Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I am a HAL 9000 Computer...

Send a message via AIM to USSEnterprise
I think I'm Screwed!

I'm getting to a point where I almost want to cry, because I am realizing quickly how screwed I am

I sold my old car, a Volvo 850, a month ago. I got $900 for it.
I took that money, and $1100 that I had, and bought the SVX a couple days ago.
As I am driving the SVX home from the person I bought it AS IS from, we notice tranny problems.
The AC is also not blowing cold. We thought this was because of a leaky acumulator, but is actually due to faulty climate control electronics, as the freon is at normal pressure.
And, not that it really matters, the driver side seatbelt is broken, the front door speakers are missing, sometimes the key cylinder sticks, and it needs a starter solenoid.

Early today, after driving for a bit, I see smoke coming from the engine bay.

Five minutes ago, I try to start the car, and it stalls within 5 seconds. Repeated a few times to the same result

I was going to use this car to get to/from college, which starts on the 3rd. I can't rely on the fact that my parents cars will always be there for me to use. I have no more money, and with moth the engine and transmission problems, I couldn't hope to get more than a few hundred bucks for the SVX.

I love the car, but I really can't deal with all this. And if I sell the car, I'm still screwed.

Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.

Joe Giliberti
1992 SVX LS
Formerly 1995 Volvo 854t
Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: I think I'm Screwed!

Start with what's important... check the oil level of the engine first.
See if the engine is leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold (smoke)
Check if any of the spark plugs is loose or if the engine filter is clogged... check for something loose between the filter and the intake manifold (clip, pipe, etc....)

Sorry for all your troubles Joe, the interior/AC problems are virtually not that important, you would only be stuck with tranny issues (good status for a future manual swap)

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Joe,

Your going to college and you bought a car "as is"? SVX's are sweet cars, but the simple fact that you didn't do your "HOMEWORK" on the condition of the car is your fault. Take advantage of your parents offer, and save some money and fix the car. If you can get 1! year of "thanks mom or dad" do it. These cars are not cheap, but scarce. Also keep in touch with this web site as there is alot of knowledge here to help you out. Just reading other posts, I've learned alot. Look before you leap. Tough Love.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

As has been said, not cheap vehicles. However you can find ways around a lot of issues. Not short cuts, but ways of fixing things without going nuts on expense. I'm not much of a mechanic, however since being on the site, I've started working on my own(and I'm a current college student as well) with great success from the awesome knowledge that's on here. You won't be able to go buy as much beer as your fellow peers, but hey, you'll have that sexy car to make up for all the foggy blurred nights you won't have.

It's not really an ideal vehicle for college, but you can make it work. Get out that wrench and screwdriver =)
1991 Non-Turbo MR2 214,xxx, replaced engine at 190,xxx

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny...
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterprise View Post
As I am driving the SVX home from the person I bought it AS IS from, we notice tranny problems.
Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.
It would be interesting to know if you bought this from an individual or someone that deals in them even if not a true dealer. That person had to know the defects and apparently did not divulge any of them.

If the person sells these you might publish who they are to keep anyone else from here getting screwed.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I am a HAL 9000 Computer...

Send a message via AIM to USSEnterprise

I don't know if he makes a routine of this, but the car was purchased from someone a dealer in Vineland, NJ about seven years ago by the previous owner.

I had no choice but to buy a car AS IS. For what I would be able to afford, all I was able to find were AS IS cars.

Joe Giliberti
1992 SVX LS
Formerly 1995 Volvo 854t
Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Let me ask you this. Did you ask if there were any known problems with the car before you bought it. If the answer is yes and they lied you might be able to pursue something against them. Don't just give up getting a lemon is not fun. Had that with a acura once.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

We will have a look at it on Saturday.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterprise View Post
Most economical remedy would probably be a junkyard transmission from some other model Subaru. Search here to see what will bolt-up. You'll also need to change the rear gear. I'd seek a diagnosis from a qualified mechanic before doing anything.

Quote:
The AC is also not blowing cold. We thought this was because of a leaky acumulator, but is actually due to faulty climate control electronics, as the freon is at normal pressure.
I'd start by getting a used climate control module off eBay.

Quote:
Early today, after driving for a bit, I see smoke coming from the engine bay.
Most likely an engine oil, transmission or power steering fluid leak getting onto the exhaust. If you're lucky it could be something as simple as a loose clamp or fitting.

Quote:
Five minutes ago, I try to start the car, and it stalls within 5 seconds. Repeated a few times to the same result
See how to check engine codes in the how-to documents.

Quote:
I have no more money, and with moth the engine and transmission problems, I couldn't hope to get more than a few hundred bucks for the SVX.
Your best bet will probably be to hunker down with the SVX and do what you have to do to make it road-worthy. If you scrap the SVX and buy some unknown something for one or two grand you're liable to be right back in the same situation. Buying any old used car is a crap shoot, especially when you just plunk down your dough and head for the horizon. No matter what you drive, it's gonna take money to acquire and keep on the road.

dcb
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I just had a similar experience but with a happier ending. I bought a '92 SVX as is on Ebay. I got it really cheap. The owner had stated there were a few issues. Leaking power steering fluid. slight coolant leak and a small amount of damage from a fender bender.
When I started to drive it home, the rad blew after 60 miles. I got it home and found the steering had leaked more than a quart in 300 miles, it was leaking gas and the rear seal of the newly rebuilt transmission was leaking a lot. I contacted the owner and he refunded almost half my money and agreed to let me get the tranmission fixed under warranty before we changed over the ownership. He had not driven the car in 5-6 months and was unaware of the additional problems.

There are still some honest, upstanding people out there.

The gas leak was just a hose and so was the power steering leak. With the money I saved on repairs I'll be able to get the collision damage repaired.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: