Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM

engine swap barely runs

Hey everyone its been a few years since i've been on here and the suby has been sitting. But i just recently got a 91xxx mile engine and installed it into the car. The problem is it barely runs. And up until last night didnt run at all. I checked and re-did timing just to be sure it was ok. Changed all the plugs. Swapped out the cam, and both crank sensors, and the water temp sensor at the back of the engine on the drivers side. I get fuel and spark but it would not fire just crank. Went out and got some ether(starting fluid) sprayed into the intake and it almost immediately fired over. Since the starting fluid has been used it will fire and run really rough like its on 4cyls. Do you think the injectors are just completely clogged? I cant think of anything else because its had fuel and spark this entire time and it never fired once until the ether was used. If you all have any suggestions im all ears. I appreciate the help in advance.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Graphic Artist

Injectors, or a wireing/computer related issue.

Check your ground strap on the pass side on the rear of the engine, that has to be attached. Is it throwing a code from the brief time that it did run?

Check and possibly swap out the red power relay under the dashboard, mounted to the same bracket as the ECU/TCU. Check your wiring harness, especially where it plugs at the firewall, and at the y that joins the injector control wires to the rest of the harness.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 AM

couple more things

Just to check and make sure im correct. Long as the timing was dead on as far as the alignment marks on the pulleys and belt when installed and the tensioner was pushed all the way left the timing is good right? Cause when you turn the crank over till the marks come around the marks still line up on the pulleys just not on the belt. Before i go putting the radiator and everything back in wanted to make sure im correct in my thinking. Also when taking the old exhaust off the bolt snapped on one of the manifolds so there is a bolt missing would this create enough of a leak for the engine to be running the way it is? There is a strong smell of unburnt fuel in the garage when running the vehicle and it slow to rev like its only firing on 4 or 5 cyls. Im going to go pull injectors one by one to see if any of them dont make the vehicle stall.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM

ok im heading out there now to check the injectors and i;ll look into that relay. Thats the relay for the fuel pump correct? I think i remember replacing that when i swapped the five speed over. I'll go pull that ground off and clean up the contacts as i remember that being a problem on the last engine cause i forgot to put it on so its worht a shot. The car runs now and wont die seems like its a little better but still no codes whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Just started it up and let it idle. Its only running on three cylinders. The entire drivers side bank of injectors are not firing. I pulled all three injectors on the drivers side and not one made any difference in idle. Soon as i pulled the passenger side one it died. All connections look ok gonna pull them apart and hit em with electrical cleaner but im not sure if this is the real problem seems like for all of them to be out maybe its a computer thing?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
There is a separate power feed for each "bank" of coils. Another member of the network is having the same issue. Try dropping a PM to TOMSSVX for thoughts on how to fix the problem.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 AM

alright guys ended up fixing it. Started the vehicle up and let it idle. Had all injectors plugged in and started at the back of the drivers side. Tapped on the injector while running and noticed it pick up some rpms. Pulled the plug dropped back down. Did the same for the remaining two injectors but that didnt help break the crap loose. So i pulled two injectors from the spare engine and swapped them out and she is running on all cylinders now. So im putting the radiator back in and hooking it back up and then shes gonna idle in the drive for 10-15mins to make sure its good then for the test drive.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
That's good news...congrats. I finally got my 92, I got from Knoxville, cranked up this weekend. It's been sitting for over 7 years . I drained all the gas, cleaned the tank and replaced the fuel pump, not to mention repaired many wires that were chewed up by mice.

Mine is missing on the entire Passenger side! After seeing your post, I'm convinced it's clogged injectors. the gas was really really really bad. I'll keep you guys posted...

Marc
Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Well I was so excited to try this I went home at lunch and swapped in a known good fuel rail with the injectors. I noticed the vacuum line attached to the rail had been disconnected. I reattached it. I've noticed a couple other vacuum issues that will require removing the intake. Anyway, I did'nt really get a chance to see if it helped because fuel was pooring out the back side of the new rail! It was all I could do to run over and kill the ignition before my garage went up in flames! would'nt that suck! So, I think I may swap the 94 engine in and be done with it. I'm tired of working on this thing.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Timing Timing Timing

Well I went down the list ...GAS, spark, Fuel, and Air then remmebered I had forgotten timing. DAMN TIMING. Why do people have such a hard time putting a subaru in time. the passenger Cam must have been off but 15 or 20 teeth.

Anyway she's back on the road. Tranny has some noise issues but I guess I'll sort that out sooner or later.