Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Buying a new (or nearly new) legacy - any advice?

So my dad is looking for a new car, thinking first choice is probably a new or almost new legacy, wondering if anyone had advice on that. My dad's getting older, wants a reliable car that's not too difficult to get in n out of, he kinda hates computers n technology, not a car guy (I'm surprised he can pump his own gas). Not sure what other cars he should look at, I'm partial to Subaru of course. Budget is 20 to 30k, don't want anything more than 3yrs old.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Buying a new (or nearly new) legacy - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycone View Post
So my dad is looking for a new car, thinking first choice is probably a new or almost new legacy, wondering if anyone had advice on that. My dad's getting older, wants a reliable car that's not too difficult to get in n out of, he kinda hates computers n technology, not a car guy (I'm surprised he can pump his own gas). Not sure what other cars he should look at, I'm partial to Subaru of course. Budget is 20 to 30k, don't want anything more than 3yrs old.
I would look at them, test drove a few I actually was pretty impressed by the ride. For under 30k you can get the Limited (Leather, cold weather package etc. even nav if you wanted but not the 3.6R). I assume you do not need/want the 3.6 (although it was fun). If you are set on the 3.6R you might find a used one under 30k.

ultimately going to test drive is the only way to find out.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 PM

Registered SVX

I hate my 2011 legacy base model 6 speed manual.
I got it on a lease for $189/mo and cannot wait to turn it in..

It feels big, heavy, and slow, but the steering is crisp, the steering wheel wants to toss the car around like it is an impreza, but it is not an impreza, it weights too much and is to tall and has to much roll, it is the only subaru I have ever driven that felt like I could flip it on a hard corner..

If it is windy at all it gets blown all over the highway, if your passing semi trucks at 70mph, the draft will push you, it is borderline scary when it is raining..

My mother has a 2010 premium with the CVT and paddle shifters, seems to deliver the power to the wheels differently, it feels smoother, the steering feels a little slower, they are like driving 2 different cars.
But that is also a sail on the highway...

If he is going to buy one, make sure he takes on the highway and gets passed and passes a semi trailer, or that it is windy out.

Stock tires are so bad in the rain.. I found myself white knuckled on the steering wheel just going 65 on the highway, car just feels out of control and dangerous to drive in a windy rain thunderstorm..

The upside is that it is huge on the inside, seats 4 people very comfortably, spent 12 hours strait in it doing drives back and forth to TN 4 times in the last 6 months.

If the weather is good, it is a comfortable effortless drive in the legacy.
If it is raining and windy and your on 81 coming down the mountains around Wilkes-Barre, I seriously thought we were going to die a couple times going 40mph getting blown around by the semi trailors buzzing us at 70mph...

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 06-21-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
I hate my 2011 legacy base model 6 speed manual.
I got it on a lease for $189/mo and cannot wait to turn it in..

It feels big, heavy, and slow, but the steering is crisp, the steering wheel wants to toss the car around like it is an impreza, but it is not an impreza, it weights too much and is to tall and has to much roll, it is the only subaru I have ever driven that felt like I could flip it on a hard corner..

If it is windy at all it gets blown all over the highway, if your passing semi trucks at 70mph, the draft will push you, it is borderline scary when it is raining..

My mother has a 2010 premium with the CVT and paddle shifters, seems to deliver the power to the wheels differently, it feels smoother, the steering feels a little slower, they are like driving 2 different cars.
But that is also a sail on the highway...

If he is going to buy one, make sure he takes on the highway and gets passed and passes a semi trailer, or that it is windy out.

Stock tires are so bad in the rain.. I found myself white knuckled on the steering wheel just going 65 on the highway, car just feels out of control and dangerous to drive in a windy rain thunderstorm..

The upside is that it is huge on the inside, seats 4 people very comfortably, spent 12 hours strait in it doing drives back and forth to TN 4 times in the last 6 months.

If the weather is good, it is a comfortable effortless drive in the legacy.
If it is raining and windy and your on 81 coming down the mountains around Wilkes-Barre, I seriously thought we were going to die a couple times going 40mph getting blown around by the semi trailors buzzing us at 70mph...
We've had a 2010 and now have a 2012 OB limited. My dad also had a 2010 and is now in a 2013. All of them are CVTs.

For less than $100 and 15 minutes of work you can put a bigger rear sway bar on the outback that will tighten it up quite a bit. The stock tires are too soft - running them around 38/36 psi or just putting good tires on also helps the bounciness but I haven't found them to be poor in the rain. My dad and I had both switched to michelins on our 2010s and the ride was much better.

I'd hate to put money in a leased car, but $100 isn't too much for the increased ride confidence with the rear sway bar. I'd bet you won't wear out the stock tires inside of a lease though.

I have also noticed the car feels much better when it is loaded down.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

If cost is an issue, wait a year or two and get a used Legacy or Forester with the 2.0 turbo in it. It has a really impressive combination of power and fuel efficiency.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything