How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Registered SVX
Engine re-installed, no start

Ok, so the engine came out for head gaskets, dropped the engine back in and hooked everything back up. It all goes smoothly. Get in the car, cycle i on and off a few times, unhook the ignitor and crank it a few times, hook it back up, and hit the starter. It turns over and fires but is running very rough so I shut it off. Since then I haven't gotten any sign of life out of it, not even a sputter. Has fuel and spark but won't catch. Tried a little bit of starting fluid but nada. Double checked all the sensors but they're new and hooked up correctly?

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Re: Engine re-installed, no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_2365 View Post
Ok, so the engine came out for head gaskets, dropped the engine back in and hooked everything back up. It all goes smoothly. Get in the car, cycle i on and off a few times, unhook the ignitor and crank it a few times, hook it back up, and hit the starter. It turns over and fires but is running very rough so I shut it off. Since then I haven't gotten any sign of life out of it, not even a sputter. Has fuel and spark but won't catch. Tried a little bit of starting fluid but nada. Double checked all the sensors but they're new and hooked up correctly?

Anybody have any suggestions?
I worry I will have the same problem when I put mine back in but could be timing, you say you have spark but if you used starter fluid and it won't ignite doesn't make much sense. Are you certain you have spark? Check your connections at the ignitor since you disconnected it. Have you checked for fault codes?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Registered SVX

Definitely have spark. Pulled the plugs just to check because I was thinking the same thing. I thought about a possible timing issue too, I just wanted to run it by the network to see if they had any ideas.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Definitely have spark. Pulled the plugs just to check because I was thinking the same thing. I thought about a possible timing issue too, I just wanted to run it by the network to see if they had any ideas.
Verified spark but not starting with starting fluid would seem there is a timing issue.... when you set the cam timing you used the NOTCHES on the cam gears, not the arrows right?? That one got me my first time.

Secondly, after installing the belt and releasing the tensioner pin, you rotated the crank a revolution or two and verified the marks all still lined up? It would just seem that maybe your timing is off a couple notches or more.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Registered SVX

I'm not the one that did the head gaskets or the timing. I shipped it to a local subie shop for that. I just did the pull and re-installation.

I'd say timing as well, but the only thing is that the few cars I've seen with the timing off still spit and sputter a bit. This thing is just turning over and over.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm not the one that did the head gaskets or the timing. I shipped it to a local subie shop for that. I just did the pull and re-installation.

I'd say timing as well, but the only thing is that the few cars I've seen with the timing off still spit and sputter a bit. This thing is just turning over and over.
Yeah it only takes a second or two of off-timing to flood the cylinders. When mine was a few teeth off on the pass. side, after sitting for a few hours it would sputter and almost start, then nothing, not even a bump. Then after another long wait, it would do the same thing.... bump for a sec then nothing. From what you describe, this is the very first thing I would check, TDC the engine and check BOTH cams for proper alignment.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Yeah it only takes a second or two of off-timing to flood the cylinders. When mine was a few teeth off on the pass. side, after sitting for a few hours it would sputter and almost start, then nothing, not even a bump. Then after another long wait, it would do the same thing.... bump for a sec then nothing. From what you describe, this is the very first thing I would check, TDC the engine and check BOTH cams for proper alignment.
Good info, ...tucking it into my brain housing group now...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 AM

Registered SVX

Update:

The timing covers are off it, and magically, the timing is dead on . So now I'm officially stumped. It's in the hands of somebody more capable than me now, I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long... turns out us svx wrecking teenagers aren't made of money
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

You checked it? Or the shop said they checked their own work and it was ok?

Unfortunately cranks/no-start can be a real PITA to diagnose..... id start by going over your engine inch by inch looking for an unplugged or broken harness or vacuum hose. 9 times out of 10, when something is wrong after a repair, you simply forgot or borked something during that repair.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 AM

Registered SVX

They pulled it apart an I looked at it. Double checked spark and fuel too.

They're going over it right now, so hopefully I'll know what it is by the end of the day.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:25 AM

Registered SVX

Ok, results are in. It somehow flooded itself. Changed the plugs and it fired and ran, but there were a couple messed up vacuum lines that were causing all this misery and an idle issue it had before.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ok, results are in. It somehow flooded itself. Changed the plugs and it fired and ran, but there were a couple messed up vacuum lines that were causing all this misery and an idle issue it had before.
Cool, glad you got it started. You did replace the lines this time around then yes? If you have a fat vacuum leak the ECU will dump more fuel into the cylinders to compensate for the "lean" mixture.... which can flood it and will foul the plugs.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Registered SVX

I'm not the one that found the split line, so I'm not sure where it is. I had an IAC issue before too that was causing issues as well.