How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Kamaleon

Angry CrankShaft pulley

Well.. It happened... while driving on highway battery light came on, AC and Power stearing stop working...

I stoped to take a look at it, the alternator belt was off. 'luckilly' there was a Goddyears shop near by and asked them to put the belt back on... turns out that the actuap part of the pulley that grips the belt came completely off and was underneath the engine

They 'obviously' recomended not driving the car any further and that the were going to call on monday to find out what a new one from the dealer cost.

i dont have much time to research for an alternative one due to:
1. Geting married in 13 hours
2. SVX is my travel car for honeymoon
3. i need the car back no later than next wensday. (HM begins)

any help, suggestions will be greatly appreaciated, got to make a decision on choice of pulley in 30 hours..

By the way... what is the number of hours that they need to remove/install that crankshaft pulley??
Old 08-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Well you have at least a few options:

1. OEM - $148.13 according to subaruparts.com
2. used - $??? availability - ???
3. Ovidiu STAN's offer for an underdrive pulley for $110

Looks like you've got some quick decisions to make! Hope it all works out.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:15 AM
Kamaleon

A million thanks Earthworm..

Can the OEM and Ovidiu STAN's be found locally?? (Atlanta, Ga)

OviduStan is same quality as OEM? I searched last night about it and found some people writting about 'performance' pulleys can this be foudn locally also?

Im guessing that the subby dealer's pulley will be higher than $149 right?!

Old 08-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Well Ovidiu STAN is looking for some interest before he goes ahead and gets some made so time is a factor there. (thread)

I'm not sure about local prices. You could use a shop search on this site to see who's available. You can use the price from subaruparts.com as a guide to help you get the best price possible. I do that whenever I get parts.

(sometimes I even get parts cheaper than them)
Old 08-18-2002, 12:12 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Heh, yep this is exactly what happened to me, and about 3 other people locally that I have met. The rubberized section of the harmonic balancer decides it doesn't want to hold together any more and breaks apart. Mine did this when it happened:

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com/car/how...y/pulley10.jpg

Cost me about $90 for that replacement cover on the bottom.

I went and bought a Unorthodox racing pulley to replace mine. At the time, the pulley was going to cost me about $170 locally, but UO had them on sale. I got it delivered to my door next day air for $108.

So far I've been happy with it. It does rev quicker, noticible when you sit back in a car without one. However overall speed isn't all that much improved. You will notice however, that your accessories obviously spin slower than usual. This results in a sluggish dry steer, and not as good AC sitting at a stop light. If I had my choice I would still make the same choice, due to the price. However if they were equal in price, I would have bought the OEM.

- Ryan

Btw, if you feel handy I wrote up a how-to on how to remove/replace it on my website:

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com

Just go under Sunfire/SVX then SVX how-to's.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-18-2002, 07:23 PM

Registered SVX
Re: CrankShaft pulley

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaleon
Well.. It happened... while driving on highway battery light came on, AC and Power stearing stop working...

I stoped to take a look at it, the alternator belt was off. 'luckilly' there was a Goddyears shop near by and asked them to put the belt back on... turns out that the actuap part of the pulley that grips the belt came completely off and was underneath the engine

They 'obviously' recomended not driving the car any further and that the were going to call on monday to find out what a new one from the dealer cost.

i dont have much time to research for an alternative one due to:
1. Geting married in 13 hours
2. SVX is my travel car for honeymoon
3. i need the car back no later than next wensday. (HM begins)

any help, suggestions will be greatly appreaciated, got to make a decision on choice of pulley in 30 hours..

By the way... what is the number of hours that they need to remove/install that crankshaft pulley??
My stock pulley is in the garage. It has 80,000
on it. Let me know if you want it. $20 + your choice of shipping.

David
Old 08-19-2002, 10:49 PM
Kamaleon

dromano thanks for the offer..if i had tiem and done it my self i would have taken it...

I ended up ordering a new OEM and will be ready tomorrrow...
total repair cost $340 -> $190 part + 2 hours of labor... they let me keep the car inside their shop over the weekend
Old 08-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Kamaleon

Thumbs up

nvrmore100 ill keep in mind ur site in case i ever need to do any of those mods

thank u... thank u..