How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

I usually adhere to the "it's better to say nothing than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" rule. Usually.

It seems that Mr. Horn has mistaken a barbed tongue for a forked tongue. In slight defense of his post, it is hard to know the tone of the message when it is print only. The print medium loses some of the vocal inflections, facial expressions and body language that go along with talking to someone face-to-face. The fact that I cannot convey sarcasm in print as well as in person has reduced my literary options by half. Without smiley faces, I would be at a totally screwed. That does not, however, excuse his rash judgment of people who he does not know. Mr. Horn may be the type of person who is accustomed to swooping in and saving people who he thinks are unable to handle themselves. He may even put on a pair of Batman Underroos and take to the rooftops at night looking to strike fear into the hearts of people he thinks may have said something offensive. You never know.

Although I have never met most of you in person, I have gotten to know your personalities via this forum. Kelli, Mitch, Randy and others have a great sense of humor and would never post something malicious unless provoked first. In general, most of these car trouble related posts are not of the SVX Anonymous type where people stand up and say, "Hi. My name is Randy and I'm having transmission problems." Then look around for serious sympathy. They usually fall into the "sitting around the bar, having a drink with the guys (and gals) discussing car problems" type. In that situation, you can expect a little good-natured ribbing.

As a final thought on Mr. Horn's requirement for everyone to give out their age, I would like to say that maturity is not granted at a certain age or bestowed upon someone who has a higher education or belongs to professional organizations. It is something that is reflected by a person's actions, how they express themselves and the general character of the person. Some people have it. Others don't.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 05-24-2003, 04:25 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14
I usually adhere to the "it's better to say nothing than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" rule. Usually.

It seems that Mr. Horn has mistaken a barbed tongue for a forked tongue. In slight defense of his post, it is hard to know the tone of the message when it is print only. The print medium loses some of the vocal inflections, facial expressions and body language that go along with talking to someone face-to-face. The fact that I cannot convey sarcasm in print as well as in person has reduced my literary options by half. Without smiley faces, I would be at a totally screwed. That does not, however, excuse his rash judgment of people who he does not know. Mr. Horn may be the type of person who is accustomed to swooping in and saving people who he thinks are unable to handle themselves. He may even put on a pair of Batman Underroos and take to the rooftops at night looking to strike fear into the hearts of people he thinks may have said something offensive. You never know.

Although I have never met most of you in person, I have gotten to know your personalities via this forum. Kelli, Mitch, Randy and others have a great sense of humor and would never post something malicious unless provoked first. In general, most of these car trouble related posts are not of the SVX Anonymous type where people stand up and say, "Hi. My name is Randy and I'm having transmission problems." Then look around for serious sympathy. They usually fall into the "sitting around the bar, having a drink with the guys (and gals) discussing car problems" type. In that situation, you can expect a little good-natured ribbing.

As a final thought on Mr. Horn's requirement for everyone to give out their age, I would like to say that maturity is not granted at a certain age or bestowed upon someone who has a higher education or belongs to professional organizations. It is something that is reflected by a person's actions, how they express themselves and the general character of the person. Some people have it. Others don't.

Cheers,
Matt
Yup...That's the nail on the head thingy.

Randy ("Hi, my name is Randy and I have transmission problems) ii
Sounds like an opening line from a Transmissiaholics meeting