Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Rusted fuel lines from tank

HELP! has anybody ever had to replace the metal lines coming off the top of the tank? Or replace the fuel pump? I can't believe Subaru did not put an access panel under the seat to get to this stuff! I guess I need to drop the tank but can't seem to be able to get it forward enough to clear the suspension points. Anybody have a slick way to drop the tank???
Old 07-23-2015, 07:37 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Rusted fuel lines from tank

You should have asked this question before you started trying to remove the gas tank. There is an access panel just to the rear of the back seat.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Hi Blacky, I have the rear seat out and there is no access panel there or in the trunk! Unless it is under the mat which is glued to the seat pan! I am working on a 92!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 PM

Hi again Blacky,

I just went out and did some further investigation. I think I found the access panel. Of course I didn't think to pull the carpeting off the back of the seat. Looks like there is an oval panel right in the middle of the ledge between the pass compartment and the truink. Would that be the access by chance? Thanks for the help. I will be removing the carpet first thing in the morning to replace the rest of the fuel lines. Already repaired the ones coming out of the car to the fuel pump lines. All rusted under there. Gotta love PA weather conditions. Well, it is a 92 after all.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:07 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

That's it.
Here in Quebec salt is a killer too. I've replaced the brake lines and fuel lines on all three SVX. One has since been parked because of rot and my '97 is idle waiting for a new rear subframe.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Did you just buy this car? i remember seeing one for sale up that way a few months back
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-24-2015, 06:21 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

If they've failed somewhere around the access panel under the trunk carpet you will hopefully be able to repair them from that point. If the lines have failed somewhere around the tank you'll have to remove it to replace them. If that's the case then you'll have to drop the subframe to get the tank out. Here's how to minimize the work and time required:

-support rear diff/subframe with a 2x6 on a floor jack
-Undo the secondary bolts holding the subframe braces in place (2 ahead, 4 behind)
-Undo the 4 main bolts holding the subframe up
-CAREFULLY lower the jack. Use caution and make sure you don't overload the axle CV joints.
-Undo forward tank strap bolts and slide tank forward.

This saves you from having to fight with the suspension links, which can be fairly unpleasant.

From experience the bolts most likely to give you trouble are the forward two that secure the braces (not the subframe itself). The sheet metal there is quite thin and if those bolts seize you might rip them right out. Get some penetrating oil on there to help yourself out (you can spray it inside through a few holes in the chassis).

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-21-2015, 03:58 PM

I had to do this on both my SVX's and my mechanic was able to snake replacement rubber FUEL INJECTION hoses around the tank and into the rear floor under the back seat. He made the connections in the access panel between the rear seat/trunk and under the rear seat (driver's side) before the lines disappear in the side/rocker area. Didn't need to drop the fuel tank and didn't cost much since it didn't involve fuel tank/sub frame.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:34 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
I had to do this on both my SVX's and my mechanic was able to snake replacement rubber FUEL INJECTION hoses around the tank and into the rear floor under the back seat. He made the connections in the access panel between the rear seat/trunk and under the rear seat (driver's side) before the lines disappear in the side/rocker area. Didn't need to drop the fuel tank and didn't cost much since it didn't involve fuel tank/sub frame.
I had mine done the same way.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.