Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM

Registered SVX
Re: pistons n cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
11:1 comp ratio.

What if it doesn't have to be perfect, though? Is it a corner worth cutting? The expense makes me think that it could be. I mean, I have 2 spare engines, one complete in a parts car and one just the longblock. So from a reliability standpoint, I could handle losing an engine. I realize it wouldn't be anywhere near as reliable as what you'll be running, but for half the cost, I think I could live with that.

I'm gonna talk with LAN and see what he thinks considering he's the one who designed the pistons in the first place, but if it's worth a try, I'll go for it next semester.

I'm feeling you about the cost issue. My current SVX (the one in my sig was in a wreck ) only cost $800. I can't see spending more than a few thousand on the engine.
This is where it becomes a personal preference. I plan to have this car to give to my first child, if and when that happens. It may not be realistic but I think it can be done. This is my second car, and honestly the first one I have seriously turned wrenches on. I am paying for performance, but even more so for memories, satisfaction, and knowledge. I could honestly have the engine blow up, and not freak out. I would he upset, sure. But if I couldn't live with it, I wouldn't build it. I AK not saying my engine will last forever. Or even 100k. But here's to hoping it will.

As far as talking with Michael, my experiences lead me to believe this is the right move. He is realistic, very knowledgeable, and most important is not a parts pusher. If he says it's the way he would do it, it is because if it were his car he would.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
This is where it becomes a personal preference. I plan to have this car to give to my first child, if and when that happens. It may not be realistic but I think it can be done. This is my second car, and honestly the first one I have seriously turned wrenches on. I am paying for performance, but even more so for memories, satisfaction, and knowledge. I could honestly have the engine blow up, and not freak out. I would he upset, sure. But if I couldn't live with it, I wouldn't build it. I AK not saying my engine will last forever. Or even 100k. But here's to hoping it will.

As far as talking with Michael, my experiences lead me to believe this is the right move. He is realistic, very knowledgeable, and most important is not a parts pusher. If he says it's the way he would do it, it is because if it were his car he would.
Good for you, man. Top notch attitude. I'm sentimental about my SVX too, as my uncle is the original owner (and still on the title) so it's important to me (and him) that it's taken care of. He's probably not too thrilled about the mods, but he loves my enthusiasm...better sitting in my garage getting some wrench-love than in his driveway doing nothing.

I'm all in favor of top-quality workmanship and commend you on doing it right instead of doing it twice Saw on your profile that you're an A&P, so I can certainly see why you'd want to do it by the book. Are you also a pilot? I grew up around aviation, and got my basic private pilot's license but haven't gone any further with it.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
Good for you, man. Top notch attitude. I'm sentimental about my SVX too, as my uncle is the original owner (and still on the title) so it's important to me (and him) that it's taken care of. He's probably not too thrilled about the mods, but he loves my enthusiasm...better sitting in my garage getting some wrench-love than in his driveway doing nothing.

I'm all in favor of top-quality workmanship and commend you on doing it right instead of doing it twice Saw on your profile that you're an A&P, so I can certainly see why you'd want to do it by the book. Are you also a pilot? I grew up around aviation, and got my basic private pilot's license but haven't gone any further with it.
I am indeed an airframe mechanic, but unfortunately do not have my A&P liscense. But I have done everything from joining sections of the fuselage to doing landing gear changes to installing pressure domes (all on commercial aircraft). I want to get my pilots liscense in the near future as my employer will pay for ground school. Something that I will probably be looking into soon. How long have you had your private liscense?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I am indeed an airframe mechanic, but unfortunately do not have my A&P liscense. But I have done everything from joining sections of the fuselage to doing landing gear changes to installing pressure domes (all on commercial aircraft). I want to get my pilots liscense in the near future as my employer will pay for ground school. Something that I will probably be looking into soon. How long have you had your private liscense?
I started lessons when I was 15, didn't get around to finishing up until I was 19. Aviation is a fun world to be a part of I'm actually planning on building a BearHawk if I can ever find the time to finish up and sell (most of) the project cars...and I can assure you, that one is not going to be a project I'll be budget-minded about.

The best advice I can give you in terms of getting your pilot's license, is do it as quickly as possible. You don't make hardly any progress if you're only flying a couple hours a month...and every lesson just becomes a refresher from last time if you don't make a serious effort to get through it as quickly as possible. I was pretty casual about it for the first several years, but I finally just gritted my teeth and got it done over a couple of months of serious focus on it. Consequently, I had something like 80 hours to get through it, when a crash-course'll get you done in more like 40-50.