Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Two questions

All right, so I haven't posted a thread in a while so bear with me:

I was listening to NPR's Car Talk the other day and someone called in and said that her car with like 125k miles was idling very poorly at cold and was missing under acceleration. They suggested that she bring her car to a shop equipped with a motorvac system. The motorvac system supposedly bypasses the fuel pump and basically runs a very rich detergent through the fuel rails and injectors to clean them out. My car is suffering from the same problem (missing, idles bad at cold..even warm too).

Would this be a worthwhile venture for me to find a place that has this system and have it done to my car? I just clicked over 189k miles. Maybe it's just me and having seen Shell commercials, but it seems like ever since I put that Shell gas in, the car runs just a little bit better. However, I could just be full of it.

Now, my other question: Whenever I turn the key to the on position, I hear the fuel pump come on. The fuel pump and lines seem to make an awful lot of gurgling noises for a little while until the system is pressurized. Is this a sign of a fuel pump saying goodbye? If so, could this be contributing to the fact that my car runs poorly?

Any help would be much appreciated.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Two questions

You could first use a very high quality COMPLETE fuel system cleaner (from a bottle), then replace the fuel filter, and see if your condition improves. If so, maybe its worth it.

I have noticed gurgling sounds from my pump as well but it has never affected the operation of my car. You can test the fuel pressure very easily.

If you have never done it, your engine seems like its a prime candidate for Seafoam, or removal and cleaning of the entire intake system, as our cars inhale and subsequently get gunked up with an ungodly amount of soot and grime, both thru the PCV system and the EGR. I screamed in horror when I saw mine

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Hey, I've been a "Car Talk" fan for years (but I don't remember the caller you mentioned). Seems to me the guys generally tend to suggest detergents or additives—if they do at all—as a shoulder-shrug "can't hurt" first step to troubleshooting. I personally believe that a car that's consistently idling poorly and missing has an electrical or mechanical problem that isn't likely to be helped by any sort of additive or cleaner.

I understand that the intake of an SVX can get pretty gunky and suppose that might impede performance ever-so-slightly, but I need someone to explain why this would cause a stumble or miss.

If my cars are typical, the fuel system gurgling you hear is normal.

dcb
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post

I understand that the intake of an SVX can get pretty gunky and suppose that might impede performance ever-so-slightly, but I need someone to explain why this would cause a stumble or miss.

dcb
My first thought would be the Idle Air control, the actuator that opens and closes to allow idle while the butterfly valve is closed. Gunk causes the actuator to not open or close properly, which will screw with idling. This same gunk will also coat intake and exhaust valves, causing them to not seat right, leading to compression leakage from the cylinder, which makes the engine idle rough due to misfire. Even slight misfiring screws with fuel trim, which will also make the car idle/run weird and substantially degrade performance.

I invite you to pull the small EGR temp sensor off and see whats in there. Even the big plastic intake tube gets really nasty as much of the PCV vapors are pulled directly into it (all those hoses attached suck in crankcase fumes and cylinder blow-by)..... which then coat our butterfly valves and the rest of the intake runners and attached components.

Many here have used the Seafoam with very positive results, it takes time to do it right but from what I have read the benefits are worth the effort.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 05-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

My fuel pump is doing the same thing. Gurgling and buzzing every so often but with no adverse effects. Couldn't hurt to replace it right?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Have you guys ever replaced the fuel filter?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:10 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Have you guys ever replaced the fuel filter?
I would say that the fuel filter has about 8000 miles.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I would say that the fuel filter has about 8000 miles.
I thought I remebered that. How does the strainer look like on the fuel pick up?