Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM

92 SVX 5 speed conversion

Hey everyone my name is jesse, I was refered here from craigslist. Just so everyone knows I own a 92 SVX greyish silverish and blueish kinda color with only 69k miles thats right 69,000 miles :P lol. anyhow I was wanting to know if any of yalls know of a place or someone that can do the 5 speed conversion for less that $4000. found one place that does it in tacoma but they want 4000 for it and that is alot in my book. I want the new tranny to be strong for my future mods to the car. Im about to start drivng truck and will be making some good money, so I will be spending alot on my car. Im gonna do the whole 9 yards to it. So if yalls know of anything please let me know. anyhow even if you dont know of a place just say hi so I can get to know you, im gonna be spending a bit of time on here so I want to get to know people a bit. o yeah I live in Longview so the closer the shop is the better. just to let yalls know there is nothing wrong with my tranny lol I just want a 5 speed lol autos suck
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
You're in the NW - look up Earl, username "Ensteele". Im pretty sure he'll do it. No clue on price though, I know doing it yourself you can do it for less than half that

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I don't do that kind of work, but I can refer you to someone.

Do not go to the place in Tacoma! If you have any questions, please PM or email me. Good luck with the project.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM

yeah i second what earl says. dont go to the place in tacoma. i have heard some horror stories from other svx owners who have takin their cars there.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock_Svx_owner View Post
lol autos suck
I love my auto...of course all my cars before where manual...just something about driving and eating at the same time...LOL

Anyway, Welcome to the site! It was I who emailed you after I saw your question on Craigslist. Hope you find everything your looking for, and good luck!

Curious, what sort of mods are you looking to do. From you ad it sounded like alot. We've got alot of guys on this site who are really knowledgable on what will and what wont help you out performance wise. Make sure to check out the Mod section, you can probably answer alot of your Q's right there
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
Representing Vancouver, WASHINGTON! woot!
My Locker
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Im gonna do alot of stuff to it. I wanna make it at leaste 10s. I know its gonna cost a bundle but I wont mind lol. heres a small list of things I want to do. 1: 5 speed (DUH), 2: toss some fowmasters on it 3: Complete build on the engine upgrading the injectors to run methonol, 4: TWIN TURBO Screw single when you can have 2. 5: somtime ecu tweak, 6: Brakes before any engine mod lol thats just a bit of what I want to do. I also want to make it look good diff. paint rims tinted windows, maybe a small spoiler. Let me be the first to say I hate ricers but I love my car lol. I love all american made muscle. anyways thats just a few things, so ill talk to you later. o and thanks for the info about tacoma shop.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Yeah definitely head over to Mod Mania and read up. There are guys back east who have been chasing quarter miles times for years and done a ton of R&D. A LOT of money has been spent on a lot of different methods so there's a lot to learn there before thinking about spending your own.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM

Can one of you guys tell me the pros vs cons for cable vs hydrolic clutch. I got a email for it and I do not know the perks of either of them.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The Cable will be cheaper, and easier to install....and gives you a more "Connected" feel with the drivetrain (IMHO)
The WRX style hydralic offers more clamping force with the set up they use (not really because of it being hydralic, but due to the style pressure plate they require)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock_Svx_owner View Post
Im gonna do alot of stuff to it. I wanna make it at leaste 10s. I know its gonna cost a bundle but I wont mind lol.
10"s? you mean 1/8 mile right. Seriously though, a 10 sec 1/4 mile SVX is aiming a bit high. The guys MacGuyver mentioned are extremely knowledgable from years of experience...and just breaking into the 13s is an accomplishment that took loads of research and $$$. Supercharged, turbocharged, NOS...its all been done. Definately take the time to read up. You sound very new to the car and taking the time to actually get your "homework" done will save you a load of time and money. Wether or not $$$ is an issue is for you to decide, of course, but TomSVX has invested probably as much as anybody, and is as knowledgable as anyone, and he is in the 13.9 range. 12 secs...Sure. 11 secs, maybe...

Just my 2 cents...but if your SVX is as "cherry" as you mentioned in your other thread...and money is flowing like water, you might look at picking up a cheap SVX with a messed up transmission (since your gonna swap it anyway). Any SVX you hope to make into a "drag car" is gonna need so much weight removed...that tearing up a nice one may not be the best course of action.

Good, luck and keep us posted

PS- You ever come down to PIR on Drag Nights?
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker
Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If you want 10's stick with a built auto... Only a FULLY built dog box is gonna handle enough power to handle 10's in an SVX and that won't last long either. A fully built auto (2speed bomb proof) is gonna get you there faster. Twin turbos on methanol?? Running 10's?? Might as well just get 6 5 gallon buckets over each cylinder to pour out within 10 seconds...

While the goal is admirable, feasability under $50k is out of reality... Have you looked anywhere for engine components that will handle 900+HP?? Not to mention block, head fastener, head modifications... With a river of money, its still gonna be tough

Tom
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

welcome to the Na Sayer boards These rare cars have tons of potential but few: after market parts/ people active in R&D/ people willing to mod, most of us spend the majority of time/money repairing to keep them on the road. keep us posted as you climb to your goal please.(take lots of pics)
Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 AM

What I ment by 10s is I will be slowly putting alot of money in it and by the time I have built the car there should be some people or mods that can help my 10 sec 1/4 mile. I know it is alot to say but I figure that evry time I get the money I will dump it in the car, such as engine build, turbo/supercharger, injectors, methanol, ect... I think it would fairly easy to get 13s cause the car already (stock) does what low 15s? and Shadabob thx for the idea of buying a diff car, I wasnt thinking about the idea of ripping out all the intirior. I think I will try and find a "crappy" car to build instead of this one so I can baby this one. Maybe aiming for 10s in really high but its just a goal. I have owned my scx for about 7 months now but am just starting to think of modding it. I was always under the impression that there are practicly no mods for this car do to the scarcity of the car. anyways I thank you all for your comments about the car it has provided me with valuable info that will give me a good idea. o and as for the twin turbo I was purposly saying that because I thought it sounded good lol.

P.S. I said 10s because I use to own a talon and saw john sheppard's talon (worlds fastest talon) and my mouth just droped. granted he has a diff. type of car but that was when I decided I wanted a car that is fast. For all of yalls that dont know who john sheppard is goto utube and check out his DSM (8 sec 1/4 mile time).

Last edited by Stock_Svx_owner; 04-25-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: forgot somthin
Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Liv'n the hobo life

Yeah, that is one drawback...not much of an aftermarket, but thanks to the hard work of alot of members here, new options are opening up every day. Really the WRX was the dawning of a massive Subaru aftermarket over here. Man, I remember how bad I wanted to mod my XTs...lol, lets see: Air filter? check. Muffler? check...well looks like I'm done

I would think the biggest obsticle of the twin turbo is gonna be the engine prep (which is do able) and a management system. I believe all these set ups pretty much have to have a stand alone. ECU tune does have stage 2chips that work with the supercharger/ single turbo set ups...I believe. Also, a stage 1 chip for N/A which I've heard ALOT of great things about.

Its not to uncommon to find a SVX for under 2k with trans issues. Ahh, Craiglist...how did I live without ye?

Good luck with the car! Can't wait to see it and hopefully meet you at one of our club gatherings. September will be our Portland/ Vancouver area drive. We've got big things in the works!!
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
My Locker
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM

I will definitly go to the gathering. by then I should have the car repainted and a couple minor mods. I think the very very first thing is brakes because im tired of my rims getting all dirty from the crappy brakes.

I think what I would really like to do is put on single turbo with a HUGE intercooler system, and not twin turbo. Twin turbo sounds way to hard to do on a engine that wasnt built for any boost lol. There was one big thing I was wondering... I was looking in od mania and saw a thread about methanol and was wondering if you can have a setup just like n0s but spray meth. w/ a push of a button instead of n0s. I have always been against n0s because it does to much ware and tare on the engine to fast. I dont want to ever really run constant meth. (even tho the factory book says you can do a 5% mix of meth), so I would rather run it on spray.

Anyways I will definitly meet everyone at the portland/vancover meet, just so I can see all the SVX's in one place lol.