How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-08-2003, 02:19 PM
StaceyVX

Check Engine Light & Exhaust Buzz

Okay, I put this in another post in another forum, but I wanted to get some more opinions...This is on a 92 SVX...I just want to know if you would buy this car with these issues and mainly if the CE light is a big issue. I know one issue is that if it's not fixed, you won't know when something DOES go wrong.

"There are a couple non-issues that someone might decide they would rather have taken care of - one is the 'check engine' light on the dash comes on intermiitantly: it's been that way for years; I had the dealer evaluate it and was told that when they hooked up the computer to it, since it was triggering error codes randomly and with no pattern, then they decided it must be a fault in the wiring harness and it was up to me if I wanted them to perform electrical diagnostics to see if they could pinpoint ithe source of the false errors. Since such work could take hours, I decided it wasn't worth it, and that I'd live with the light.

The other one is in one of the exhaust pipes - when the tach is exactly on 2k, and only 2k, you sometimes hear a buzzing sound. This comes from the fact that inside a sealed area in one of the exhaust pipes is a section containing baffling, and one of the baffles has come loose, and as the air passes through it, at a certain speed, it causes it to vibrate at a certain harmonic. When I had this looked at, they told me it was again my choice whether to replace it for a few hundred bucks (dealer cost; I'm sure it's a lot less with used parts), or to just live with the harmless but sometimes annoying sound. So since I wasn't going to drive it terribly often, I chose not to spend on the replacement. This also was several years ago."
Old 04-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

I'd consider the C/E light a potential big deal and get a dealer to check it out - nothing against the seller, but some people trying to sell their cars have been known to lie a time or two.

The exhaust isn't a big deal - it's probably a resonator and can be replaced with straight pipe by any muffler shop for pretty cheap. It might be a little louder, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

And welcome to the forum, and good luck on your decision!
2001 Outback Sport

Last edited by sfsvx; 04-08-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:59 PM
StaceyVX

Thank you 3 times over.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:05 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
agreed with Dick!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
Thank you 3 times over.
Twice is usually enough for me, I'm a pretty humble guy.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 04-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Check Engine Light & Exhaust Buzz

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX

The other one is in one of the exhaust pipes - when the tach is exactly on 2k, and only 2k, you sometimes hear a buzzing sound. This comes from the fact that inside a sealed area in one of the exhaust pipes is a section containing baffling, and one of the baffles has come loose, and as the air passes through it, at a certain speed, it causes it to vibrate at a certain harmonic. When I had this looked at, they told me it was again my choice whether to replace it for a few hundred bucks (dealer cost; I'm sure it's a lot less with used parts), or to just live with the harmless but sometimes annoying sound. So since I wasn't going to drive it terribly often, I chose not to spend on the replacement. This also was several years ago."
When my exhaust was buzzing, just as you describe Stacey, it was caused by the heat shield above one of the cats. My tire and exhaust dealer fixed it, by applying a small spot or two of bronze weld to the loose heat shield. Has not buzzed since, from nearly two years ago. Minimal cost.

Get this checked out before you spend on a fix. Could save you $$.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-08-2003, 05:30 PM

I am still calling for the resonator. Put it on a lift, get someone to sit in it and rev it up. See where the noise is coming from. Easy fix/find.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 04-09-2003, 07:44 AM
StaceyVX

Thanks...I'm not sure if I'm getting the car after seeing it, though. (See "I Need Advice...Again" thread in general forum).
Old 04-09-2003, 03:09 PM
red95svx

I had a similar exhaust rattle and it was fixed with a couple of spot welds to a loose shield. Very cheap, very effective.

As for your mysterious trouble codes: I've seen a few Subaru's that did this and they all needed the same thing...a new computer. Hopefully you won't need one ($$$)!

Dave
Old 04-10-2003, 06:51 AM
StaceyVX

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Soemthing's telling me to forget that car...
Old 04-10-2003, 10:36 AM

If the car is in Philly, some of us can come out and check it out over the weekend.

I am still not sure if I am coming yet. Doug has been asking. I am going to exchange the throttle bodies again and see if it helps. Also, I need to go see a judge on Friday AM and I can't afford to put the car in the garage at this time.

L
Old 04-10-2003, 12:09 PM
StaceyVX

Lwin, yea it's in Philly, but there's so much stuff I'd wanna do to it to make it look decent, I don't think it's worth it considering he wants BlueBook value. He left out a lot of things (as I said in the other thread where I asked advice) and that made me mad that I drove all the way over only to find out there was a bunch of things wrong.

I am looking at PittKid's car now and I'm trying to find out if anyone here lives near him that would be able to check it out for me.