SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 PM

4EAT questions

Hi All,
I have a few very basic questions regarding the 4EAT trans in my '92 LSi:

1) Will a trans from any year SVX be compatible with my machine ?

2) Can a '92 trans be rebuilt to have all the benefits that the later years had without replacing too many parts ?

3) Would it be easier / simpler / better to start with a more recent core ?

4) When I find a core, how do I know what I am looking at ? Is there a cross-reference chart out there that states model #'s, production #'s, etc for a given year ?

5) What are considered "the best years" ?

6) How do I interpret the model # and production # on my SVX:
TZ102M1AA-KP and 329261 ?

Thanks,
Arno
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Re: 4EAT questions

Many if not all questions concerning trannys have been asked and answered, search for and you will find alot of info, then copy and past and have a database to use...............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. But, I've been there and done that. I must be going about it the wrong way, as I've tried searching with variety of words, strings, phrases, etc without sucess. If you are able extract any cross reference info please tell me how you did it.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM

O K if you searched and did not find I'll chime in with what I sort of know
1, I think any year svx will fit
2, ?? notsure
3, newer is better
4, ? don't know, sorry
5, I'll say 97
6, ? TZxxx tells the car it was used in, production # tells how new it is. ??
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I am new at this SVX stuff myself, right now I'm in the process of swapping to a 4.44 tranny and rearend and its taxing me brain, have a good day and keep checking back if the right people see your posting they will answer with the smart stuff, this board ROCKS!!.............................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZSVX View Post
Hi All,
I have a few very basic questions regarding the 4EAT trans in my '92 LSi: not to nitpick but in 92, the top end model was an LS-L or the lower one was an LS

1) Will a trans from any year SVX be compatible with my machine ?
yes, as long as it is not from a front wheel drive SVX
2) Can a '92 trans be rebuilt to have all the benefits that the later years had without replacing too many parts ?

3) Would it be easier / simpler / better to start with a more recent core ?
one of the best options at benefits to cost ratio is with a 4.44 swap
4) When I find a core, how do I know what I am looking at ? Is there a cross-reference chart out there that states model #'s, production #'s, etc for a given year ?
post up the numbers on the unit and people here will be able to help
5) What are considered "the best years" ?
a major improvement was made in the 94 boxes and then slight changes after that before Subaru discontinued the Phase1 EAT mid year 98 in all Subies
6) How do I interpret the model # and production # on my SVX:
TZ102M1AA-KP and 329261 ?
the TZ... is the one that identifies the transmission on the case
Thanks,
Arno
Answers above, and if you want info on a 4.44 swap, I can help you out or contact SVXfiles. Keep in mind a rebuild of a unit is going to cost you around $2000 plus install costs. Since you're in the Chicago area (Cook county) the costs could be even higher. Also, longassname here on the forum sells partial rebuilds at about $1000 plus $750 core charge and the shipping costs come out of the core charge.

Are you looking at doing the removal and install yourself or having a shop do everything?

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks for your replies Gentlemen ! They are greatly appreciated.

A lot has been written about the 4.44 swap, and I think I've read up on most of it. No doubt the improvement in acceleration makes for a great launch off the line. Since most of my driving is local this could be a good way to go, although I've got no complaints with the stock gears. Was thinking about possibly having this done on my machine, but am hesitant to take the leap since I've never had the opportunity to drive one so equipped. Am currently leaning towards staying stock, but going with a '95 or newer unit and having it rebuilt and then put in by my dealer. However, I'm willing to listen to any reasonable argument otherwise.

I'm grateful for the info I've received on this so far. Also, thanks for the offer to help out with info on the swap. I will be asking more questions in the future. BTW, I did ask SVXfiles for his advice but I never really did get an answer.

Thanks,
Arno
Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

The original owner of my car swaped out the trans with another SVX trans, it failed. I had it rebuilt and it failed. I recently had it swaped with a 4.44 provided by Budfreak and it's great. Too early to give any additional info, but I personally would keep away from stock. Only my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Honestly a 4.44 done up by svxfiles would be an amazing performance mod for your SVX. It's something I plan to do and something he has on his own SVX. Recently I had the pleasure of driving one myself and honestly it makes one hell of a difference. Get one from 1998 and some just bolt right in. I don't think I'll go manual so 4.44 is the only way for me. Consider it..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-03-2010, 06:08 AM

There are many accounts here of repeat/multiple stock transmission failures. Just to offer the flip side, the transmission in my silver SVX was replaced in the late 90s and has logged over 105,000 miles. I suspect most stock transmission replacements performed by competent mechanics using quality goods are successful, and that most of these go unreported.

dcb