Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM
MacArthur

Re: I found a lot of water backseat floor, passenger side???

Hi, all. This is an old thread, but a current issue to me. After buying a second SVX, i parked the first one out in the weather for the winter with all the windows tightly closed. After a few months of the occasional start and drive around the block, the ABS light came on. The passenger side carpet above the ABS control module was absolutely soaked....the rainwater had drowned the ABS control module, too. The posts in this thread about this problem seem unclear to provide the definite solution as to where and how this large amount of water gets into the car on the passenger side only. Does anyone know the answer as to why the leaking only occurs on the passenger side? I live in a rainy climate. thanks everyone.

~ Robert
Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Since this is an OLD thread. Well I have the same problem. we had a lot of rain yesterday and yes I got a lot of water in my passenger seat area. Now I removed the seat a long time ago. There does not appear to be any water in the front.. Points of reference. There is a support bar, the 2 front seat bolts attach to. Everything in front of that bar was fine. Everything behind it.. Was soggy. like when you stepped in water was coming up on the shoes a bit. It was a A LOT. I just took towels and sponged it up and let it air dry. I had noticed oh a long time ago. I would feel some dampness under the rear passenger mat. never could figure out where it came from. It was usually just a damp.
Now It's getting wet. I mean soaking wet.. To the guy that mentioned the control box under the carpet I was wondering what I felt under there moving around a bit. No It's probably not good it being exposed to water. What a time to be moving and not have BOOKS or Diagrams to look up where THINGS are. Like Sun roof drain tubes. or anything else.
If anyone has more information on this. Please POST

SVX 1999

and if your wondering why I removed the passenger seat. Remember guys the 10th Anniversary meet in Indiana. I had a Great Dane with me... Well she was Old then but sill lived to be 13. I now have another ONE. So it's just more comfortable for her and easier on my aging leather rear seat.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to PaulCa13

Twice since I've had my '92 I've found the trunk flooded. It turns out it was the seal around the power antenna in both cases. The base of the antenna mounts to the plastic nacelle, not to the body itself. So when I ended up with a lot of green goop from tree debris (inevitable when parking under cedars) the moisture overflowed the weatherstrip around the trunk and started working its way in.
I removed the weatherstrip, scrubbed the rim of the trunk opening, reinstalled the weatherstrip and, for good measure, used some black weatherstrip adhesive from below to seal up the antenna.

Now I'm trying to find the drain hoses from the sunroof. I have sheepskins on the front seats and, the other day, when my girlfriend got in the car she got soaked through. During heavy rain today I saw a steady stream of water coming through the sunroof opening just to the right of front center, making a lovely little lake on my passenger seat.

By the way, once you get the carpet out, you'll likely find some plastic drain plugs, just like the ones in the spare-tire well. That should help you get the water down to a manageable level.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I hate when I don't realize I'm reading a thread from 2003 until I see links that don't work.

Water under my carpet was the cause of the window relay failing. I have assumed it is also the cause of my ABS failing (water damage to harness) but just haven't taken the time to look.
Anticipating I would never solve the problem, I wrapped the relay electronics in plastic.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.