Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START!

I just bought a relay and installed it. Took about 15 minutes. My car starts every time now
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Ok... I just spent an hour under the dash of my SVX looking for this daggum thing... and I didn't even see it.

I saw an orange relay and plug, that I put back on it's mounting tab, as it was hanging...

I saw a rubber covered sort of relay screwed to a point under the steering column. But only three leads... didn't look like the right thing.

Lots of plugs, lots of wiring under there, but I didn't see a bosch-style relay.

I just went back and looked at Eric's posted pictures.... and it looks like it is near a white sliding linkage assembly... just to confirm, that is around the top of the brake pedal, and the white linkage is the hood release, right?

Or is it on the gas-pedal, and HVAC side?

I suppose tomorrow, I should take back the 4-pin relay, and get the 5 pin relay, anyway.

It all gives me an excuse to put on the new ignition light ring, and a better-condition steering wheel shroud, anyway.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:57 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Ok... I just spent an hour under the dash of my SVX looking for this daggum thing... and I didn't even see it.

I saw an orange relay and plug, that I put back on it's mounting tab, as it was hanging...

I saw a rubber covered sort of relay screwed to a point under the steering column. But only three leads... didn't look like the right thing.

Lots of plugs, lots of wiring under there, but I didn't see a bosch-style relay.

I just went back and looked at Eric's posted pictures.... and it looks like it is near a white sliding linkage assembly... just to confirm, that is around the top of the brake pedal, and the white linkage is the hood release, right?

Or is it on the gas-pedal, and HVAC side?

I suppose tomorrow, I should take back the 4-pin relay, and get the 5 pin relay, anyway.

It all gives me an excuse to put on the new ignition light ring, and a better-condition steering wheel shroud, anyway.
mine was on the gas pedal hvac side...Thunder Tom said its supposed to be mounted to the steering colum.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 PM

ok...

I'll have to take another look.

The bit that was screwed to the steering column looks like a relay, with three pins, not four or five... although it had a metal mounting tab, which could have served as a ground, instead of a fourth pin for ground.

The odd thing is that it was covered in a rubber square sleeve, with a slot at the top for the mounting tab to come through, and just the electrical plug coming out of the other end. It almost looked weather-proofed or something.

It had a Mitsubishi/Subaru part number on the rubber sleeve, but I didn't jot it down. It is fairly easy to get to, so maybe I'll take it off, and snap some pics tomorrow.

I did take it down, and disconnected it to investigate... then put it right back. The car did start a bit easier, afterward...

BTW... what is the little footwell light bulb supposed to attach to down there? it was just hanging on it's wire, and I didn't see a place to fasten it to...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:53 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Mine was mounted to the steering column. Its on the left side of the steering column if you are looking at it from the outside of the car.

It's on the right side of the steering column if you are underneath the dash lying down.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

the three pin is for your blinkers/hazards. Don't mess with that one they are fragile.

There is a 4 wire harness going to a 5pin relay connector. Yes it still uses 4 wires but the relay must be the 5 pin style

Tom
Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post
the three pin is for your blinkers/hazards. Don't mess with that one they are fragile.
Ah - so that is what I destroyed when I did the heater core last weekend.

I was wondering what it did. It did not like to still be connected when I dropped the steering column. A little super glue and solder and I patched her up. Must have done a decent job, my signals all work.

Well, that doesn't explain why my airbag light is on now. I was hoping that little gadget was what did it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Gotta love this site!

This thread just saved me a whole pile of heartache and expense. I had this same problem and, with the information in this thread, I fixed it an 15 minutes. Before I found this thread I had planned to replace my starter when it wasn't the problem at all.

Thanks to all who contributed.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Gotta love this site!

Eric helped me out with this back at the Pumpkin Carve Meet in October at OT's and I haven't had a click since then

Over the summer I replaced the ignition switch which helped to reduce the clicking to an occasional problem, but this has eliminated it completely...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe this thread should be made a sticky for all to easily find in the future...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Maybe this thread should be made a sticky for all to easily find in the future...
At the very least a reference, or better still a link, should be included within the how to stuff.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Well it finally happened to me..click click click yadda yadda yadda why wont this ****ing car start!.....after tracing the wiring diagram and drawing out the circuit I began to do a simple voltage drop test in the most conspicuous area....THE INHIBITOR RELAY!!! GUESS WHAT!!! BAD INTERNAL CONTACTS...VOLTAGE DROP!!!

Ok sorry I got a little CAPS happy

replace relay...start start start start start

US models only, so our non us members with non us spec SVXii could not assist....we suck..before adding relays do yourself a favor and replace the bad one first.

Inhibitor relay + inhibits starting = fail.
Thanks SE!!! saved me a bunch of troubleshooting!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Very handy thread, second that this should be kept somewhere handily found.

my car has been starting every time since. Big help in the reliability department.

Thanks, SVX World Network, and SomethingElse, in particular.

------------

Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Very handy thread, second that this should be kept somewhere handily found.

my car has been starting every time since. Big help in the reliability department.

Thanks, SVX World Network, and SomethingElse, in particular.
Reference most certainly should be be included within the how too stuff.

Here we have a fault located and fixed, rather than the application of a band aid. The fitting of a slave relay is a means of overcoming a defective circuit, but when the fault has not been located and fixed, future trouble remains in the waiting.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Reference most certainly should be be included within the how too stuff.

Here we have a fault located and fixed, rather than the application of a band aid. The fitting of a slave relay is a means of overcoming a defective circuit, but when the fault has not been located and fixed, future trouble remains in the waiting.
Consider the request submitted to those who can make this happen.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.