Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 AM

Registered SVX
Subaru BRZ Coupe Announced!

Quote:
Press Release:

Subaru Names All-New Sports Car "SUBARU BRZ"

- FHI to display its Technology Concept at 64th Frankfurt Motor Show -

Tokyo, August 23, 2011
- Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced that Subaru's new rear-wheel drive sports car, which is currently under joint development with Toyota Motor Corporation, will be named "SUBARU BRZ". "BRZ" stands for "Boxer engine", "Rear-wheel drive" and "Zenith" and embodies ultimate passion for the new sports car and confidence in its distinctive trademark and core technology: the "Horizontally-Opposed Subaru Boxer engine". The start of production is planned for spring 2012.

FHI will exhibit the technology concept of the "SUBARU BRZ", named "SUBARU BRZ PROLOGUE - BOXER Sports Car Architecture II - ", at the 64th Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2011. (Press day: September 13 and 14; Open to the public from September 15 through 25, 2011)

A special site will be opened today at 12:00 on the Subaru Global Site.
http://www.subaru-global.com/11frankfurt/teaser/

Under the brand statement "Confidence in Motion", Subaru brand always inspires confidence with customers through its commitment to "engineering excellence". With the core ideal of "engineering excellence", Subaru continues to provide customers with "Enjoyment and Peace of Mind" in all Subaru products.
Copyied from the FT86 site.
The name is different.
Cant wait to see the Subaru Concept .
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Subaru BRZ Coupe Announced!

I'm looking forward to seeing it too, but wish they could have made it AWD then they would have finally had a successor to the SVX.
1992 Teal SVX parts car
Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Its a four cylinder that LOOKS like it has a blower under the manifold.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Only a 4 cylinder block and they couldn't fit a center differential? And why not an H6? They could even offer a supercharged or turbocharged H6. Subaru is going backwards fast. Their most expensive model has unacceptable quality issues (rapidly deteriorating front sway bar bushings, failing door bracket welds, warping rotors, rapidly corroding contacts on sensors, vibrations at highway speeds and so on). My last Outback (2002) also seemed to be of lesser quality that the first generation Outback I owned (1997). The SVX's issues are well documented here as are the head gasket issues, rotor issues, wheel bearing issues and oil leaking issues along all products in their lineup.

Honestly, my next car will probably be a Honda Crosstour AWD at this point.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Its a four cylinder that LOOKS like it has a blower under the manifold.
Well now, that would be about 2/3 or what dreams are made of, yeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Only a 4 cylinder block and they couldn't fit a center differential? And why not an H6? They could even offer a supercharged or turbocharged H6.
Folks got a lil' catchin' up to do around these parts. The intent of this car (which will also be a Scion) is to be a light, inexpensive car. Scrubbing the AWD and moving the engine back reduces weight and cost and helps balance. This is not meant to be a flagship or the third iteration of the Alcyone.

In other words, Tony, the reason you're disappointed with this steak is because it's actually a BLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru
BRZ
Beers? Bears? Breeze? Bras? Bars?

It still beats any Toyota TRD.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 08-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe if the car becomes successful they will put out a AWD version. I am looking forward to seeing the design, but I have mixed feelings, it would suck to buy a Subaru that you couldn't drive in the winter, and there are a lot of other RWD coupes now. A AWD sport coupe would really distinguish it as a Subaru while a RWD just puts it in with a bunch of other competitors. Still I am happy to see that Subaru is finally, finally coming out with another coupe, and hopefully they won't make it ugly.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Hater

if this had AWD and a turbo, i would definitely have bought one, assuming the styling wasn't too goofy.

i wanted a small quick car with good handling i could drive all year. even the STi's and EVO's aren't that little anymore - the freakin' WRX/STi's are now as big as my previous '05 Legacy was.

after having several 300+ hp cars, 200hp or less isn't going to cut it, no matter how light the thing is. its basically just going to be a RWD Scion.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If it has a 2.5 non turbo engine I definitely will not buy it. I don't need a headgasket timebomb no matter the styling.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
If it has a 2.5 non turbo engine I definitely will not buy it. I don't need a headgasket timebomb no matter the styling.
I hear it will have the new 2.0 that is going to be in the 2012 impreza
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Turbo/Supercharged, H6, AWD, and a beautiful body would make me finally buy my first NEW car..

Here's hoping..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Turbo/Supercharged, H6, AWD, and a beautiful body would make me finally buy my first NEW car..

Here's hoping..

don't get your hopes up.

confirmed RWD, NA. from the NASIOC News & Rumors forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
Guys - there are no plans for an AWD version or a Turbo of this car. The spirit of this car is small, simple, fun to drive and lightweight.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM

I have gotten into a lot of trouble over on NASIOC, (I am HipToBeSquare on that forum) in that thread, for decrying this product wearing a Subaru badge.

I have no problem with it's existence, but it should be a Scion/Toyota, with a "powered by Subaru" badge.

The fact that Subaru is selling this greatly diminishes the possibility of any AWD sport coupe in the foreseeable near to mid-range future.

I badly wanted a successor to SVX, or even just 2.5RS.

I REALLY wished Subaru would put a performance H6 in *something*, also.

I am having a hard time being enthused about any new Subaru at all, anymore.

I am even considering whether to replace my Legacy with something more practical, like an 08-09 Tribeca, (used, unpopular, perhaps means low price...)

And then, maybe a better SVX than I have now, like a 94 Laguna Blue manual-gearbox-swapped car. (or one with a custom WRB-like paint job, and a black roof.)

I don't want to give up my Legacy GT easily, but I have been overextending it's cargo capacity lately, and I want my sporty car fix in a sleeker shape, and I want a nicer SVX that hasn't been previously bent significantly in a wreck. Something worth putting some effort into making even more special.

I am feeling like very much of a black-sheep Subaru enthusiast, so I figure an SVX and Tribeca would be a good pair of black-sheep Subarus. Different by being smoother and sleeker inside and out, than others. Different by fitting 5x114 wheels, where most others don't. Different by being solely H6 powered. Different by not catering to the lowest common denominator, and being uncommonly well equipped for Subaru.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 08-23-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Here's to hoping that this doesn't turn into the same thing that the NASIOC thread has become.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Only a 4 cylinder block and they couldn't fit a center differential?
Center diff isn't the problem, it's the front diff. Removing it allows them to mount the engine several inches lower and farther back. Lower C of G, better weight distribution...

Quote:
And why not an H6?
Too heavy and unnecessary. The car is supposed to come in sub-3000 lbs, and a well tuned 4-cylinder is plenty for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Maybe if the car becomes successful they will put out a AWD version.
Impossible using Subaru's current systems, the engine will literally sit where the front axles would normally go. Unless you can figure out a way to put a differential inside a crankcase it's not going to work.

And what's so wrong with it not having AWD? Yes, I know that's Subaru's signiture feature, but has anyone here ever driven a lightweight, well balanced, RWD coupe? S2000, 240SX, Miata... In terms of fun to drive these cars will stomp every modern Subaru all day long. And as for winter... Throw a set of snow tires on it. If you still get into trouble you're doing something wrong.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Here's to hoping that this doesn't turn into the same thing that the NASIOC thread has become.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.
If SVX enthusiasts respond the same way to me, as the vicious ad-hominem personal attacks in response, that I receive at NASIOC, I will be very surprised.

This forum always seems far more civil than NASIOC does.

I have made my point, and don't mind a civil conversation. I come to these forums looking for civil conversation about topical points, and I am often met with something else.

But if the conversation doesn't need to get un-civil, and I've said my piece.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: