a rookie at this so please be patient. I know I can check my CEL codes by coonecting the blue wire in the kick panel but my question is would I get better/ more in depth information from OBD1/OBDII scanner? Is it worth the price to buy one? If so, where does it hook up to? I am guessing that my 95 is an OBD1 car but I can make sure by crawling under the car and checking to make sure I only have 2 O2 sensors, correct?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
ODBII SVX's have a connector on the right side of the dash in place of the coin holder.

And Paul, I got your PM, no I didn't....
Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
OK So I have an OBD1 car. and Dave I just saw your post and will get the money off to you tonight when I get home. (if I don't forget again) I am an old bastard and am starting to forget.....ahhhh what was I just saying....
and back to the OBD1 monitor, I guess from reading other posts that i would need to buy$$$$ one of those Subaru Select Monitors and the cartridge to read the codes in my car correct?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
OBDII is not something that is desirable...

one extra o2 sensor to go wrong, no ECUtune support, the infamous 'open gas cap' lamp, need a code reader to pull codes, and at least here in NJ, you will fail inspection if the CEL is on in an OBDII car... not so with an older car
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
OK So I have an OBD1 car. and Dave I just saw your post and will get the money off to you tonight when I get home. (if I don't forget again) I am an old bastard and am starting to forget.....ahhhh what was I just saying....
and back to the OBD1 monitor, I guess from reading other posts that i would need to buy$$$$ one of those Subaru Select Monitors and the cartridge to read the codes in my car correct?
It is possible to build or buy a cheap and simple interface to connect your PC to an OBD1 SVX (and possibly OBD2 SVXes too). A number of members are working on projects related to this. There is a lot to read if you are interested.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38685
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41496
http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II