How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-03-2004, 01:52 AM
TonyShaleUK

Shift linkage adjustment problems

This is the long running saga on the adjustment of the shifter - since last September or so. Shan't bore you with the background, but I now have my original gbox reconditioned in my car. The mechanic says that he has put back the original shift linkage and cable (I had a spare gbox put in for sometime when this all started). Even following the proper adjustment routine, the shifter will not move into Park. When forced into the P position, reverse is still engaged.

This is driving me nuts!! Is it a case of fitting a new cable?

Help, please, before I turn into a gibbering wreck.....
Old 03-03-2004, 02:16 AM
TonyShaleUK

And now I can't find the parts drawings on Subaruparts.com.

Or am I already that gibbering wreck?!!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Green1995SVX

A friend of mine is having EXACTLY the same problem with his svx. He even bought a new shift cable and the problem cant be cured. He was recently told to replace the shifter itself. We'll see how that goes.

Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Phil & Belha

Hi Tony,

As none of the experts have chipped in, I'll take a crack at it.

I've never seen the mechanism, but I had a look in the service manual for you. I'll scan the pages for you if you need them. It doesn't appear to be rocket science - unless I'm missing something. I can't imagine that you would need a new cable unless you damaged the old one.

I suggest the following method:

If you disconnect the cable, can you move the selector at the gearbox end into all of the 7 positions? This should tell you if something in the gearbox is causing the problem.

With the cable disconnected, can you move the gear lever into all 7 positions? This should tell you if the lever itself is causing the problem.

If the answer to those questions is yes, then it's a matter of adjusting the cable until the position of the lever agrees with the position of the selector at the other end. If the cable appears to be too long or too short then perhaps it is not routed correctly.

Let me know if you want some scans, but I don't know how helpful they'll be. Good Luck.

Phil.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:41 AM
TonyShaleUK

The tranny has just been rebuilt and I have 2 shifter mechanisms and 2 cables. The original setup with this gbox before rebuild worked fine. Now, with the same shifter and cable, I have the problem. No combination of parts seems to work!

Phil you're right that it shouldn't be rocket science, but I'm at my wits end with this. Have gone thro the process as you suggested already - all ok. I also have the correct setting procedure and that doesn't work either! I had a spare box in before and that had exactly the same problem.

Oh well, it'll have to wait for the nice weather when I can be bothered to play!