Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 11:43 AM
scottheaney

3rd O2 sensor at '96 Cat convertor

I really like the exhuast note of the Stebro "Euro Resonator". It is a replacment for our Cat Convertor. The '96 & '97 year SVX's have a 3rd O2 sensor that mounts to the OEM Cat Convertor, but the Stebro design does take this into account. I think they designed it around an ealier model.

What would happen if I unhooked the 3rd O2 sensor. I assume the check engine error light would come on, but could it be eliminated somehow? Would there be any cons to doing this?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:18 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I would think that an O2 sensor mount could be added to the Euro Resonator. However, what I don't know is if the signal from the O2 sensor would confuse the ECU.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Hater

Re: 3rd O2 sensor at '96 Cat convertor

Quote:
Originally posted by scottheaney
I really like the exhuast note of the Stebro "Euro Resonator". It is a replacment for our Cat Convertor. The '96 & '97 year SVX's have a 3rd O2 sensor that mounts to the OEM Cat Convertor, but the Stebro design does take this into account. I think they designed it around an ealier model.

What would happen if I unhooked the 3rd O2 sensor. I assume the check engine error light would come on, but could it be eliminated somehow? Would there be any cons to doing this?
Euro Resonator? i didn't see anything about it on the Stebro site, just the cat-back exhaust. is this a new product?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-27-2003, 07:13 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Don't know how new it is, but I can tell you that it is an expansion chamber (volume approx equal to 1.5x the volume of the cat) that goes in place of the 3rd cat. He doesn't advertise it for some reason. I've got one though. Its very cool. Adds good sound and I think it boosts power.

I've posted some sound files of the Stebro muffler with the Euro Resonator. See this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&pagenumber=16

You need to turn up the volume and play it over real speakers to hear the correct sound.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 03-27-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Probably not advertised because it is illegal in the U.S. Not that the emissions cops are going to bust your door down but it is also illegal for anyone, including the car's owner, to remove any emission related equipment. The fine(s) is pretty stiff, if someone made an issue of it, last time I heard it was $25k per incident.

That being said, the rear or third O2 sensor is for monitioring cat performance/efficiency. It is found on OBDII equipped vehicles. Basically it watches for higher O2 ratios after the cat(s) than the sensor(s) ahead of the cat(s) is reporting. Each OEM has a slightly different perspective on how to decide when something is amiss and at what threshold to turn on the MIL. Disconnecting the sensor will cause a circuit error code and installing it into the pipe without a cat will do the same. Plucking the MIL bulb from its socket isn't terribly smart either, you won't know when something wrong (and potentially extremely damaging/expensive) is ocurring. Sorry, but if you like the pipe rather than the cat you better get used to seeing an amber glow...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:19 AM
scottheaney

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Probably not advertised because it is illegal in the U.S. Not that the emissions cops are going to bust your door down but it is also illegal for anyone, including the car's owner, to remove any emission related equipment. The fine(s) is pretty stiff, if someone made an issue of it, last time I heard it was $25k per incident.

That being said, the rear or third O2 sensor is for monitioring cat performance/efficiency. It is found on OBDII equipped vehicles. Basically it watches for higher O2 ratios after the cat(s) than the sensor(s) ahead of the cat(s) is reporting. Each OEM has a slightly different perspective on how to decide when something is amiss and at what threshold to turn on the MIL. Disconnecting the sensor will cause a circuit error code and installing it into the pipe without a cat will do the same. Plucking the MIL bulb from its socket isn't terribly smart either, you won't know when something wrong (and potentially extremely damaging/expensive) is ocurring. Sorry, but if you like the pipe rather than the cat you better get used to seeing an amber glow...
Thanks for the incite Beav. My gut told me it was not a road I should go down, but not being as "car tech. smart" as others in the forum, it is really good to get detailed info from somebody who is. I am trying to pick up more as time goes on so I can do some of my own maintenance/mods.

When I emailed Dan at stebro he did tell me that it was not emissions legal and for track use only. At first I thought there was a difference between living in a state that does not do emissions checks and "emissions legal". Now I know the difference!

I think I will stick with enjoying the pieces of the system I have and leave at at that.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:23 AM
scottheaney

Re: 3rd O2 sensor at '96 Cat convertor

Quote:
Originally posted by scottheaney

Just to clarify what I meant to say above is "..., but the Stebro design DOES NOT take this into account."

That's why I don't type for a living
Old 03-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I run into a lot of people that tell me "But I don't have emission inspection where I live so just take it off!" Unfortunately it doesn't work that way (well, actually I don't think it's unfortunate), the emission laws that govern tampering is federal law and everyone in the U.S. is under their jurisdiction.