How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 06:16 PM

SVX shakes badly

Whenever I start my SVX, and am stopped in park or driving at low speeds, it runs very roughly. It feels fine when I drive at mid to high speeds, but in the low speeds or stopped, the whole car is shaking very roughly. It was fine all of yesterday until the afternoon. It had only been sitting for about 2 hours, and then I drove it home, and it started running roughly. Then I figured it would clear itself up, but it did the same thing today. No engine codes or anything. So Im sure that what everyone will tell me is that I probably have a misfiring cylinder, and need to unplug the injectors one by one to find out which one it is. However, where are the injectors? Every obstacle I come to on my SVX, I need to know the part location before I try it, so can someone give me a vague description of what they look like? Or a picture would be better. I am sure that many of you are reading this and laughing saying "He doesnt know what the injectors look like? Ha Ha!" But I dont, so forgive me.
Will replacing the spark plugs help this out?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
Whenever I start my SVX, and am stopped in park or driving at low speeds, it runs very roughly. It feels fine when I drive at mid to high speeds, but in the low speeds or stopped, the whole car is shaking very roughly. It was fine all of yesterday until the afternoon. It had only been sitting for about 2 hours, and then I drove it home, and it started running roughly. Then I figured it would clear itself up, but it did the same thing today. No engine codes or anything. So Im sure that what everyone will tell me is that I probably have a misfiring cylinder, and need to unplug the injectors one by one to find out which one it is. However, where are the injectors? Every obstacle I come to on my SVX, I need to know the part location before I try it, so can someone give me a vague description of what they look like? Or a picture would be better. I am sure that many of you are reading this and laughing saying "He doesnt know what the injectors look like? Ha Ha!" But I dont, so forgive me.
Will replacing the spark plugs help this out?
that sounds like it could just be the spark plug wires.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
They will be the only things with plastic connectors on them on the sides of the engine. 2 wires/1 plug per injector.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdiddy02
that sounds like it could just be the spark plug wires.
Oops - SVX is COP (coil-on-plug), no spark plug wires.

Pre '96 SVX is not OBDII, no misfire monitor in ECU, so no check engine light for misfire.

Look near the base of the intake manifold runners, the injectors reside there - one per runner. The connectors have latches you need to squeeze before they'll release. Push the connector towards the injector slightly before squeezing the tab, that should make it a little easier.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
the same thing happened to me and it ended up being a bad coil pack, i swapped it out with a spare one i had from a parts car and my car ran better, but also another problem i had that was causing the same symptoms was my harmonic balancer came loose, if you tighten it down it will not shake anymore
Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 PM

The injectors were easy enough to find, I suspected that is what they were in the first place, and you guys just confirmed it for me. So I just unplugged each one, and got the same result each time. The engine would lose power, cut down for alittle like it was going to die, and then come back up to its original power. All six did the exact same thing. 19svx94, any info that you could provide for me on the location of the coil pack and harmonic balancer would be appreciated, as this is my next place to look, seeing as how I got no difference from unplugging the injectors.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
The injectors were easy enough to find, I suspected that is what they were in the first place, and you guys just confirmed it for me. So I just unplugged each one, and got the same result each time. The engine would lose power, cut down for alittle like it was going to die, and then come back up to its original power. All six did the exact same thing. 19svx94, any info that you could provide for me on the location of the coil pack and harmonic balancer would be appreciated, as this is my next place to look, seeing as how I got no difference from unplugging the injectors.
The coil packs are directly fastened to each of the spark plugs.

The harmonic balancer is bolted to the front of the crankshaft, it's the metal 'wheel' in the center front of the engine that drives the accessory belts.

Good Luck,
Dan