Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
*sigh* rust...

Drivers side rear quarter panel. Just above the rear wheel and by the tail light. I've done/helped to do some body work in the past, but that was on old farm trucks. Anyone have some good tips for fixing this? Since it is my [favorite] SVX, I want it to be done right. I don't have the money to send it to a shop right now.

Side note: I believe that this car was rear-ended at some point before I bought it (I'm the 2nd owner). So it looks like whoever put it back together did a half-@ss job. So I'm also worried at the same time what I might find.

soooo...if anyone also knows of a shop in the Del/Mar/Va area with fair prices...

Pics:

92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: *sigh* rust...

Damn Rebecca, that's sad to see. I had the same "surprise" spring on me with my silver (also my favorite).

Hopefully you can find someone near you to do a good job.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I'm in the process of doing the same thing on the silver. I'm getting some rust right over the wheel well and working on getting rid of it. I didn't realize how big of a pain body work is. I have been wirewheeling away at it and trying to get it down to bare metal to prime. Are you able to see that part of the panel from the inside?

Check to see if it it's also rotting from behind, which really would be a determining factor in what to do next. I think I may have to get my fenderwell cut and a new piece welded back in (it's that bad )
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

It looks like you have quite a bit of filler in that quarter panel.
2001 Audi S8
Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Quite a bit of orange peel too.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

What u need to do is determine how bad the rust is. If it is bad aka rusted threw or bubbling on the inside) your going to need to cut it it out and weld a new panel/piece in. ootherwise grind it to get rid of the crack and or rust in this case grind till there is bare clean metal. Then re fill it using some evercoat filler. feather it out and prime it, then block it out , then scuff the whole quarter with gray or red scotch brite then paint it. done deal.. and dont worry if i had bady work done/ has filler in it I put filler in cars with 5 10 miles on them all the time at the dealer I work at. Just save that baby before she gets worse.. let me know if u have any ? and ill be sure to answer them!
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxAL View Post
What u need to do is determine how bad the rust is. If it is bad aka rusted threw or bubbling on the inside) your going to need to cut it it out and weld a new panel/piece in. ootherwise grind it to get rid of the crack and or rust in this case grind till there is bare clean metal. Then re fill it using some evercoat filler. feather it out and prime it, then block it out , then scuff the whole quarter with gray or red scotch brite then paint it. done deal.. and dont worry if i had bady work done/ has filler in it I put filler in cars with 5 10 miles on them all the time at the dealer I work at. Just save that baby before she gets worse.. let me know if u have any ? and ill be sure to answer them!
Or just travel to the midwest and have him do it
Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxAL View Post
Do most places prefer to not cut and weld? What type of cost is to be expected? 1000 dollar range for cutting, welding, paint and blend the panel plus the cost of panel?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Check to see if it it's also rotting from behind, which really would be a determining factor in what to do next. I think I may have to get my fenderwell cut and a new piece welded back in (it's that bad )
Unfortunately, any rust in the quarter panels (especially right behind the wheel openings), rocker panels and such ain't likely to be surface rust... it's rotting from within. Proper repair will be costly. Generally-speaking, body-filler repairs of rust perforation are temporary patches.

dcb
Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
It looks like you have quite a bit of filler in that quarter panel.
That's why I believe it was rear ended. That and you can see a difference in paint not too far from that area that covers the whole back end. The color has more gold in the paint than the stock Claret. Also the bumper is fading to hell. Has been since before I bought it. I'll take a look behind to see what I find. This car has been needing a paint job for awhile and I've been trying to fix everything on the inside before I paint the outside.

My father used to professionally restore Mustangs, so he knows all about rust. He has the equipment to fix it too. So I was hoping to get a little insight on things to watch out for SVX-wise when repairing. Maybe share any tips as well. But, in the end this maybe a sign to just paint/fix the whole outside at once.

Mike621 want to share tips on completely restoring a Claret?
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

I have about a 3x3 patch of rust near the pinch weld on the rear passenger side wheel well and my body guy wanted like $230 to fix it.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Rebecca,

I foresee liberal usage of a grinder, a welder, and a sheetmetal patch in your future.

Cut until you get to clean metal.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Unfortunately it's the tip of the iceberg. Mine did not even look that bad and I had to replace both quarter panels, rear wheel wells, and one rocker panel part. I spent over 5 grand. i know, I'm nuts!

At least the rest of the car was rust free. The rear wheel area seems to be the weak point on these cars.