Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 PM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX
starter good... relay replaced...has a good battery and cables are good...

Why do I just get a lousy single click? its not then p/n switch ethier... im to the point of saying **** it pretty soon here and parting this pos out. edit the starter solenoid is good too.
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings

Last edited by svxAL; 10-07-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Re: starter good... relay replaced...has a good battery and cables are good...

I think the starter solenoid is built right into the starter.

Applying 12 v directly to the small terminal on the starter with a fused jumper would show if the starter is good to go! anything less than turning the engine over in a normal way, assuming the battery is charged, would indicate a bad starter.

Make sure the car is in park and disconnect small the wire from the starter first. Don't need the ignition switch on to do this test...

Please report back with the results.

Keith
Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX

I pulled the starter out already and had it tested at the auto-parts store. I also can get it to turn over by hooking up power to the small terminal and grounding it out. Then I bolt it up to the car and all I get is one big click.
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Good, progress!
The relay was changed? are you sure you did the correct relay... There are a few. was it a 5 terminal one?

Keith
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxAL View Post
I pulled the starter out already and had it tested at the auto-parts store. I also can get it to turn over by hooking up power to the small terminal and grounding it out. Then I bolt it up to the car and all I get is one big click.
CHECK YOUR GROUNDS. Make sure the ground strap at the back of the engine is intact, and make sure the ground next to the battery is in good shape.

If its a loud click, more of a tap, its the starter kicking but not turning. A bad starter can bench test good because it has no load when tested. Dont part the car until you have had a new starter in it at least....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
CHECK YOUR GROUNDS. Make sure the ground strap at the back of the engine is intact, and make sure the ground next to the battery is in good shape.

If its a loud click, more of a tap, its the starter kicking but not turning. A bad starter can bench test good because it has no load when tested. Dont part the car until you have had a new starter in it at least....
"I pulled the starter out already and had it tested at the auto-parts store. I also can get it to turn over by hooking up power to the small terminal and grounding it out.

**Kinda of rules out the ground thingie.

Keith
Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 AM

Registered SVX

yea pretty sure it was the right one it was a bosch and I replaced it. The load thing makes sense maybe I should just by a damn starter..
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
"I pulled the starter out already and had it tested at the auto-parts store. I also can get it to turn over by hooking up power to the small terminal and grounding it out.

**Kinda of rules out the ground thingie.

Keith
"Kinda rules out the ground thingie"............ Thank you for this informed and highly technical rebuttal to my prior suggestion. Maybe he should go test the black thingie with the red thingie so he can make sure the big square thingy isnt shot and starving the thingamabopper for that whatchamacallit.
GROAN.............

Keith will you PLEASE READ before posting in random disagreement??

HE CAN GET IT TO TURN OVER BY "GROUNDING IT OUT".

Does that mean he got it to turn over by beating it with a hammer or gnawing on the steering wheel?? NO! He got it to turn over by GROUNDING IT OUT after hooking up power to the small terminal.

Esta vominos por que el engrish senior Keith?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 10-08-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: formatting fail
Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I think the starter solenoid is built right into the starter.

Applying 12 v directly to the small terminal on the starter with a fused jumper would show if the starter is good to go! anything less than turning the engine over in a normal way, assuming the battery is charged, would indicate a bad starter, or at the very least lead toward the right direction.

Make sure the car is in park and disconnect small the wire from the starter first. Don't need the ignition switch on to do this test...

Please report back with the results.

Keith
@SoCal LS-L... Pulling the starter and bench testing it does no good. Following my suggestion would easily determine the ground situation and the condition of the starter.

Thank you for thoughtfully pointing out my over-site on the way it was done. Your kindness is always noted!

I must have breezed right over it, thinking there is no way anyone would have done it that way.

Keith
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Be sure to check the electrical switch that is behind the ignition key/lock cylinder. My SVX would "click-click-click" literally for YEARS ("Just wiggle the key, Dear!") until I finally bit the bullet and pulled the entire assembly out when I realized the key could be removed without turning off the engine...

There is the housing that bolts to the steering column under the "security" cage, the ignition lock cylinder and a switch assembly. When the switch starts to wear out (after all, the newest of the SVX's are 13+ years old) or get intermittant you can experience the old "click-click", which in my case was not in any way related to the starter/solenoid or grounding in any way.

Might be a good time for a new ignition lock cylinder as well. I've actually found it convenient to leave the car running at times and manually lock the doors with the old key. You can always have the lock cylinder rekeyed to match if you prefer.

PLEASE NOTE: removing the plastic housings (clamshells) best be done carefully as they have a tendency to easily crack at the fasteners. Mine had been virtually ripped off at a Stealership years ago (kind'a like them an air gun to remove the body pan under the engine, huh?) and half the fasteners were gone or stripped. Good time to replace the security cage "security screws" with hex bolts, as well.

Cheers!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Registered SVX

The wiring is shot between the starter and the ignition cause every piace is good besides the wiring. I ran my own relay from the little black wire from the back of the starter now it starts every time.
PS. starter was good and same with the solenoid, put in new starter relay, p/n switch is good, and wiring from the batt to the starter is good.