Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2003, 08:45 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
OEM wiper arms...

I was just reading through a thread about wiper blades and saw a posting by Randy about OEM wiper arms having a rubber stopper that sets on the rubber blocks below the windshield. I was wondering what the heck was up with those things! The wiper arms that came with my car were not OEM and did not have a rubber stopper to set on the rubber blocks. Everytime I parked the wipers, the wiper surface would stop on the rubber blocks and trash the wiper blade surface. I'm going to order some OEM wiper arms today. Can anyone show me a picture of them so I know what I'm ordering?

Thanks!

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

wipers

You don't want the wiper ARMS. Thats what holds the wiper assemembly. the block Randy was talking about is on the wiper. you want new OEM (SUBARU) wipers. 22in drivers side , 20 in passenger side , and 18in in the rear. happy wiping. BOBB
Old 03-11-2003, 09:52 AM
sans SVX

Re: wipers

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobb
You don't want the wiper ARMS. Thats what holds the wiper assemembly. the block Randy was talking about is on the wiper. you want new OEM (SUBARU) wipers. 22in drivers side , 20 in passenger side , and 18in in the rear. happy wiping. BOBB
Cool! Thanks.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: wipers

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobb
I posted once about the whole "arms" vs "blades" vs "refills" dilemma. One of my co-workers came in after a visit to a repair shop and was going off about the cost of wiper "blades." He couldn't believe that wiper "blades" cost 25 bucks apiece. I asked him if he asked for blades. He said, "yes." Then, that's what you got. "That's an awful lot for a little strip of rubber," he said. Yeah, but not for a strip of rubber and a hunk of metal, on a full retail scale, anyway. "But I just wanted the little strip of rubber replaced," he said. "Then you should have asked for wiper 'refills'" I informed him.

So, if you only want the rubber replaced, it's a 'refill'

If you want the metal piece that holds the 'refill' AND a 'refill', then, ask for a 'blade.'

If you want the part that fits at the lower portion of the windshield and attaches directly to the "back and forth thingy," that's the "Arm" and doesn't come with a blade or refill. You have to by the "arm" and then, buy a "blade" (which comes with a "refill") to get the ENTIRE assembly.

I posted the part numbers for the OE Subaru "Blade" in the other thread (it comes with a "refill."). I had looked for pics, but, haven't been able to find any that were sufficient to show the actual "stopper." As I said, in the other thread, make sure to *stress* that you want the OE SVX blade, or, they'll try to fit you with a generic "non stoppered" blade from a Legacy or somesuch.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-13-2003, 10:02 AM
sans SVX

Got my OEM "wipers" yesterday. Very Nice! Its great to be able to park the wipers in the low profile position without trashing the wiper blades.

Visit my locker

Old 03-13-2003, 10:05 AM

Has anyone tried successfully to use aftermarket "refills" in OEM blades?

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski

Matt
Not yet (just got my new OEM SVX wiper BLADES two weeks ago).

Now I need to adjust the wiper ARMS so they park in the proper place.

The rear wiper BLADE doesn't have one of those rubber bumpers, does it?
2001 Outback Sport
Old 03-13-2003, 10:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

Matt
Absolultely. There are very good re-fills on the market. The Bosch Micro-Edge are nice. Even your standard Trico is fine. Where most people have a problem, is having to buy two sets of refills to replace the two different length refills. They opt to buy two equal length "blades" which come with refills (one salesman -- not knowing what a purist I was -- actually suggested this to me once -- if looks could kill, he'd have dropped dead on the spot). Thing is, if you buy two sets, you're set for the next time. And, if rubber prices go up in the future, you've saved some money.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Where most people have a problem, is having to buy two sets of refills to replace the two different length refills. They opt to buy two equal length "blades" which come with refills (one salesman -- not knowing what a purist I was -- actually suggested this to me once -- if looks could kill, he'd have dropped dead on the spot). Thing is, if you buy two sets, you're set for the next time. And, if rubber prices go up in the future, you've saved some money.
My local Pep Boys stocks single Trico and Bosch refills, so I know they're available.

My problem with buying two sets is that I can't ever find the extra set when it's time to replace the first set.

< honey, time for you to clean out the garage . . . >
2001 Outback Sport
Old 03-13-2003, 10:42 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx

Not yet (just got my new OEM SVX wiper BLADES two weeks ago).

Now I need to adjust the wiper ARMS so they park in the proper place.

The rear wiper BLADE doesn't have one of those rubber bumpers, does it?
I don't think that a bumper is necessary for the rear wiper. There is no parking stop that I've seen for the rear wiper system.

Visit my locker

Old 03-13-2003, 10:43 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I don't think that a bumper is necessary for the rear wiper. There is no parking stop that I've seen for the rear wiper system.
No, there's no bumper on the rear blade.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 10:45 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx

My local Pep Boys stocks single Trico and Bosch refills, so I know they're available.

My problem with buying two sets is that I can't ever find the extra set when it's time to replace the first set.

< honey, time for you to clean out the garage . . . >
I keep mine in my trunk. Or, at least, I used to. Now that I have two SVXes, it's not a problem. I just change refills on both at the same time.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Absolultely. There are very good re-fills on the market. The Bosch Micro-Edge are nice. Even your standard Trico is fine. Where most people have a problem, is having to buy two sets of refills to replace the two different length refills. They opt to buy two equal length "blades" which come with refills (one salesman -- not knowing what a purist I was -- actually suggested this to me once -- if looks could kill, he'd have dropped dead on the spot). Thing is, if you buy two sets, you're set for the next time. And, if rubber prices go up in the future, you've saved some money.
Randy, please do not tell me that you are using non-OEM refills.

Next you will recommend non-OEM windshield washer fluid.

I suggest we have a contest at Reading IV to see who can identify the most non-OEM items on Randy's "Evil Twin".

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:29 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Randy, please do not tell me that you are using non-OEM refills.
Did I say that? No. Did I say I recommended non-OEM? No. I just said they were available.

(Bra and Wind Deflector both have the SVX Logo )
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Refills

I just put ANCO refills in the OEM set up. Have not had to use them yet but have to drive 150/200 miles on Friday and its forcast to rain so we will all find out. BOBB