Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM

TCU mod / Quick Change

I did a search on this but didn't really find what I was looking for. I kinda stubbled onto the Quick change, and have known about the TCU mods for a while now.

What's the difference between LAN's TCU mod and a Quick Change? Does one negate the need for the other? Do they compliment each other, or would they fight with each other if you had them both installed?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: TCU mod / Quick Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
I did a search on this but didn't really find what I was looking for. I kinda stubbled onto the Quick change, and have known about the TCU mods for a while now.

What's the difference between LAN's TCU mod and a Quick Change? Does one negate the need for the other? Do they compliment each other, or would they fight with each other if you had them both installed?
Oh mate, you are ringing my bell.

The Quick Change, just circumvents the TCU programming, that reduces the engines torque by 50%, turning every second fuel injection off, and reduces the Line pressure to allow the band and clutches to slip down to speed, to produce that 'Luxury Car Change'

The Quick Change allows the line pressure, that the throttle pressure sets, to be the apply pressure. This allows the engine to continue to produce the torque it was suppose to, for that change.

Because it allows the engine to produce full torque, the torque converter can work, to aid the acceleration needed when overtaking at speed.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The Quick Change allows the line pressure, that the throttle pressure sets, to be the apply pressure. This allows the engine to continue to produce the torque it was suppose to, for that change.

Because it allows the engine to produce full torque, the torque converter can work, to aid the acceleration needed when overtaking at speed.

Harvey.
Doesn't LAN's TCU mod also manipulate line pressures and make the trans shift better? Almost sounds to me like they are both very similar.

I am just asking because I have a stock trans in my SVX, I would like to do a manual swap, but in the mean time I don't want my trans to take a dump so I am looking for something cost effective to protect my investment for the time being. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Neither of those will help near as much as just driving it in "3" until you are doing at least 50-55, and then switching to "D". And that doesn't cost anything. Light throttle, cruising in 4th gear at low speeds is what kills these transmissions.

The QC doesn't really do anything at low throttle, from what I could tell. What it's very good at is making those full- or near full-throttle shifts firm, quick, and powerful. For going faster. It is better for the trans to shift quicker though, so it doesn't exactly hurt anything. If you get one, get it because you dislike the sloppy shifts at heavy throttle and want the car to be quicker, not just for longevity. And because you find yourself flooring it a lot.

LAN's TCU might help a bit, but it costs a lot.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

And because you find yourself flooring it a lot.
I have used my QC maybe..three times since I got it in May.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Neither of those will help near as much as just driving it in "3" until you are doing at least 50-55, and then switching to "D". And that doesn't cost anything. Light throttle, cruising in 4th gear at low speeds is what kills these transmissions.

The QC doesn't really do anything at low throttle, from what I could tell. What it's very good at is making those full- or near full-throttle shifts firm, quick, and powerful. For going faster. It is better for the trans to shift quicker though, so it doesn't exactly hurt anything. If you get one, get it because you dislike the sloppy shifts at heavy throttle and want the car to be quicker, not just for longevity. And because you find yourself flooring it a lot.

LAN's TCU might help a bit, but it costs a lot.

His chip is only $259.00.
Less if you do your own soldering.http://www.ecutune.com/tcu.htm
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM

I was looking at geting the TCU. Does it increase the MPG on the SVX? I would not be interested in the reg gas switch. Rather keep the good stuff running thru her. Looking to save and get better MPG.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92NJSVX View Post
I was looking at geting the TCU. Does it increase the MPG on the SVX? I would not be interested in the reg gas switch. Rather keep the good stuff running thru her. Looking to save and get better MPG.

Cheers,
Adam
The TCU lets you stay in first and second longer,
downshift more easily,
allow higher line pressure to save the friction parts,
and much quicker actual shifts.
By actual shifts what I mean is that when it actually shifts there is a quicker, more positive shift,
evan though the shift is more easily delayed to let the engine "get up to a better power range."
LAN can better explain his chip,
but I liked it enough to install one in my Claret, Christine, and my Pearlie.
On LAN's website He talks about how and why it works.
The link is listed above.

As far as using regular gasoline that would be the job of the ECU.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 AM

Registered SVX

^ This guy knows what he's talking about.

TCU and ECU are two different things. His ECUs allow you to use 87 octane. TCU has nothing to do with that. The TCU shouldn't affect gas mileage at all. If it does it will be negatively (and extremely slight), due to holding lower gears a bit longer, which is very, very good for trans longevity.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM

alright thanks guys I appreciate all the info on this. I especially like icingdeath88's free mod, "driving around in 3" in reality that will be very fitting for my situation in which 90% of my cruising is in the 0-35 mph range with the remaining 10% being in the 35-45mph range and that is literally for about 2 minutes on the way to work.

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Registered SVX

^ Save the money for turboing things. And do the power mode mod! Most cost-effective mod by far. Just put the button somewhere you can get to it easily.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
^ Save the money for turboing things. And do the power mode mod! Most cost-effective mod by far. Just put the button somewhere you can get to it easily.
roger on turboing things. power mode is done, not switched tho, i may add a switch later on.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
roger on turboing things. power mode is done, not switched tho, i may add a switch later on.
Switch is best. Torque converter lockup at higher speeds will also help with longevity.