Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Question Any Legacy RSs or the like in the US?

I just need to clear things up because every time I see a 1989-1994 Legacy RS on the net it is right hand drive. But I see early 90s late 80s Legacys drive around that look a whole lot like the RS, then again most of the Legacy packages at that time had no major differences.

There has been always the Legacy GT, do you know if the 1st generation ones are the same as the RS? It has been just nagging on me.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You need to clear more than a few things up - the Legacy wasn't on sale here in the US until 1990. I had one of the first-year Legacys. It was certainly a nice car for the time.

This guy is mostly right on most of his info. He does have the most info on older Subaru models online, so he is an authority.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html

We never had a 'Legacy RS' here in the US that I know of. We did have a Legacy Turbo and some other variants - but the Legacy GT didn't appear until at least '95. Of course at the same time the turbo was taken away. Nice.

Anyway, I don't know what the Legacy RS's specs were, so I don't know if our Legacy Turbo was the same. I guarantee that the rest of the world got more interesting versions of the 2nd-gen Legacy than we did - our GT had the NA 2.5L.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Superbeast

We got the 91 to 94 Turbo Legacys, unlike the JDS RS's we got SOHC heads and no intercooler. The cars made 160hp as opposed to 200hp? of the RS's. Other than the motor differance and the steering wheel the cars were basicly the same. altho the 91 Turbo legs (first year for the U.S. turbo and last year forthe BF chassis) have turn signals in the bumper where the RS has fog lights.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
[B
We never had a 'Legacy RS' here in the US that I know of. We did have a Legacy Turbo and some other variants - but the Legacy GT didn't appear until at least '95. Of course at the same time the turbo was taken away. Nice.

[/B]
There was a first generation GT model. It was only available in 94 as a wagon as far as I have seen. It was an apperance package only.It was not a turbo but it had side skirts on it along with special wheels. It also had the high roof the was standard on the Outbacks when they came out. The specs are listed on the site you made reference to.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nubs

There was a first generation GT model. It was only available in 94 as a wagon as far as I have seen. It was an apperance package only.It was not a turbo but it had side skirts on it along with special wheels. It also had the high roof the was standard on the Outbacks when they came out. The specs are listed on the site you made reference to.
You're absolutely right, and I drove one in VT when I lived there. Thanks for reminding me.

The owner was funny - he said that the tilt wheel was broken and had been since he bought it new. But it really just worked like the SVX's with a tilt adjustment and a separate 'I have a huge lap' release.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-16-2005, 12:18 AM
no limitation as limitation

i test drove one in hanover pa at a subu dealor. he wanted 9 g for it and it was a 94.... i loved the turbo and five speed but i went for the svx for 2000 (not including the two trans rebuilds and the constant need to pour money into the car) all in all i think the legacy would have been a cheper buy but then again i would have definately blown the turbo and clutch a few times., sometimes i lie awake at night and think of the subarus that could have been.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:05 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
The cars I was considering before the SVX were the Fiero GT (which I found a used one for sale fairly close to me), perhaps a first gen 300ZX Turbo, Suzuki Aerio SX and I am not so sure what else since my mind was pretty much set on the SVX right when I first found out about. The funny Legacy Turbo came into prospective when I rented and played GTA San Andreas with a friend (it was before I got my ride) and I drove around a car in that game that looked exactly like the Legacy Turbo, and it came to me that the Turbocharged first gen Legacy and after walking past a pristine white one I was convinced. But then I submerged more into my SVX euphoria and only after I bought one with me parking to go to the supermarket did I see a silver Legacy Turbo. And with that distinct rumbling I knew I would of went for that if I didn't get the SVX.

I then wanted to find out more info on this car so I searched online until I found stats on the Legacy RS. With 200hp and 230lb of torque with it being able to pull 14s in the 1/4 mile its a quite decent performer, and you can probably use STi parts from the later Legacy or Impreza if there isn't parts for it available as is. But then I looked up on Cars101 to double check the stats I found and found there was no 200hp turbocharged Legacy sold in the US but rather a 160hp one. So that is what got me confused and brought me here to post a topic on it to clear things up. But now I have a SVX, and that is now my #1 Scooby.

I’m sorry if this sounds like a rant, but quite frankly it is.

Last edited by Weebitob; 01-16-2005 at 02:20 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: