Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale

Old 03-08-2022, 11:02 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Damaged 1996 SVX L for sale in Atlanta GA

With a heavy heart, I'm finally needing to sell my wrecked SVX.

I'm the original owner. I bought the car new in September 1996 with 65 miles on it in Tyler, TX. Spent a few days in Dallas babying it, then drove it home to Atlanta.

It was hit in the front left by another car that ran a red light. That was in November 2008. I had it towed into my garage, where it has been ever since. It was also garaged all except between 1 and 2 years of its life.

Location of the SVX: Atlanta, GA

Year: 1996

Model: L

VIN: JF1CX8358TH100714

Manufacture date: 1/1996

Paint Color: Laguna Blue Pearl

Interior Color: Gray

Mileage: 139,180

Options: No extras. Features standard on 1996 L: AWD, dual airbags, rear spoiler, fabric seats.

Not present (things an LSi model would have): moonroof, power driver's seat, leather, factory CD player, security system, tweeters

AWD or FWD: AWD

Major service: I kept up with 30/60/90K services, and have done oil changes myself. Also:

Replaced radiator, water pump, nearly all of the hoses, 2 knock sensors, and rebuilt the P/S pump approx. 13 months and 15K miles prior to the collision.

Replaced both front axles and all 4 brake pads approx. 4 months and 4K miles prior to the collision.

Both rear bearings have been replaced, one side twice. The 3rd time, they replaced the whole hub assembly. Repairs were covered by Subaru both in warranty and even slightly past. No further problems afterwards (more than 41K of noise-free driving). I miss the SVX's quietness.

Maintenance Records: Yes -- have all receipts.

Engine Condition: Was running well at time of collision. It has always passed emissions tests.

Transmission condition: Was working great at time of collision with no issues

Glass condition: All glass is good except front windshield

Type of tires and remaining tread: Toyo Proxes 4 installed 2 years prior to the collision (in 2006). Approx. 9/64" tread remaining. They have about 21K miles on them. In the garage, they've been out of the sun, but are now quite a few years old.

Type of wheels: Stock alloy

Interior condition: Extremely good, very clean. No tears, or fading. Everything works. Visors do not droop.

One owner, non-smoker, no pets, seldom had passengers. Very few SVXs look this good inside.

Body condition: See notes below about the collisions. No fading or rust. The usual small dings and paint chips, except a larger chip on the spoiler. No fading on plastic trim/cladding, and no fading, cracks, or pitting of the rubber weather stripping.

The insurance claims rep was very impressed by what he saw inside and out.

Known defects or problems: See notes below

Comments about the car: Everything is still stock. No mods (except aftermarket radio/CD, now removed).

Asking price: Looking for best offer $1500 or above.

I figure the clean interior, engine, and transmission are worth at least that much. Plus the hood, trunk lid, glass, 3 wheels, and many other parts that are salvageable. Or the whole car might even be repairable.

Buyer must come here to pick it up; I will not ship. I can help you load it onto a trailer.

I'll upload additional pictures soon (after it stops raining and gets sunny again).

More on the collision:

Quote:
The front of the other car slammed into my front left wheel, front quarter panel, and door, and spun my car about 45° into another car that had been in the next lane to my right. Fortunately, nobody was injured. The other two cars were able to drive away. Mine was no longer drivable. My airbags did not deploy.

The top of the front left wheel got angled inward towards the engine and was pressed tightly against the strut. I've removed that wheel, and will see if I can still bolt on the spare.

Windshield received several long, vertical cracks near the left A-pillar. All other glass is still good.

The right turn signal lens is also cracked and has a piece missing.

Driver's door no longer opens very far. I can latch it closed again, but the top edge no longer seals. I closed it on a pool noodle to seal it as much as possible.

Shortly after the accident, I had a mechanic friend (actually an aircraft A&P who has also done a great deal of car work) take a look. We jacked up the front corner to look underneath. He saw that the top of the wheel/tire was slammed into the strut. The strut is now bowed in slightly. Tire is still holding air, but he said the wheel is very likely damaged too (didn't recommend trying to reuse it without a thorough inspection for cracks or bends).

My friend thought that the frame still looked straight. However, the driver's door hinge pin is now a little more towards the centerline of the car.

Immediately after the collision, what I'm pretty sure was P/S fluid started leaking from the area near the rack, so that needs to be examined. But it does not appear that the force of the collision was conveyed along the axle to the transmission.

The hood got a small bend at the very rear tip on the driver's side when I opened the hood to check if the battery had been damaged (it had not) and that tip caught on the edge of the quarter panel. I've since pulled the quarter panel away from the hood and pressed that tip back into position by hand. That tip might need a little more caressing, but otherwise the hood is in very good shape.

My car did have prior damage from a side-swipe collision on the opposite corner (very rear edge of right door, and right rear quarter panel forward of the rear wheel). There did not appear to be any frame damage -- the passenger door and its window still work fine. However, the right rear window is impeded from rolling down all the way by the large dent. Car was completely drivable after that incident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996 SVX damage 03.jpg (128.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 1996 SVX damage 04.jpg (105.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 1996 SVX damage 06.jpg (140.4 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by SVXdc; 03-09-2022 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:57 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Damaged 1996 SVX L for sale in Atlanta GA

Very sorry to hear of your wreck. I hope the car finds a good home and keeps others on the road.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:56 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I have to agree, very low traffic volume here. The Facebook group has pretty much activity. Best of luck!
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 04-01-2022, 02:44 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Bump. Any interest?
Old 04-05-2022, 10:01 AM