How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX
Help, Power Door Locks Not Working

So I recently bought a 92 svx, unfortunately the power door locks did not work when I got it.
Well it is been 3 weeks, and it has already become annoying to reach across the car…

Here are the symptoms:
Passenger side door will not mirror driver’s door lock. Not from inside or outside using the key.
It acts just like manual locks. I hear no clicks or anything trying to make the passenger side lock move.
I have a security button on my dash, but I don’t think the security is hooked up, nothing happens when I push the button on the dash. Previous owner said it never worked, he even bought a remote for it to try and get it working but it didn’t. I have the remote now, and have the same problem, it is like it is not hooked up. So far as I know they don’t work by pushing the remote button either.

There is a red power wire coming off my positive battery terminal that has been cut and taped off. The wire gauge is too small for an amplifier, guessing to be about a 14 gauge wire, possibly from an aftermarket alarm? If it did have an aftermarket alarm in it, is it possible they messed up the power locks when removing it?

Now as far as the security system goes, do I fix it, or go aftermarket?
If I go aftermarket, do I still need to replace the stock relays, or will the aftermarket alarm have its own relays? How does it normally work, do they just tap into the stock relays?
Does the driver’s door have a relay in it too? I don’t have any switch for the door locks.
Does the driver door auto unlock with the stock alarm? Or do you still need to use the key after you unarm it?

When I get done I want is an alarm with keyless entry.
I want to hit the button on my keychain and both doors unlock.
So any advice in what is best and/or cheapest way of achieving that goal would be much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Loyal Subie-ist

Send a message via MSN to SubyLuver
Re: Help, Power Door Locks Not Working

I will try to help from my existing situation....

I do aftermarket installations so my knowledge in working the system helped out.

I didnt bother messing with getting the factory system up and running, I went to an aftermarket (Vyper, Python, etc) and was able to find the lock and unlock wires on driver and pass kick panels. I dont remember the wire colors but if you are planning on doing it yourself then I assume you have the proper references. It did require wiring in a couple relays however, I dont remember if it was a 5-wire system or just positive polarity triggered.

Hope this helps a little, it was over 3 years ago I did this so I am a lil rusty on it but I can check when I get some time. MSG me if you need any more details, I can come up with wire colors and etc when its daylight out LOL.
(To-do list Koni Struts & Springs lacking funds)
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Registered SVX

Well so far I found this wire diagram.

I'm still deciding whether or not to just try and do the alarm myself. How many wires we talking on a normal alarm with keyless entry?

Stereo install I can no problem, alarms not tried to do one yet, always had that done by a shop.

So your saying the wires for the doors should be in the kick panels?

I also found this pic:

But i still have no idea where the relays for the door locks are, i am assuming that the relays would be inline with the actuators, if i can find them.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The relays are in the "door lock timer" module. The wires going to the lock/unlock switch (near the gearshift lever on 94-up) and the security module are all low-current control lines (~50mA).

The security module contains the wireless receiver. If your module is missing or defective, a keyfob transmitter will never work. The fact that you're not seeing the red Security light turn on/off when you push the button on the dash suggests that your module is bad or missing.

Even without the module, your passenger door is supposed to be locking and unlocking slaved off the driver's door. Since that's not happening, you have more problems than just the security module -- either the door lock timer, wiring, or (most likely, due to corrosion from water) contacts in either of the lock actuators in the doors.

I recommend first looking to see if you have a security module. You'll need to remove the glove box. There are threads that describe the procedure (lots of screws to remove). Search.

With the module unplugged, connect each of the pins for Lock and Unlock to ground and see if at least one of the doors' actuators works.

If not, then you'll need to open up the doors and dissect the actuators.

Once you get that sorted out, upgrading to an aftermarket alarm is probably the better way to go. The OEM modules are prone to die. Just not worth the cost IMO.

All of the signals you need are available on the security module harness. You can connect your new alarm there (the "brain" can be somewhere else under your dash, although the OEM location is fairly secure since it's so hard to access). See this thread:
After market alarm install document
I have a connector that plugs into the factory harness. E-mail me for more info.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Actually, the very first thing to check (with an ohm meter, not just visually) is whether fuse #13 is good.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM

Registered SVX

Ok will check fuse 13. It did not appear blown visually.
Guess I have to get a meter on it. what should it read if operating normally?

I will then move onto check and see if the door lock timer is even wired.

Then move on to opening the door panels and checking connections and then actuators.

If I get the door locks working, then I will move onto installing an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry.

I am betting that this car had an aftermarket alarm in it. Also willing to bet they went in, cut up the original plug, installed the brain in same location as the stock alarm. Then when they sold the car, they went in, took the alarm out, removed the door relays, and didn't bother to hook up any of the wires, making the power locks not work.

Hope it is nice out today. I am going to rip apart the car and find out whats going on.

On another note. My svx came with a "small car shift kit" in it. Every now and then I get the 16 blinking power light. I hear this shift kit can cause this. Should I just rip it out and put in the normal resistor and get the TCU Rom chip from ECU tune?? Or buy a different shift kit resistor? Or just switch which one of the green wires it is tied into (I read there are 2 green wires and one of them can cause the light blinking).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Ok will check fuse 13. It did not appear blown visually.
Guess I have to get a meter on it. what should it read if operating normally?
I suggest removing the fuse and measuring continuity across it. Should read almost zero ohms.

Quote:
I am betting that this car had an aftermarket alarm in it. Also willing to bet they went in, cut up the original plug, installed the brain in same location as the stock alarm. Then when they sold the car, they went in, took the alarm out, removed the door relays, and didn't bother to hook up any of the wires, making the power locks not work.
Normally, someone installing an aftermarket alarm system should not need to destroy the door lock wiring. They should have just tapped into the lock and unlock wires (but otherwise left things connected as they were before). They definitely should not have needed to mess with the door lock timer.

As I said, it's much more likely that the switch contacts in the door actuators have corroded. There's at least one thread on here where someone found that in their SVX.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-02-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 AM

Registered SVX

In that case ill take off the doors and check for corrosion before I disassemble the glove box.

thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

I'd still start with the security module -- you can test the lock/unlock wires, and might find that one of the door actuators still works. Then you'd have one less door to open up.

Besides, you said you wanted to replace the security module anyway
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 AM

Registered SVX

Well I talked to a friend of mine and he said he did his alarm and as long as I got the color coded pinout for the car that he can do the install.
Anyone got security system wire diagram?

I am going to wait for my amplifier I won on ebay to get here before I proceed with this project. I am replacing all the speakers in the car, so I have decided to do the stereo, alarm, and door locks all at the same time, why rip it open 3 times.