How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-10-2004, 06:43 AM
onebroker

Whining Subi problem

Are the trannys on the Subi's notably weak? I heard this from a non Subi driver, so I question his veracity compared with his envy. My mechanic suggested a possible rear end problem (?). Also, I've avoided dealers because of cost etc. Have most of you had decent service experiences with dealers? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The transmission in the SVX is not 'weak,' as some have suggested. It does fail more often than it should, but it's not because there's a problem inherent with the tranny itself.

Subaru did not cool the SVX's transmission sufficiently, and that's all there is to it. The stock cooler, located in the radiator, seems to only serve as an ATF heater in cold climates.

While there is little consensus on how and where to install an aftermarket cooler, what we can all agree on is that the SVX's transmission needs one.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-10-2004, 03:39 PM
MarXVS

Re: Whining Subi problem/Dealership

Quote:
Originally posted by onebroker
I've avoided dealers because of cost etc. Have most of you had decent service experiences with dealers? Thanks.
When I first got my SVX I was sure a dealer would provide better service, simply because of familiarity and experience with this car. I was even willing to pay more thinking it was a good investment. I've used all 3 dealers in my area but I've also used 'non-dealer service providers, the most recent a rock n opinion replacement. The dealer involvement was a waste of time and money. I've had both good and bad experiences but after all is said and done the bottom line is; I've spent way too much money at dealerships over the course of this 8 year car/human marriage with the performance getting worse after each dealer visit. Not that pleased.

Having spent big bucks for both good and bad service, I look for after-service behaviours that indicate a willingness to go that extra mile. A good example is their willingness to make good on bad work. I finally found a service provider I think tries to emulate those qualities, and it isn't a dealer. Too bad we have to go through so many attempts before we find that mechanic. I let the dealer do scheduled maintenances and things that might need computer diagnostics or specialized gear.

One final comment, check the SVX Shop Search (top right) section to see if there's a car doctor near you that others have commented on. I could be wrong but it seems there's no shortage of people here willing to talk about experiences with an SVX.

Mark